Reformatting question

Storm311

My computer startup is just getting horribly slow.  If I were to reformat and just copy all of my installed files back over, and copy the registry back over to the new installation once I was all patched back up would that work or am I better off just reinstalling all of my programs again?

My computer startup is just getting horribly slow.  If I were to reformat and just copy all of my installed files back over, and copy the registry back over to the new installation once I was all patched back up would that work or am I better off just reinstalling all of my programs again?

When I get sick of it, I save all my saves , (games) , and files. Do a DOD on the Hdd, and start from scratch , usually my registry is what gets mucked up .(old sh** hangin around) un-installs, driver updates, and just plain BS.

Just my way of taking care of it  :wink2:

That would be the same as what you have now.  You would need to start fresh and reinstall everything.

that wont work you have to reinstall everything fresh.

Yeah just going to be a nightmare lol i've got so much junk installed.  Before I go to an extreme i want an opinion here from somebody.  My startup didn't get really slow until I did a defrag, from the windows xp loading screen to a point where i can launch a program is about 75 - 85 seconds.  I've taken all necessary programs off of startup but it gets no better...am I better getting another hard drive before I do this?  Currently I have a 75 Gb capacity on the C drive and only 34 Gb are used.  AMD 2800+ and 1.5 Gb RAM. and the GEFORCE 9550 vid card.

Yeah just going to be a nightmare lol i've got so much junk installed.  Before I go to an extreme i want an opinion here from somebody.  My startup didn't get really slow until I did a defrag, from the windows xp loading screen to a point where i can launch a program is about 75 - 85 seconds.  I've taken all necessary programs off of startup but it gets no better...am I better getting another hard drive before I do this?  Currently I have a 75 Gb capacity on the C drive and only 34 Gb are used.  AMD 2800+ and 1.5 Gb RAM. and the GEFORCE 9550 vid card.

when was the last time you reinstalled windows?

Lol I use Xp pro, so I use ASR backup from the first clean install , after I have made sure it had all I needed, then every 6 months or so , I save the files I want to keep, and roll back , only needs a few updates, then I am back up and running in about 30 mins.

I can vouch for CCleaner, I use it about once a week, and backup the changes , but it has never failed me yet ,     

I can't use ASR i don't have a recovery disk, only have my copy of the install disk..thats it, just contains the install for xp, think i might spring for a whole new hard drive anyway, something that works a little bit better and offers me a bit more space :)

that wont help, this is something that just happens to windows. it gets clurted and they only way to fix it is a fresh install.

It was really fragmented at one point so i defragged and that is what killed my startup and overall speed...should i set up defrags like once every couple of weeks or something?

I can't use ASR i don't have a recovery disk, only have my copy of the install disk..thats it, just contains the install for xp, think i might spring for a whole new hard drive anyway, something that works a little bit better and offers me a bit more space :)

Xp pro only needs the original WIN Xp disk , mine is a home built puter ,

just glad I bought the Win Xp disk , and no I wont be buying Vista , well not for a few years  :lol:

The new hard disk is a good idea , I run 2 H/Ds both 7200 rpm x 80 Gb ,more than enough for my needs , the second ( in a caddy ) has my page file and backups on, and space for my saved files , for  my next reload ,  :evil6: 

if you have the Xp install disk, that is all you need for ASR , home i think is is a bit different from Pro , I have never run Xp home, I got Pro from a guy who paid the full $$$$ , then found his puter couldn't   run it ($30 ) :evil6:

I defrag about once every month, along with a complete clean up,and move "stuff" (tech term ) that i need to save over to the 2 H/D  

It was really fragmented at one point so i defragged and that is what killed my startup and overall speed...should i set up defrags like once every couple of weeks or something?

I defrag everytime I start up. It only takes a few minutes to get my updates and defrag and disk cleanup. Then I am good for the night and it does not take very long. It only takes a long time because you seldom do it. Try it, defrag it and then defrag right after that. It should not take over a minute. Yes 60 seconds.  :grin2:

The maintenance schedule is in here storm.

Achieve the Best Performance Out of Your Computer

http://www.testmy.net/t-4257

If you will notice it says bi-weekly on defrag. That is why I do it daily, so I will not forget. And it takes little time that way.   :smiley:

And I try to scan every Saturday morning.  :smitten:

I defrag everytime I start up. It only takes a few minutes to get my updates and defrag and disk cleanup. Then I am good for the night and it does not take very long. It only takes a long time because you seldom do it. Try it, defrag it and then defrag right after that. It should not take over a minute. Yes 60 seconds.  :grin2:

Yes  often defrag only takes a short time  if windows says it dont need it , but I read somewhere frequent defraging places stress on the hard drive ,

it certainly raises the temperature on mine, any views on one long defrag or many short ones ?  coz I dont know whats best in the long term,

mind you I have never lost a H/D  and one of my puters has a H/D 10 years old, and still running OK 

I hate to mention this, since I don't wanna be one of those people that scream virus in a crowded forum, but my sister's computer was taking about 5 minutes to load. I downloaded windows defender, it found 6 backdoor viruses and removed them, it's a lot faster now.

No viruses at all its just that I was fragmented everywhere because on my 9 month old windows install it had never been defragged, just never did it lol

Yes  often defrag only takes a short time  if windows says it dont need it , but I read somewhere frequent defraging places stress on the hard drive ,

it certainly raises the temperature on mine, any views on one long defrag or many short ones ?  coz I dont know whats best in the long term,

mind you I have never lost a H/D  and one of my puters has a H/D 10 years old, and still running OK

You might think of it this way Roco, how long would you let an engine race or rev up? Not for very long but a short burst does not hurt much. I do it everyday with no trouble. Been doing it for over a year. Keeps the bugs out...and quit reading.  :read:

You might think of it this way Roco, how long would you let an engine race or rev up? Not for very long but a short burst does not hurt much. I do it everyday with no trouble. Been doing it for over a year. Keeps the bugs out...and quit reading. :read:

lol tommie I must take you to task over engine revs , it is much better to run a engine at a high speed than to keep  reving  it up ,

short stabs on the gas pedal injects excess fuel which washes the oil off the cylinder bores and causes extra wear , note F1 race engines thay start , run up to around 4-5 K hold it steady , raise it to 9k and go,

so where were we, are yes H/Drives . no mine isn't made by Ferrari , just a common or garden western D ,  :lol: 

ich

defragging often doesn't stress your hard drive more than it stresses it when you defrag once a year.........well, theoretically it is the 'stress' that a hard drive is supposed to be able to handle without any trouble.....

they are made to operate and to be used at all times - if anything, defragging your hard drive will keep your system in tip-top shape and plus not to mention, generally its better for example to defrag once a week then once a month - ....it takes less time to do so (.....generally)

what you can do, to avoid defragging all the time is set a good cluster/block size when formatting your hard drive or before installing an operating system.......

if you plan to have a lot of big files on a hard drive, make the cluster/block chunk bigger, if you plan on having a lot of small files make your cluster size smaller

;-)