Quick question about hard drive formatting and windows

Marcin541

I could very well go on google and research this, but today ive been trying to fix my computer for so long im tired already...  :evil6:

Ok, I have problems today because I uninstalled linux by deleting partitions and it made GRUB (a linux boot screen) cause an error, so i went ahead and installed windows again (on a different partition), which then didnt detect 10 gb of my hard drive (which I previously set to Linux filesystem)... I went and reinstalled windows once AGAIN on the partition which the 10 gb was not detected and formatted it using NTFS filesystem. Now, I have 2 versions of windows on 2 partitions, but I want to format one of them using NTFS, however it tells me Windows cannot format. Am I able to use format on a partition which has windows installed, even though its not the version of windows im using atm? Or is it just another error?

I could very well go on google and research this, but today ive been trying to fix my computer for so long im tired already...  :evil6:

Ok, I have problems today because I uninstalled linux by deleting partitions and it made GRUB (a linux boot screen) cause an error, so i went ahead and installed windows again (on a different partition), which then didnt detect 10 gb of my hard drive (which I previously set to Linux filesystem)... I went and reinstalled windows once AGAIN on the partition which the 10 gb was not detected and formatted it using NTFS filesystem. Now, I have 2 versions of windows on 2 partitions, but I want to format one of them using NTFS, however it tells me Windows cannot format. Am I able to use format on a partition which has windows installed, even though its not the version of windows im using atm? Or is it just another error?

From my experience, GRUB will allow for booting Linux, or windows, by choice  of bootloader. If you do not want linux on the HDD any more, you need to reformat , unless you are savvy w/ partitions.

If you want Linux and XP, fist delete the partitions that you secondly attempted to install XP on. Boot your Linux disk, do a repair (may or may not work), getting Linux up and running again at any rate. (W/ Grub).

At that point you should be able to install XP and format an NT file system.

If all else fails, clear the HDD by deleting  "  *  " partitions , and start over w/ linux using GRUB (not LILO).

Correct me if I am wrong. But Linux uses a swap set up ,(partition) on setup , and another partition I forget what it is.