Slow Charter Speed

twigz

Hi all,

I was just provisioned to the new 10/1 package from charter and I am not seeing very good results. I live in Michigan and there's not very many modems on the Node's around my house. I have ran all the Cleanup processes and scanned everything. The current results I am getting are these:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 6909 Kbps about 6.91 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 843 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 824 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 101 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2007/01/28 - 9:28am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-64JM9RKGA

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QTRG40JWO

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 [!]

Is there any thing I can try to tweak to get better, as I havnt done any of that yet?

Welcome to the forum twigz  :wave::welcome:

Who is your Anti virus?

What is running in your background? Click keys Ctrl+Alt+Delete  What is running under your applications tab?

Are you using a messenger? (msn, yahoo)

Are you behind a router?

Did you scan in safe mode?

Start*Run*type msconfig then click enter key*start up tab* and all that is running on mine is 1 anti spyware and 1 anti virus, and my printer. The rest is on prompt only. I don't let them run slowing me down. Then reboot. Also faster startup and shutdown. If not sure google them.  :grin2:

Who is your Anti virus? Norton

What is running in your background? Click keys Ctrl+Alt+Delete  What is running under your applications tab? Nothing at the Moment

Are you using a messenger? (msn, yahoo) No, None are running

Are you behind a router? Yes, a LinkSys

Did you scan in safe mode? Yes

Start*Run*type msconfig then click enter key*start up tab* and all that is running on mine is 1 anti spyware and 1 anti virus, and my printer. The rest is on prompt only. I don't let them run slowing me down. Then reboot. Also faster startup and shutdown. If not sure google them.  :grin2:

I have a bunch running as I am not sure what I need and Don't need.

Who is your Anti virus? Norton

Norton is a huge resource hog. I use AVG free, it is great. And Norton killed one and almost 2 of my computers. It let stuff by it which shut it down on me.

Are you behind a router? Yes, a LinkSys

Try testing without it in between, hooked directly to the modem.

I have a bunch running as I am not sure what I need and Don't need.

So google them to see if you think they are necessary. As I stated unless you use them everyday, they are not necessary at start up. Like quicktime player, it is the worst for me. It slows things down a bunch. So I only want it to come on whenever I use it only. Otherwise it only sleeps.

These will make a big difference in your speeds.  :angel:

Norton is a huge resource hog. I use AVG free, it is great. And Norton killed one and almost 2 of my computers. It let stuff by it which shut it down on me.

Try testing without it in between, hooked directly to the modem.

So google them to see if you think they are necessary. As I stated unless you use them everyday, they are not necessary at start up. Like quicktime player, it is the worst for me. It slows things down a bunch. So I only want it to come on whenever I use it only. Otherwise it only sleeps.

These will make a big difference in your speeds.  :angel:

Ok, I have gotten rid of Norton and Dl'd and installed the AVG free that you mentioned, ty for that. I have also bypassed the Router and hookit up straight and for some reason the speed test was slower. I also knocked the msconfig startup processes down a bunch, but I do notice that when I open my browser now it lags a little.

• 3 years later...

The last line of your report says you are running Windows NT and Firefox 2.0.0.1. Is that accurate? If so, I wonder if the age of the Operating System and the age of the browser are coming into play here?

I also recall that when I asked Charter to bump me up to a faster internet package, my modem didn't provision the first time. After about a week of seeing no speed increases, I call their helpline. The lady looked at my system online and told me my modem was not provisioned for the higher speed system.

Maybe you will need to contact Charter, too.

LLL