windows Vistsa Question

mudmanc4

I have been wondering, I am aware that you will need a 64 bit machine , I have been speaking w/ My people  haha, some say that you will not be able to use most of your existing software, Please dubunk this .And further more , how many versions , and what will they consist of?

Whats the definate release date?

For whatever its worth. I would really wait for awhile (a year?) before messing with vista. Give it time to get the bugs worked out. From all the information I have see and such I may someday put it on my slave drive but will keep xp as my primary os for awhile.

I just think this new release is gonna be horrid. I can forsure see lots of "how to uninstall vista and reinstall xp" questions.

Windows Vista will consist of 5 versions: Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, and Vista Ultimate. There is also a Vista Starter edition, but that will not be available in the US. Vista will be available in 64-bit for all versions except Home Basic which will only be available as 32-bit. You will of coarse need a 64-bit processor to run a 64-bit version of Vista. The release date will be at midnight on Jan. 30. If you pre-ordered it from the Microsoft website, they will ship it overnight to you tommorrow, Jan. 29. I have been using Vista RC2 (Release Candidate 2) for a while now and I have had little to no problems with it. As far as programs go, basically all of your programs will work with Vista. There are 2 Program Files folders on Vista 64-bit, one for 32-bit programs and one for any new 64-bit programs. I haven't had any problems with programs so far. Vista is fast, looks great and if you install it properly will run great. Remember, you will get the best performance out of Vista if you do a clean install. Hope this info helps. Sorry for the long post.

Windows Vista will consist of 5 versions: Vista Home Basic, Vista Home Premium, Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, and Vista Ultimate. There is also a Vista Starter edition, but that will not be available in the US. Vista will be available in 64-bit for all versions except Home Basic which will only be available as 32-bit. You will of coarse need a 64-bit processor to run a 64-bit version of Vista. The release date will be at midnight on Jan. 30. If you pre-ordered it from the Microsoft website, they will ship it overnight to you tommorrow, Jan. 29. I have been using Vista RC2 (Release Candidate 2) for a while now and I have had little to no problems with it. As far as programs go, basically all of your programs will work with Vista. There are 2 Program Files folders on Vista 64-bit, one for 32-bit programs and one for any new 64-bit programs. I haven't had any problems with programs so far. Vista is fast, looks great and if you install it properly will run great. Remember, you will get the best performance out of Vista if you do a clean install. Hope this info helps. Sorry for the long post.

No, the longer the post , the more info. Thanks, I was'nt aware , there was 32bit and 64 bit , folders, wow, could you imagine how much code had to be written for that?  :shock:  I worked w/ the  first beta, man , cool looking and all w/ the black-glass, but the bugs were tremendous, but then again , thats what the beta testing is for.

I will wait, I am waiting fir the AMD quad , and at least a service pack 1 , for vista. Then , it's on for me  [nerdly]

rjventre covered most of the vital details here.  You can use Vista on a 1ghz+ system with at least 512MB of RAM, and you aren't required to have a 64 bit processor, as there is both a 64 bit version and a 32 bit version to choose from.  Due to compatibility issues, I wouldn't expect too much software to come out that is going to require the 64 bit version be installed; however, several years down the line, we might start to see more of that in the works.  The only exception here is that Microsoft has already stated that you will absolutely need the 64 bit version to view DRM protected High Definition video formats, though I can't give you any real technical reasons for this other than that I suspect it is in cooperation with the MPAA's wishes.  I hope that helps.

well... wait a year... yes.. 2H of 07 is scheduled to be the first service pack of vista..

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+already+planning+Vista+service+pack/2100-1016_3-6152704.html

As far as running programs... The only thing that I have been reading is that gaming really sucks on vista.  However, to fully qualify this most of the reports were coming from pre-RTM versions of Vista..  Only time will tell if everything is going to operate 100% with a new OS..

well... wait a year... yes.. 2H of 07 is scheduled to be the first service pack of vista..

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+already+planning+Vista+service+pack/2100-1016_3-6152704.html

As far as running programs... The only thing that I have been reading is that gaming really sucks on vista.  However, to fully qualify this most of the reports were coming from pre-RTM versions of Vista..  Only time will tell if everything is going to operate 100% with a new OS..

newer games shouldn't have a problem, and most older games, i tested ut2004 and it ran great on build 6000

newer games shouldn't have a problem, and most older games, i tested ut2004 and it ran great on build 6000

So , are you saying, if one had a 32 bit game, and a 64 bit OS , it would not run ? Obviously, I am now, just investigating Vista ,  :lol: 

BTW great info everyone , thanks  :thumbsup:

So , are you saying, if one had a 32 bit game, and a 64 bit OS , it would not run ? Obviously, I am now, just investigating Vista ,  :lol: 

BTW great info everyone , thanks  :thumbsup:

I run all my 32bit games on x64 XP, with no problems.  If the games run on 32bit Vista, they should run in the 32bit emulator of the 64bit version.  It will tell you, like most of my games do, that the game has only been tested on 32bit systems, but should still run.

I run all my 32bit games on x64 XP, with no problems.  If the games run on 32bit Vista, they should run in the 32bit emulator of the 64bit version.  It will tell you, like most of my games do, that the game has only been tested on 32bit systems, but should still run.

Thanks .

So are you saying it is a plus as you can also run 32 on a 64 if you so wish? There by also compatible with any 64 games that come along. Pretty nice info there. Thanks voltageman. Just soaking up the info.  :smiley6600:

I,love this site good fun, good folks and awesome knowledge base  :thumbsup:

So are you saying it is a plus as you can also run 32 on a 64 if you so wish? There by also compatible with any 64 games that come along. Pretty nice info there. Thanks voltageman. Just soaking up the info. :smiley6600:

Most 32bit programs run perfect on x64.  The only exceptions are antivirus, firewall, registry cleaners, and disk defrag/management programs.  Most other programs run fine in the emulator.