Question about Real VNC and Geeksquad setup

GIXXERGUY6

a while back i had problems getting a wireless desktop setup so wife called squad out and they set it up, but now i can't get vnc to work on it........what do i do.

i go over there and get the ip and try to connect...it's 1923168.1.102.....but nothing....and I also try the 192.168.1.20 i think is listed.

why isn't it connecting? both pc have the same pw and name entered.

it's just a pain in the ass lol

are you trying to connect over the net or just your local network? If you are just doing it over the network then you should have no problems, however if you are trying to do it over the internet then you need to get the public IP address of your home computers internet connection www.ipchicken.com as well as open the specific ports on your router/firewall if you have one. I use UltraVNC to remote into my home computer from my laptop and i know i had to open ports on my router to make it work hope this helps

If you are on the same network as dumb as it sounds you need the server running on his computer, setup with a password or else it will not work, 2 get the private IP address for his computer, if you have to set a static address for it of 192.168.1.254 so as not to interfere with other devices on your network. Then go back to your computer and open your VNC Viewer and type in his IP if it connects bravo if not there is something wrong in the setup. also have you tried to remote desktop? or do you have XP Home

GIXXERGUY6 this seems to be driving you mad

so many opinions so many small posts

okay

answer this question

1- are you on the same network 192.168.1.XXX (meaning the last 3 numbers are different for you and this other pc) ?

2- what is your internal ip and what is the ip address of the machine u trying to connect to ?

3- have you got the server up and running and set up a password (VNC password not windows) ?

4- double check the port u trying to connect from ur machine is the same one set up on the server.

please answer this question for us

thank you

trying to help you out