EVDO-A vs Hughesnet/ WildBlue

simpleman

Looks like the best way to network will be this Linksys that has limited availability at 3rd party resellers but, $249 it is available from Sprint. It will eliminate the need for the pci to pcmcia adaptor $20.

Now I just need to figure out what card I need. PX500 or Merlin s720. Probably the Merlin since all web sites say it is compatible with the Linksys mobile broadband router and several say the PX500 isn't compatible.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1156806496246&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jeffwalker9999

Looks like the best way to network will be this Linksys that has limited availability at 3rd party resellers but, $249 it is available from Sprint. It will eliminate the need for the pci to pcmcia adaptor $20.

Now I just need to figure out what card I need. PX500 or Merlin s720. Probably the Merlin since all web sites say it is compatible with the Linksys mobile broadband router and several say the PX500 isn't compatible.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Promotion_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1156806496246&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

Speaking of Linksys

see http://powervision.sprint.com/mobilebroadband/devices/linksysrouter.html

dn0 and Jeffwalker thanks so much for your input.

Tommie, I know how you feel about satcom and it seems to be the trend.

When it comes down to it, dialup really doesn't bother me except for the online gaming experience is nil. Satcom will not help, so whats the use since I really don't care how fast web pages open(dialup is plenty)

I first looked at  satcom 15 years ago when I first moved to the lake of the ozarks and continuously come to the conclusion that I do not want it.

Now I have these cell phones which are through cingular until oct 07. I have no need for phone line. $45 per month, service $25+ dialup $10 + callwave $8 + tax= 45 per month. So really the service will only cost me $15 more per month minus landline. No one uses it and the only calls are from sales people. This is why the soar subject is back at the surface.

I don't know if you guys have heard of VSAT or not but, they sale and install satcom systems with 40watt radio and higher and a cost of thousands. I have seen them on ebay for $3k and $6k. Hughesnet commercial dish is 2watts and I'm sure wildblue is only 1 watt radios.

Anyway, the VSAT guy told me to go with EVDO, quote, "on line gaming and that satellite internet and on line gaming mix as well as oil and water".

I first considered EVDO when I caught my neighbor who lives in KC, MO comes down for the weekend, sits on her dock with her laptop, surfs faster than me, by a large margin. I asked her last summer what carrier, Sprint.

I know this will be a long thread but, may help others in the future and since you guys have been so helpful, I might as well try to lull you to sleep. lol

For your trouble of reading this thread I will end with the punchline. Digital cable  tap is only 400' away, 250' being the longest digital cable can go. Thats right two houses down has digital cable. I bought this house 2 years ago and cable was a requirement when looking for new homes. When I asked the seller if it had cable the answer of course was yes. It was only when I had been moved in a got the cable guy out here that I found out I can only get analog cable because of the weak signal. So the previous owner had cable it just wasn't digital cable.

Thanks

Simpleman

It looks like the grand total will be:

Merlin s720 wireless card:      99.99

Linksys mobile brband router:  249.99

=  349.99

+ service                                59.99 per month

on line gaming/ highspeed internet= priceless

The cost appears to be the same as satcom w/ 1 watt radio. EVDO will have the advantage since I could use the service away from home with a laptop anywhere service is available, clearly this is a huge difference. Also the networking equipment can also be used with cable/ dsl nor is it required and satcom equip is required. So the intial costs could be cheaper for someone else.

thanks

Simpleman

keep it simple stupid

Of course I'm jumping the gun on the online gaming. I'll believe it when I see it. Typically ping rates should be below 100ms for me to play Battlefield 2142.

Hopefully the higher upload and download rates will work with a ping around 200ms 

which appears to be the going rate with EVDO. Even still this is a far cry for satcom with ping rates at 600ms.

Tommie it looks like Grandpa's cabin is about 30mins away as the crow flies.

Simpleman

keep it simple stupid

I hate the jump the gun on the online gaming thing yet. I'll believe it when I see it. Of course faster surfing will be sweet. I'll keep the board podted when it is installed.

I believe I will need a ping rate below 100ms to play battlefield 2142. Hopefully the higher uploads and downloads will make up the difference. Since EVDO appears to be 140ms which is a far cry from satcom which is 600ms. From what I have read.

Maybe someone can tell me if they can play battlefield 2142 with EVDO. Probably alot to ask

Yeah, I miss going there as a kid. It was great. But it has gotten quite busy since back then, of course. Had many a good vacation there. Thanks.

I hate the jump the gun on the online gaming thing yet. I'll believe it when I see it. Of course faster surfing will be sweet. I'll keep the board podted when it is installed.

I believe I will need a ping rate below 100ms to play battlefield 2142. Hopefully the higher uploads and downloads will make up the difference. Since EVDO appears to be 140ms which is a far cry from satcom which is 600ms. From what I have read.

Maybe someone can tell me if they can play battlefield 2142 with EVDO. Probably alot to ask

You might want to post that in the gaming section. It might get a better response there.

Yeah, I miss going there as a kid. It was great. But it has gotten quite busy since back then, of course. Had many a good vacation there. Thanks.You might want to post that in the gaming section. It might get a better response there.

It wouldn't kill ya to go visit and remember some of the ole days, bring your fishin pole their biting. Take a vacation, quit working so hard, at least crack open a cold one and imagine it.

Jeffwalker...You could probably get those speeds up even higher with an external antenna. You can find one here ----> http://booster-antenna.com/

It would be interesting to see what sort of ping rates one could get with that external amp and roof top antenna from a desktop. Maybe someone has done this or maybe its a new frontier.

It would be interesting to see what sort of ping rates one could get with that external amp and roof top antenna from a desktop. Maybe someone has done this or maybe its a new frontier.

I don't think you will see anything better than the 150ms average posted earlier. Maybe some day whenever they tweak it better. But I do know for a fact that more signal brings better download speeds.

O and I bet you would be surprised at how many games will play with that kind of pings. I am pretty sure that 2142 will play just fine with those pings. Also I bet you could play [glow=green,2,300][shadow=red,left]ANY[/shadow][/glow] Xbox Live game you wanted.

It wouldn't kill ya to go visit and remember some of the ole days, bring your fishin pole their biting. Take a vacation, quit working so hard, at least crack open a cold one and imagine it.

Long story short, grandparents died and left it to his side of the family. So nothing left to visit. Would sure like to get one of my own though. I remember almost hooking up on one cabin before Branson set in. It was $3000 total, and about 1/2 mile from the shore. Nice little place for the money. Boy the things we do not know as a youngin. Lucky to touch a good one for less than $80k now, last I checked the web. $120K if you want one on the shore somewhere, which I figure is worth the extra money. ( always get what you want in realestate, it will always have it's resale value. )  :wink: You will always wish you had if you don't.

And again thanks for the memory jumpstart.   :smiley:

Unless that was an invite for real.  :shock:

Thank you all, from a worn out sat user.  :buck2:

tommie,

You may want to do some research on www.dslreports.com since there was discussion on this back a few months ago. People jumped on Verizon only to find themselves getting shut down because of a cap on the throughput somewhere in the contract. My cousin had it for a week and got her money back. From what I can remember I believe Sprint and Cingular were the ones without the cap. I have been following this somewhat for the past year but I want to network without ICS.  :undecided:

Hope it works for you, here the wireless signal for my phone is always dropping calls....so I can imagine what the internet service might be like.

If you have a low signal there are antenna systems that will work and best if your use an adapter with a external antenna connection. There also is a repeater system that can be used to bring the signal in the house for all wireless on the same cell system. Last I checked it was about $300.

A Heads Up  :shocked:

On Sale at

http://booster-antenna.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=43&products_id=277

is the USB EVDO Modem

$49.99 W/2Yr Contract - limited time @ $$

so check it out

later

I looked at this usb deal and decided no go for home system. I have Merlin s720 pwmcia card coming with the linksys mobile broadband router.

reasons:

home networking and not to worried about mobility but more of a stable conection. If I'd plug that U720 in the usb and don't have the signal strength for a stable network it would be a setback.

Also, extending my system with amps and external power antennas I can plug right into the router to recieve whatever benefits.

I live on this lake so I'm hoping a good signal skip.

Interesting from that website is  it has an EVDO forum. Going check it out and see what gives.

I looked at this usb deal and decided no go for home system. I have Merlin s720 pwmcia card coming with the linksys mobile broadband router.

reasons:

home networking and not to worried about mobility but more of a stable conection. If I'd plug that U720 in the usb and don't have the signal strength for a stable network it would be a setback.

Also, extending my system with amps and external power antennas I can plug right into the router to recieve whatever benefits.

I live on this lake so I'm hoping a good signal skip.

Interesting from that website is  it has an EVDO forum. Going check it out and see what gives.

I wouldn't count on signal skip for a digital signal. I think you need to look at signal gain. CB radios used skip and others but thats different. I believe digital cell works more like wireless networking, clear line of sight is best. Also the range is much less than earlier analog, the reason for so many more towers and closer together.