EVDO-A vs Hughesnet/ WildBlue

simpleman

What makes you think that sharing an EVDO connection would be any slower than sharing a sat connection with 3 users? You can spend $60 a month for 3 users and get better service than what you are getting with sat. Can you run a server on sat.?...or is that against policy :haha: The point I am trying to make here is EVDO is the better option no matter what the case. If you have a good EVDO signal it is always going to be better than sat. Also you spin the whole if I go mobile then the house has no internet. So leave the card in there!!! It is not look you are losing functionality by it. Not unless you take that dish with you(doubt it).

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Download is slower than sat with one user so I'm sure it would slower with 3users when comparing what comes with the $60plan ......so when taking away the mobile capability by getting only one card the only gain is somewhat better pings....as the equipment cost are at or above sat cost as well as the 2yr contract. Unless you park under the tower, average pings are expected to be 200ms or even higher with EDVO.  As for hardcore gamers 150-200ms may very well still complain?

- somewhat better pings(still higher than DSL or cable on average)

- equipment cost high

- extreme high cost to be portable and keep service at the home for family use

- unlimited plan no FAP with Sprint

Gains over sat...slightly better pings, not any faster speeds, no FAP?

So I guess Sirlak that wasn't you who said gaming was "doable" on WB?

Seems so hilarious how when a male mentioned spending the same money on a business plan for service.....attack!

Twice the speed for 4 times the money, it would have to be real important to need that that bad. Definitely not for just surfing.  :evil2: Way too high.  :icon_pale:

and so gramps your saying your really not getting these speeds?

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 1655 Kbps about 1.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 202 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2007/01/07 - 10:48am

Bottom Line:: 29X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.07 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 14.811 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 57.32 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WG57MEISU

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1

and I have you and gorman both say.... "FAP is not an issue for me" :whaa: and gorman say "upload is not important to me".  :whaa:

Guess if the lady said the tweaks were useless as other web sites do say for the self hosted systems.....that would be the end of that game too?

My point is even it were avaible for me I would not jump on a 2yr contract and spend hundreds of dollars with out looking at the big picture. Obviously to me its not better than cable,dsl, or fios

Even with 3 users it would still not be slower than sat. If you don't believe me go to wildblue.cc or evdoforums.com and ask the former sat folks. Also the download on the Sprint $60 is much faster than the download on the Hughesnet $60 plan. The 800k she was getting is actually much slower than the average Sprint customer. Pretty muchly every one I see is 1.2Mbps. Also you don't haft to be under the tower to get pings better than 200ms. Not sure where you pulled those numbers, but they are wrong. All you need is a good signal and it can get DSL latency. A good signal can be acquired with the proper equipment(usually just an external antenna). I am the one that said gaming "was" doable on WB. But it is not anymore. Plus it is "doable", that doesn't mean that it is great. It will NEVER be as good as EVDO.

Download is slower than sat with one user so I'm sure it would slower with 3users when comparing what comes with the $60plan ......so when taking away the mobile capability by getting only one card the only gain is somewhat better pings....as the equipment cost are at or above sat cost as well as the 2yr contract. Unless you park under the tower, average pings are expected tobe 200ms or even higher with EDVO.  As for hardcore gamers 150-200ms may very well still complain?

- somewhat better pings(still higher than DSL or cable on average)

- equipment cost high

- extreme high cost to be portable and keep service at the home for family use

- unlimited plan no FAP with Sprint

Gains over sat...slightly better pings, not any faster speeds, no FAP?

So I guess Sirlak that wasn't you who said gaming was "doable" on WB?

Seems so hilarious how when a male mentioned spending the same money on a business plan for service.....attack!

and so gramps your saying your really not getting these speeds?

and I have you and gorman both say.... "FAP is not an issue for me" :whaa: and gorman say "upload is not important to me".  :whaa:

Guess if the lady said the tweaks were useless as other web sites do say for the self hosted systems.....that would be the end of that game too?

My point is even it were avaible for me I would not jump on a 2yr contract and spend hundreds of dollars with out looking at the big picture. Obviously to me its not better than cable,dsl, or fios

It doesn't matter because you just can't go on-line for free.

Yes ping times are good.

Equipment cost is the WRTG54G3G-ST. I was given a price from Sprint of $199.99, it's a wireless router that will accept a wireless card. The card and router are portable on Sprint network. One brand of card works out to be free.

Hughes for new is, not sure now but was $499.00 but had rebates and 15 month contract. Being Moto-Sat much much more.

Sprint unlimited, yes

Gains, better pings, speeds near same maybe better than Sat with same price plan and no FAP.

Did I say I'm not getting those speeds, where? Your doing the checking and posting. Sat varies every second and I said I'm curious to see what I could do with EVDO. As far as FAP I never have been in my 6 years using Hughes 2-way.

Now we know you won't spend hundreds of dollars but did you put out money for new Sat in the beginning, if so there was a contract wasn't there?

I would be willing to try it when my 7000 commitment runs out for the trial period and if wasn't as good I'd return it. Each location can react differently, revision A  may not be there and signal quality is a variable. Thats why I'm researching, so far I have no complaints about Hughes at all. Any problems were sorted out and resolved and my 2-way system has been great for 6 years.

Gorman....its seems odd to me you cant justify $10/month considered an upgrade from the old 6000 to a newer 7000 or 7000s for better pings/ more consistent performance/double or better uploads speeds....but yet now EDVO is far superior regardless. When WB first come out a 2yr contract was " bad", "not good"...Hughes 15 months "terrible" ......now all of a sudden 2yr contract is not even a concern.  :haha:

fikester ...for some reason you want to act like Bird Fan and argue with everyone just for the sake of being right.  :icon_scratch:  She has made an adult decision with her husband to do this, and for some unknown reason it just does not sit well with you. So she has to take what her family has done and listen to and do what you want. WHY? So it is not what you would have done. SO?

I have also decided not to go into another 15 month (ball and chain) contract with someone who should have a robbers mask on to get what? Better pings, a bit better ( very low by industry standards ) U/L increase to only upload a pic or e-jmail or 2. I do not game, I don't really care that much, you are 100% correct. I do not give a damn.  :tickedoff: And it is not necessary to pay $10 for an upgrade, $50 + contract. The home 700/128 is an upgrade from what I have.

Theres my first post to her about EVDO......guess since I'm looking at the big picture and not posting any different because unity is a female? Had it been me that posted the exact same lingo about getting the Sprint deal, the post would have been attacked and flamed at just as most are.

I am backing her because she is a new member, not because she is female. You can ask water on this, I treat all alike. She never did attack you in any way. But you continue to have her defend her and her husbands decision to do this, because it does not sit well with what you would have done. Why should she post a ping test, just to make you happy? I want her to not be afraid of posting here, just because some members on here have a chip on their shoulder. Now just quit, please.

:angry5:

At least now she can post in a better section away from hughes where there are buttheads. (fikester and bird fan.) Don't make personal attacks and there won't be any. Now are we done flaming yet?  :violent5: I have really had it. Youknow what, you are the only 2 I have ever had issues with since I first got on this forum in a year and a half.  :roll: I have even argued religion with a Muslim and finally shook hands and walked away friends.  I argued with Revolutionaries from Puerto Rico and shook hands and walked away friends.

But not you 2 for some reason. You both remind me of an ex-wife. At least she left with her divorce papers.  :twisted:

Wow! I kind of feel like I shouldn't have ever posted here in the first place! lol This is the last time I'm going to defend my decision... I just posted because this forum was exactly what I was searching for when I decided to go the route I chose. I didn't want to cause any arguments!:( I am happy with what I have, and I don't mind paying for it(I realize that it is a lot of money, but only $50 more than I was paying for sat and t-mobile, and now my husband and I are BOTH mobile and happy). I go to grad school online, I do 3D art and sell through a few 3D stores online, I download programs that I buy online that are fairly HUGE, my husband games online, we won't get FAPd now... this is totally worth the extra $50 a month to us. If we didn't need to be mobile, we definitely would have tried the router, but I do wonder if the speeds would be lower with 3 computers hooked up to one card. We have 3 desktops in the house, but 2 are not hooked up to the internet right now... but the router may be an option in the future, just for the desktops. I will be keeping the laptops mobile. Why have a laptop that you can't take with you(and everything I do is on the internet). lol

Anyway, thanks to those who gave me great information and advice, I really appreciate it!:)

Steph

My apologies unitychild, it appears since Hughes got included in the title that it got a bit messed up. I am glad you and your husband got what you both wanted. I think that is wonderful. This type of goings on it usually not tolerated, please do not go away because of it. You had every right in this EVDO forum to speak what you wanted, after all that is the title on the door. Not hughes net. So please come back if ever you have any more problems. We will try to deal with them in a more gentlemanly manner as we usually do. Thank you for your time.  :smiley:

Take a look back gorman to post #88 ...simply told untiychild glad she like it, but I did not see where it wan any faster than sat according to the speed test logs. Then mr post to post lights the flame torch with post #89

Umm...no 2 second jet lag signal.  :wink: (to the satelite and back.) Why dial-up almost keeps up with us.  :lol:

Seems odd to me your always bragging your 1500k  sat speeds, now all if a sudden are the same as dial-up  :tard:

Always posting about these special tweaks for these self-hosted systems......this is why you don't like me and bird cause we point these contradictions out  :icon_scratch:

No fikester is not a mod or a news anchor, but yes gorman I have been a member longer ......and will not  :nono: bow down to your attacking my posts with remarks covered by hints of joking. No....I don't hardly think you treat all alike (you make special post toward important members/mods on here)....then name call and try to attack post from  some of us. (another example off the top of my head) a post of mine about anti virus programs reviews....mins later bam "look at the date that article was written" bla bla bla. I will not bow down to you or stoop to your childish level of name calling.  :bs:

I think gorman you need now to deflate as your head is getting quite large.... :shrug:

What exactly is not usually tolerated here....its not me name calling, cursing etc..?

Take a look back gorman to post #88 ...simply told untiychild glad she like it, but I did not see where it wan any faster than sat according to the speed test logs. Then mr post to post lights the flame torch with post #89

fikester,

I can't see what you got all upset about with post #88 and 89.

Glad you like it, at least unless something changes you wont need to watch usage.....but I don't see where it is any faster.

Umm...no 2 second jet lag signal.  :wink: (to the satelite and back.) Why dial-up almost keeps up with us.  :lol:

Yes your post #88 was nice but tommie's #89 flamed you, I don't see it. All he mentioned that the ping test for dial-up almost keeps up to satellite. So that brought this,

Seems odd to me your always bragging your 1500k  sat speeds, now all if a sudden are the same as dial-up  :tard:

Gee, you called tommie a "tard". Well for what I could see after #89 you kept up about the price "unitychild" paid for her Sprint. I don't see where it is any concern yours. Granted you did say "you" wouldn't pay it and thats your choice. I'm not angry at you and I don't think anyone else is but you kept harping on what "she' paid, and this

What we are comparing here is 3 connections at around $150/month for the 3 needed connections

I don't believe from reading all the posts anyone was doing that comparing but only you since you mentioned money in 8 posts. To me it looked like a parent scolding their child for what was bought. My self and others I believe are trying to discuss this to get comparisons with EDVO (land wireless) and Hughesnet/Wildblue (sat wireless) and not how many connections one bought. That's it plain and simple and I hope I don't get any retaliation for doing so.

Everyone, thanks for your help from another tired Sat user that owns 7 satellite dishes.

Granpa

Guest jeffwalker9999

Please get back on topic >>>>>>>>>>

:evil6:  edit of a quote >>>>

Can you take your Hughesnet with you wherever you go?

Can you play online games with your Hughesnet?

Can you use VOIP with your Hughesnet?

Can you download all you want with your Hughesnet?

Can you browse secure sites quickly and easily with your Hughesnet?

NO

:roll:    :roll:    :roll: 

Wow! I kind of feel like I shouldn't have ever posted here in the first place! lol This is the last time I'm going to defend my decision... I just posted because this forum was exactly what I was searching for when I decided to go the route I chose. I didn't want to cause any arguments!

:( I am happy with what I have, and I don't mind paying for it(I realize that it is a lot of money, but only $50 more than I was paying for sat and t-mobile, and now my husband and I are BOTH mobile and happy).

I go to grad school online, I do 3D art and sell through a few 3D stores online, I download programs that I buy online that are fairly HUGE, my husband games online, we won't get FAPd now... this is totally worth the extra $50 a month to us.

If we didn't need to be mobile, we definitely would have tried the router, but I do wonder if the speeds would be lower with 3 computers hooked up to one card.

We have 3 desktops in the house, but 2 are not hooked up to the internet right now... but the router may be an option in the future, just for the desktops. I will be keeping the laptops mobile. Why have a laptop that you can't take with you(and everything I do is on the internet). lol

Anyway, thanks to those who gave me great information and advice, I really appreciate it!:)

:tickedoff:  :idiot2: 

arguments!:(  never should of been started ( period )

:wink:  :wink: 

You did the correct thing

You asked about service and equipment and got answers and got what will work for you

:uglystupid2:  :uglystupid2: 

Please don't let a few Jerks or people keep you from using Testmy.Net

:what?:

Members helping others is what it should be all about

not causing or starting problems

:!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

EVDO has to be better than satellite - do to multiple factors

:twogun::ar15fire::icon_salut::icon_thumleft::icon_thumright::afro::sorry:

( my 3 cents ) Jeff

Don't sweat it guys! I'm ok! lol I am about to do a test with EVDO in Weston, MO where I work... I am curious how it looks compared to my home location. Thanks granpa for the personal note! I really appreciate it!!:)

Steph

Now your going to make tommie jealous.  :tickedoff: No Sprint where he's at  :wink:

Seems everybody else can post opinions....until the owner tells me my opinion is not allowed, will be posting mine as well.

I couldn't count on here how many times its been posted by gorman and gramps how fast the sat is....seems funny nows its slow as dial up  :haha:

My point in bringing up the cost is so others know what the price is.....and since the title of this is EDVO vs SATs guess in my opinion would be part of the comparison!

The price concerns me just as much as the no FAP concerns you.......what makes gorman and gramps concern themselves with everything posted? Neither of you have it or use EDVO either.

Seems we have a lot of  know it alls on what I'm allowed to post as well? [glow=red,2,300]WRONG[/glow]

Looks like when gorman concerned hisself with price it was OK?

So how much does that cost $$ each month luisdarisa ?

I am with Grandpa, we just use spell check.  :wink2:

and again

So is that with still paying for the equipment luisdarisa?

If so that would make a little more sense. Those are some real nice speeds there.  :grin2:

and once again

author=tommie gorman link=topic=15687.msg197176#msg197176 date=1168117048]

Twice the speed for 4 times the money, it would have to be real important to need that that bad. Definately not for just surfing.  :evil2: Way too high.  :icon_pale:

and cause its gorman, its funny if fikester does it.........shouldnt be concerned. [glow=red,2,300] WRONG![/glow]

I am about to do a test with EVDO in Weston, MO where I work... I am curious how it looks compared to my home location.

Steph

I will be looking to see what you have found out with your testing in Weston. From the information I've been gathering a good signal means a great deal.

I have a cousin that's in the Reserves. She had to go to Maine for 5 days about 2 years ago so she contacted Verizon and was told it would work for her (EVDO) Laptop at the location in Maine, $250 approx. and luckily 30 day trial. She brought her Laptop over and we set up a dial-up account for back up, she has Hughes. Dial-up is what she had to use. I also set up a wireless network card and no go. She had it 7 days and got here money back.

Seems everybody else can post opinions....until the owner tells me my opinion is not allowed, will be posting mine as well.

I couldn't count on here how many times its been posted by gorman and gramps how fast the sat is....seems funny nows its slow as dial up  :haha:

My point in bringing up the cost is so others know what the price is.....and since the title of this is EDVO vs SATs guess in my opinion would be part of the comparison!

The price concerns me just as much as the no FAP concerns you.......what makes gorman and gramps concern themselves with everything posted? Neither of you have it or use EDVO either.

Seems we have a lot of  know it alls on what I'm allowed to post as well? [glow=red,2,300]WRONG[/glow]

Looks like when gorman concerned hisself with price it was OK?

and again

and once again

and cause its gorman, its funny if fikester does it.........shouldn't be concerned. [glow=red,2,300] WRONG![/glow]

and above shows I do nothing gorman doesn't do ....if the owner doesn't want me on here, remove me.......as I say nothing shows very clearly gorman attacked the price paid of a new member and nothing was even said!

show me where I attacked her.......politely ask for price? and poltely ask for a ping test and remarked did not see in the speed test logs where the speed was faster?

if thats attacking.....will not be posting any more. :idea:

and like I mentioned it were such a concern.....nobody had an issues with it on

So is that with still paying for the equipment luisdarisa?

If so that would make a little more sense. Those are some real nice speeds there.  :grin2:

Twice the speed for 4 times the money, it would have to be real important to need that that bad. Definately not for just surfing.  :evil2: Way too high.  :icon_pale:

So how much does that cost $$ each month luisdarisa ?

I am with Grandpa, we just use spell check.  :wink2:

just to show a few, and nobody said jack about it  :?:

Guest jeffwalker9999

Don't sweat it guys! I'm ok! lol I am about to do a test with EVDO in Weston, MO where I work... I am curious how it looks compared to my home location. Thanks granpa for the personal note! I really appreciate it!!:)

Steph

Please Post

Your Ping And Download & Upload

Here at Testmy.Net

Also >>>>>>>>>>>>

Please Register and Post at *snip*

I look forward to seeing your speeds -

Jeff W - Las Vegas NV  ( SIN CITY )

Back to the topic at hand.....

If EVDO on a home use only level can sustain consistent speeds (esp during peak hours), unlike Hughes (for the last few months), and there remains no FAP, I can't see a reason not to switch to EVDO, if your are using it for 1 computer without the router.

With that being said, there are several users at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat that have switched, and are using the router with 2 or 3 computers, and have stated that performance is equal to Hughes, when your talking about raw download speeds.  Not to mention the much lower latency makes it a feel much faster when browsing.

Now does this mean that I will jump ship. Nope.  Im not an early adopter, not to mention its not available in my area yet.  However, I can see why someone would, and I'm glad they are getting what they pay for.  I don't think that Sprint will invoke a FAP in the near future, as they are starting to shift their focus to this type of service. (Providing WIFI data access accross the country)  They are spending a lot of money deploying WiMax so don't be surprised when you start seeing Hughes customers jumping to that in a few years........

Back to the topic at hand.....

I don't think that Sprint will invoke a FAP in the near future, as they are starting to shift their focus to this type of service. (Providing WIFI data access accross the country)  They are spending a lot of money deploying WiMax so don't be surprised when you start seeing Hughes customers jumping to that in a few years........

Would you have any knowledge about VOIP working in the router situation and the EVDO?

From work in Weston, MO:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 815 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 99 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/12 - 8:58am

Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 10.34 sec

Tested from a 748 kB file and took 7.515 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 1.24 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J2THS3AXW

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9 [!]

Download Connection is:: 929 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 113 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/02/12 - 8:59am

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 9.06 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.391 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 15.4 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-P0MH2RZGC

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.9) Gecko/20061206 Firefox/1.5.0.9 [!]

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:>ping testmy.net

Pinging testmy.net [67.18.179.85] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=46

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=46

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 67.18.179.85:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 108ms, Maximum = 114ms, Average = 111ms

Guest jeffwalker9999

From work in Weston, MO:

Download Connection is:: 815 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 99 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/02/12 - 8:58am

Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 10.34 sec

Tested from a 748 kB file and took 7.515 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 1.24 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-J2THS3AXW

Download Connection is:: 929 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 113 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/02/12 - 8:59am

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 9.06 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.391 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 15.4 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-P0MH2RZGC

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:>ping testmy.net

Pinging testmy.net [67.18.179.85] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=109ms TTL=46

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=46

Ping statistics for 67.18.179.85:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 108ms, Maximum = 114ms, Average = 111ms

Looks Good  ---- Enjoy

Would you have any knowledge about VOIP working in the router situation and the EVDO?

As to the VOIP ??

See This Posting at http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=15536.msg207670;topicseen#new