Limited or no connectivity

Avalera1222

Hey guys, i'm having a bit of a problem with my modem.  It seems every time i connect my modem directly to my computer it gives me a limited or no connectivity error but when i connect my modem to my router and then to my computer it works fine.  How can i get it to work so it works fine when directly connected to my computer?

I have a linksys modem : BEFCMU10 and Windows XP SP 2  any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are going to need to powercycle the modem..  The ip release by your ISP is based on MAC addresses.  So when you connect to your router the MAC address is assigned with an IP address.  But when you change to a direct connect and dont powercycle the modem is still looking for that MAC address that belongs to the router. 

Hello, thanks very much for the replies.  I tried powercycling but it won't work.  I turn off my computer and modem and turn the modem on.  I wait a few seconds for it to have a connection to the ISP and it connects.  Once i turn my computer on and log onto my username i try to go to a website and the connection to the ISP suddenly cuts out.  I then start all over with the router back on and it works.  Bleh totally flustered here i don't know whats going on.

Hello, thanks very much for the replies.  I tried powercycling but it won't work.  I turn off my computer and modem and turn the modem on.  I wait a few seconds for it to have a connection to the ISP and it connects.  Once i turn my computer on and log onto my username i try to go to a website and the connection to the ISP suddenly cuts out.  I then start all over with the router back on and it works.  Bleh totally flustered here i don't know whats going on.

Is it a PPPoe modem? If so you may need to enter the modems setup and switch it to bridge mode. Then have your router do the PPPoe for you. If it is not then disregard this post.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds to me like it may be a TCP/IP setting on your PC.  The trouble is, if you change it so that it works when you connect directly to the modem, it may no longer work when you connect through the router.

Can you provide some more details:

• What is the operating system on your PC
  • What kind of modem and router do you have?
  • How do you connect to your router (ie. wireless or ethernet)?
  • Which connection shows limited or no connectivity (ie. Local Area Connection or Wireless Connection)?
  • Who is your Internet Service Provider?

I've only had this problem with Time Warner.This PC was on Charter before and it had no problems connecting to the modem or router,it's Time Warner.Like I said above thats only way it will get the IP is when I unplug the coax other wise it shows 164.xxx.xxx or something like that and limited or no connectivity.So if someone is having the same problem try as I said above.

Windows XP Home SP2

Motorola 4100,5120 does the same thing

Linksys WRT54G

Connect by ethernet

it is 169.xxx.xxx.xxx?  I would really try and power cycle the router.. that is a router issue not an internet issue.  You should be able to receive an IP address whether or not you have internet.

It is an internet problem and yes it shows 169.xxx.xxx.xxx even after I power cycle modem(direct to PC).The router is fine it shows 192.168.1.100.The only way the modem will get the IP is by unplugging the modem power AND COAX.Plug modem back in,then I wait for the receive light to stay on then I put the coax back in,works every time other wise it shows the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx if I don't unplug the coax.

Thanks guys for all your help.  :grin2:  But it turns out it was apparently my ethernet card giving out.  I went out and replaced it and now it works fine.  Here are my results of which i am very proud of  :grin:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8184 Kbps about 8.2 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 999 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/21 - 1:21pm

Bottom Line:: 143X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.03 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 12.172 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 46.64 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-6F2COUSA8

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 [!]

not bad if i say so myself  :cheesy: