A $600 dollar hole in my pocket.

Mcdougle

Now that I've sent back my 360 to be fixed, I'm was really bored and starting to wonder about computers... Ok, so it's my b-day soon, and I got a $600 dollar budget. What's the best computer on the market for that cheap. I've been looking at a lot of HP's. I want a computer that had Media center, and of course that free upgrade for Vista whenever it comes out. What are ya'lls suggestions...?

I miss my xbox... :icon_pale:

Thanks for your help. So will these pc's have windows media center as along w/ vista?

And what about other pc's? I don't like dell's at all. What do other companies got going? I'm on dial-up so it's insanely hard to be clicking all around the web...searching for a new computer.

You could always go with a barebones. Then add the other stuff later. You can build yourself a super nice setup. Myself or someone else may give a link if you can give a bit more info, Whats the computer gonna be used for, I mean are you a gammer, or Burn tons of music? Or do you just use the computer to surf the net and thats it?

You sure would learn allot. I sure did.

sub $600 dell isnt going to be pretty lacking in the video hardware dept for running any type of media center apps...

HP is a good start... The other place you might want to check would be gateway..  They have a pretty decent model that is priced at $550?  That is without a monitor.. but still

Dude, awesome.That gateway sounds great. Yea, I got a butt load of music. And downloaded TV clips. But I do want to do a little light gaming. No F.E.A.R. or Crysis. You know, nothing it can't handle. Just the casual bit. I'll just use my 360. But I was mainly concerned w/ media center being on Vista. What's the point of having a 360, which uses Media center to connect to PC's, but have all Vista, and no Media center. I trust HP. But I can't go higher on price. As for the gateway, it's practically the same as the HP, but has media center. Some friends of mine have the new HP slimline, 200gb hardrive media center pc. It's really nice, I just wanted a little bigger harddrive. B/C My current 250 gb is pushing it. So the 320gb would be a great addition. I don't care about the video input interface, or the extra hardrive bay. The upgrade of my current computer now, has that. I just want a big hd, w/ media center, and the new OS. All for around $600. Is it that hard.... :cry:

Anyways, I'll take a look at the Gateway, and compare to the HP.

Thank's for all the help...

The gateway is looking great. If i need more storage, I'll just buy a 80-100 gb portable drive. Then I won't have to worry about people constantly wantig me to burn cd's for them. I'll just take the drive to their house, and they can get it, and burn their own. Awesome. Go gateway, thanks! :grin:

So it's the caddy, over the oldsmobile's....sweet. Yea, my friend who is really into computers, told me that that's really a good deal. (2nd opinion) Of course the HP has a bigger hd. But I really need to pick up a portable drive anyways. It's just annoying having to burn countless cd's. And double copying them onto my ipod is just too complicated. It's a waste of space. (Off subject*) I tried to use my ipod at school w/ realplayer, but I copied all the songs to the pc's hd. And now, when I deleted them, I accidently deleted most of them off my ipod. So...I now have to wait until I get back home to re-update it. But it was my fault. I can take care of that later. (back on subject*) But as for the computer it seems to be the exact same as the HP. Except for the bigger hard-drive. the 320 is nice, but I can get by w/ a 250, and just buy an add-on drive. Everything else seems identical. I now will have VISTA and MEDIA CENTER....face.  :azn: