EVDO-A vs Hughesnet/ WildBlue

simpleman

Sprint is in my area, but no better than EVDO is, I best stay where I am. And I have been totally happy with my cell phone co. thus far.

Luckily it was campared to satelite. For the speeds, price, new equipment, and such. 768/128 is not a lot. For gaming maybe, but not for the rest.

So is EVDO-A suppposed to be any better? And when will that be available?  :grin2:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have $350 worth of EVDO equip sitting next to my computer which is useless. lol

I was reading, in order too open a wireless card it must be done on a computer before sticking it in the router. Since, I don't have the pc to pwmcia adapter to connect to my desk top. So, called tech support at Sprint and the technician said he comes to Lake of the Ozarks all the time and can't get EVDO. At this point he looked up my address and informed me I didn't either. lol Contrary to what sales told me. What they call 3G is what is available and it will be no better than dial up.

Customer service for Sprint had huge hold times, 3 hours. They also told me I could get EVDO and couldn't. That said, I can ship all the equip back at no charge.  I'm thinking about installing it first just to see what kind of signal I can get. They said I could per 30 day moneyback guarantee.Clearly, I'm not paying 59.99 a month for dial up speed and have no intentions on keeping it.

Bright side, Monday morning I did go down to the cable company and talk to the guy referred by the last technician sent to my house. On my hands and knees I told the guy I would throw $500-$600 towards extending the tap 400'  to enable digital cable at my house. He said he would send a guy out to walk it off and write up an estimate and submit it to the company. I will hear yes or no from him by the end of this week.

If no, I will be getting satcom.

Well good luck on that cable simpleman.  :icon_thumright: In your neck of the woods, that will be nice.

Tim you know I have tried everything except getting my staple gun and ladder out and running it myself. And stealing a connection.  :knuppel2: Might be my next step.  :evil6:

And it is .2 miles from the house.  :wink:

Well tommie it looks like the revision A is still being implemented into the network so I'll set and wait a while.  :coffee:

I do like playing sat hobby and soon I'll be in my wood shop and need a music system and maybe some FTA TV. I will network my Hughes into the building, wireless or wired  :icon_scratch:

I got a work buddy who just bought a wireless card and picks up broadband for free. He lives on the other side of the Lake in civilization.

He is probably fortunate to be in one of the areas that have a hot spot.  [not-fair]

Go to www.jiwire.com and it may show up in their locator.  :search:

Guest jeffwalker9999

Probably, he gets it all over town. It makes me curious to how easy it would be to tap another wireless connection that isn't password protected. Whether it be a neighbor or cafe' or just signals flying around.

it is very easy

as the place I currently live at is open and no encription 802.11a/b/g

and over 75% of the wifi spots here in Las Vegas are open and no encription

Of course, not available in my area. :sad3:

Story of my life.

Hmmm... this is an option we are looking into... I checked the map, put in my zip code and it shows that it IS available in my area... I hope the map is right!! I am clueless about this, but if I understand correctly, this can be used with a desktop... we were planning to get a Cingular card for my husband's laptop, keep my t-mobile card for mine and just NIX Hughesnet... but now what I would LOVE to do is get Sprint EVDO cards for both of our laptops, because it seems to be faster than t-mobile Edge(right?) and then a card for the boys' desktop... possible?? Can someone look at the map and make sure I am seeing right? My zip code is 64079, I live in the country between Platte City and Weston, actually right outside of Farley, MO.

Yeah you should be able to get it unitychild, (neighbor, 64068). On Sprint. I was just saying I could not get it because I just reupped my wifes and my  contract with Verizon and they do not service KC MO. So for 2 more years it is out of reach for me.  :wink2: Enjoy.

Howdy neighbor! I see what you are saying now!! Sorry for you! I know how you feel, remember, I am 400 ft too far for DSL! lol So, then is it really possible to get this service on a desktop?

Steph

Howdy neighbor! I see what you are saying now!! Sorry for you! I know how you feel, remember, I am 400 ft too far for DSL! lol So, then is it really possible to get this service on a desktop?

Steph

As far as I can tell. I am 1056' from a remote whatever myself.  :tickedoff:

That is why I chose satelite for now, but it is very expensive. And this EVDO service was not available back 1 1/2 years ago. Or I might have gone that way. Best of luck.  :icon_thumleft: So I suppose you are not far from the river or Leavenworth then?

I am 400 ft too far for DSL! lol So, then is it really possible to get this service on a desktop?

Steph

As far as I can tell. I am 1056' from a remote whatever myself.  :tickedoff:

That is why I chose satelite for now, but it is very expensive. And this EVDO service was not available back 1 1/2 years ago. Or I might have gone that way. Best of luck.  :icon_thumleft: So I suppose you are not far from the river or Leavenworth then?

Well guys, there is a fiber cable, phone line (128), natural gas, county water right by the road my driveway  :rolleyes: goes out to, 150' tops. I can't hook  [not-fair] up to any of it.

But I just happen  :thumbsup: to be between 2 Sprint towers about 2 1/2 miles away either direction and are listed as having the latest. I think I'm done in the beginning of May with my Huey contract and my contract is expired  with Sprint so I'm researching. Another $300+ for EVDO  hmmm....:idea: I wonder how much 14,000 of cable would cost delivered? :icon_pirat:

Well guys, there is a fiber cable, phone line (128), natural gas, county water right by the road my driveway  :rolleyes: goes out to, 150' tops. I can't hook  [not-fair] up to any of it.

But I just happen  :thumbsup: to be between 2 Sprint towers about 2 1/2 miles away either direction and are listed as having the latest. I think I'm done in the beginning of May with my Huey contract and my contract is expired  with Sprint so I'm researching. Another $300+ for EVDO  hmmm....:idea: I wonder how much 14,000 of cable would cost delivered? :icon_pirat:

"I wonder how much 14,000 of cable would cost delivered? :icon_pirat: "

Probably not as much as you think. You might be able to get it wholesale.  :wink:

"I wonder how much 14,000 of cable would cost delivered? :icon_pirat: "

Probably not as much as you think. You might be able to get it wholesale.  :wink:

More research on the EVDO. I called Sprint today and extended 2 years on my 4 line contract with a 5% discount dropping my monthly cost  :o. I was then transferred 3 times until I got a engineer  [nerd] on EVDO. I'm in between 2 towers with a good overlap on the signal  :icon_thumleft:. The Linksys WRT54G3G-ST is $199.99 and a card is $199.99 with a $150 instant savings with anew line and the remainder  is a mail-in rebate so cost for the card is 0 :shock:. $59.99 a month and he said the connection should be similar to a Starbucks, but I've never been there :icon_scratch:. Tommine you need a DW7000 tricked out :?::roll: my 7000 contract runs out soon. :smile2:

Went to the Sprint store tonight! Got a card for each laptop and a usb modem for the boys' computer! My speeds are not perfect yet, but my husband's are better than mine... I wonder why this could be, we have the same exact laptops... could the fact that I am running Norton and he is running AVG have anything to do with the speed difference? We are setting up the boys' now, so hopefully theirs will work just fine and we will cancel Hughes within a month(payment just came out! Same with t-mobile lol). Hubby is HAPPY right now, so that's good! lol

Plus, with rebates, all three cards are free after I mail in the forms ands wait 8 weeks or so!;) Woohoo!!

Steph

Went to the Sprint store tonight! Got a card for each laptop and a usb modem for the boys' computer! My speeds are not perfect yet, but my husband's are better than mine... I wonder why this could be, we have the same exact laptops... could the fact that I am running Norton and he is running AVG have anything to do with the speed difference? We are setting up the boys' now, so hopefully theirs will work just fine and we will cancel Hughes within a month(payment just came out! Same with t-mobile lol). Hubby is HAPPY right now, so that's good! lol

Plus, with rebates, all three cards are free after I mail in the forms ands wait 8 weeks or so!;) Woohoo!!

Steph

Ouch!...Wont you haft to pay $60 a month for each card??? I think I would have went with a router lol.

Steph

Absolutely on the AV. Norton bites for speeds and security. Go AVG too, you will love it. Go for their anti-spyware too.

Norton killed 1 and almost 2 of my computers. AVG saved the second one.  :knuppel2:

Ouch!...Wont you haft to pay $60 a month for each card??? I think I would have went with a router lol.

Yep, but after $80 a month for inconsistent satellite and $50 for t-mobile that because of where my house is is only dial up speeds unless I go somewhere else, I don't mind paying the extra $50 a month for the reliability! Just hope I don't have to swallow my words later!;)

Steph