Mediacom Speed tests & Your location

Deltamusic

• 2 months later...

Well things are improving... and should even get better when they finish the new head-end down the road.Only fair to give tha guys a Big.. :thumbsup:...on their help!  Been a long time coming. I would have never been able to prove my case to Mediacom had it not been for the database and host stats that no longer work for Mchsi on testmy-net! At least I made a copy before it messed up.

Here are my latest speeds..  

5276.png

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

its not the modem its my cable signal.  when the cable guy came thru a while back he tested the signal on the line and it was like -4 or somethin like that.  they were able to get it up to like +5 for signal strength but its still really weak.  i deal with it.  its better then dial up.

After speaking to a tech friend at my mchsi head-end I was informed that the company specs for power level is from -7 dBmV to +7 dBmV.

He said he got best results anywhere from "0 to -5 dBmV" . A +5 and above may slow your speeds down. He had a couple of suggestions.

1. Run a diag on your modem while you are online and note your status... Depending on your modem it should show you info similar to what I have below.

2. If your signal is above +1dBmV try putting a 2way splitter just before the cable modem and check your speeds again.

Forward Path:

Signal Acquired at 111.000 MHz

SNR: 35.9 dB

Recieved Signal Strength -4.5 dBmV

Bit Error Rate  0.001%

Modulation  64 QAM

Return Path:

Connection

Freq  31.5 MHz

Power Level 48.8 dBmV

Channel ID  5

Modulation  QPSK

I had a speed issue for quite some time and it turned out the node was overloaded and a lot of noise on the line.

You may want to go to www.dslreports.com and check out the line quality test. There should be users from your area in the Mediacom forum found there.

Good Luck

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

well i have had a lot more luck with mediacom recently it seems that after the floods knocked out their internet center they have upgraded and its way faster now than it was a year ago  now im getting almost 7.5 mb download but my uploads are still slow maxing out at around 475 kbps.   

share2-2Q1S9OBXL&dual=yes&q2=F9HU0MAZ1

There's nothing wrong with those speeds, luckey you for the floods, ( well, floods arent good, but.....)  What were you getting before the upgrade ?

i was getting around 300-400 Kbps download speeds at the very most and my upload speeds were about the same as they are now which was usually faster than my download. and keep in mind the advertised speeds are 8 mb/s the mediacom people had no explanation for it except that the cables single levels were low in my building and we needed to re wire the entire building. i live in an apartment building so doing that would be very difficult.

i was getting around 300-400 Kbps download speeds at the very most and my upload speeds were about the same as they are now which was usually faster than my download. and keep in mind the advertised speeds are 8 mb/s  the mediacom people had no explanation for it except that the cables single levels were low in my building and we needed to re wire the entire building.  i live in an apartment building so doing that would be very difficult.

Man, thats awesome, what a difference in your internet experience ! Nice!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...