Why go XP pro

Le_Murphant

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would be right on that one Roco. I could not find a translater for that one. It did not even make it ona english to american translator. None of it.  :evil6:

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~aaron/amlish.html

Either one sounds fine.  :smile2: It will be a treat to eat real home cooked English food.

Tommie, I was kidding on the food , we can do better than that ,  Bro. you are always welcome,  I will e-mail you later , lol I am being swamped with Uk e-mails (help ect )  :lol: it's Saturday night again  :evil2:,

anyone want a translation to my post#24?  :lol: it's standard London Taxi cab English ,  :lol:

Back on topic , anyone thinking of buying Xp. home or pro .I guess it will drop in price within 6 months , and will be supported till 2115,  me, I am staying with Xp pro.

guess it will see me out  :lol:

:grin2: :grin2:

I read on Windows Secrets that MS has committed to support

XP for seven more years, so I will keep my XP and MS can

keep their eye candy.  Good stuff on Windows Secrets.  I don't

do MS updates until WS says its OK.

Also an interesting article on how to get a full fresh install of

vista from an upgrade CD.  Appears to be condoned by MS.

I do all my backup's on a USB external HD that is never on

unless I am using it.

thanks again paladin, for the tip on USB external H/Drives for backups , just rushed out and brought me one , as I have a shed full of 10Gb laptop H/D's

:lol: I am a belt and braces guy , is  braces , suspenders USA ?

in the UK thats what holds up stockings (female )

aaaaH  memories , drat these new fangled tights   :evil6:

I guess I'll chime in with my two cents.  I've hated XP since the day it was released.  It's a resource hog compared to 2000.  When I do a fresh install with 2k, after deleting the files the installation left behind (driver cache and dllcache), I have 12 processes, 43,000K memory usage, and 320mb of disk used.  XP can't even dream to get that close.  I know you can go in and fine-tune everything and get it...well, kind of close, but you lose almost all functionality that is standard.  2000 doesn't need fine-tuning and tweaking because it was built lean and mean to begin with.  XP is just too bloated, methinks.

The only reason I have/use XP is because my Creative Zen Vision:M requires WMP10/11, which is only offered in post-SP1, so I put that on a spare laptop harddrive and made a Symantec Ghost image of it.

I run 2000 Pro and Server, as well as SLES/SLED10 here.  I must say, I love a nice, pure 2000 network.  Since I do a lot with networking, I've noticed that XP doesn't do networking very well.  It claims it does, but 2000, when you browse a workgroup, the listing shows up almost instantly.  XP, you wait 45-60 seconds only to have it tell you "unable to locate..blah blah blah."

I've even tried turning the Computer Browser service off (that's the one that keeps an updated list of computers/shares on the network) and that doesn't make any difference.  where it does help a little bit is when you're in Office and click the drop-down list for where to save the document, Computer Browser turned off makes it faster for the list to drop down.  With it on, it searches the entire network, just so you can choose C:.

2k/Linux is the best choice I've ever made.

You will live to bother your kids and grand kids longer than that.  :evil6:

Nah, I just hope I go  living the  Rock and Roll lifestyle  :lol: , ( fast )

the grandkids are taken care of  :wink2:,

lol what a morbid thought  :lol: but I have done what is right ,

just hope I go in bed , with me boots on , + with

a beautifull blonde, just as I click post  to TMN , F**k the reply  :2funny:

saw a geat sticker in a motor home , "spending the kids inheritance"   :2funny:

:lol: see what another Birthday has done to me Bro , another year away from catching up with Tda***z  :smitten lool time I gewt there I will be on a zimmer frame :

:2funny: :2funny:,

I guess I'll chime in with my two cents.  I've hated XP since the day it was released.  It's a resource hog compared to 2000. 

LOL I could not agree more  I ran 2000 briefly on a puter (laptop) , that I had  to load  Xp on  . lol did Xp slow it down , I have 5 licence keys for 2000, but no disk , still I keep looking at car boots and jumble sales + ebay

can any one help, with a pointer,

I have keys to 3.1 , 95 , 98, Me, Xp home & pro, but I would like 2000 to make my collection  complete, is it downloadable ?

Roco: Thanks for posting the WS deal.  All Tommie had to

do was google it and the first page is nearly all WS.  It also

has a paid version for a donation, a lot more stuff.  I love

that external HD.  Can't mess it up if it ain't turned on. 

Another thing I like is WinPatrol, google it and ck. it out.

My Dad wore a belt and suspenders Roco, you brought back

memories.  :haha: :haha: :haha:

Sorry for picking on you Tommie.

I got my first copy of 2000 Pro from my father's work.  He called up I.T. and told them that he needed to reload his laptop, and they were really busy, so they just gave him a flip folder of all the CDs they had and all the keys were written on them, so naturally, I copied the entire flip folder. :D

Then at my job I got at college (I'm a student first, and employee second), I was digging through my office and the storage closet in the A+ lab and found original copies of 2000 Pro and Server, and they were the base releases--no Service Packs.  Downloaded the network distributable SP4 thing, and slipstreamed it into the Pro/Server disks and now I have legit ISOs for both, with SP4.

Installed Pro and then went to Windows Update and wrote down the list of KB#'s for the updates, then went to the download catalogue and got the offline-installers for everything.  Turns out about 95% of those will slipstream into the CD as well.  So now I have "SP5" copies.  Fun times.

As far as helping you find legitimate CDs...eBay - Search results (windows 2000 professional) might be a good place to start. ;)

LOL I could not agree more  I ran 2000 briefly on a puter (laptop) , that I had  to load  Xp on  . lol did Xp slow it down , I have 5 licence keys for 2000, but no disk , still I keep looking at car boots and jumble sales + ebay

can any one help, with a pointer,

I have keys to 3.1 , 95 , 98, Me, Xp home & pro, but I would like 2000 to make my collection  complete, is it downloadable ?

I hope I'm understanding you right, your English is a little different than what I'm used to (I use spell checker a lot) :roll: .

I seem to like 2000 better than XP Pro that I both use and I think your right about the speed. Both I bought on eBay at a real good price, full installs. Not sure about the downloadable part.

Roco: Thanks for posting the WS deal.  All Tommie had to

do was google it and the first page is nearly all WS.  It also

has a paid version for a donation, a lot more stuff.  I love

that external HD.  Can't mess it up if it ain't turned on. 

Another thing I like is WinPatrol, google it and ck. it out.

My Dad wore a belt and suspenders Roco, you brought back

memories.   :haha: :haha: :haha:

Sorry for picking on you Tommie.

Tommie deserves it IMHO  :lol: to busy Spamming to search  :lol:

are suspenders( USA ) the thing that held up socks ?  :lol: my dad wore those

or these , aaaah , sorry I tried goggling  women in suspenders ,  :lol: yeah I should have known better ,  :roll:, ,

so I will try and describe them, a female garment that holds up stockings ,

each individual stocking ( not all in one tights/ stockings ) and clips to a lacy belt , ( oh lol  I am getting excited as the memory rolls back  :lol:)

maybe I will P.m. Tdawnaz or Water for a full description ,  :2funny:

just for the sake of USA/UK Harmony  ,

:lol: lets move on , my usb H/d is working well, and sure makes me feel more secure, thanks for that Paladin  :thumbsup::buck2:

You have to take off safe search Roco. it is in the unmentionable section. Also the unpostable section.  :2funny:

This was as close as I dare post.  :shock:

Tommie it looks like part of that tent blew away or something, or is that the skirt?  :undecided:

Do you store that in your closet??

Tommie it looks like part of that tent blew away or something, or is that the skirt?  :undecided:

:lol: grandpa, man your memory must be going  :lol:, I still have hazy recollections of those ,  :shock::2funny:,

You have to take off safe search Roco. it is in the unmentionable section. Also the unpostable section.   :2funny:

This was as close as I dare post.  :shock:

:lol: Tommie, my Doc . recommends I keep safe search on at my time of life, also it could be a waste buying unripe bananas   :evil6:

I hope I'm understanding you right, your English is a little different than what I'm used to (I use spell checker a lot) :roll: .

I seem to like 2000 better than XP Pro that I both use and I think your right about the speed. Both I bought on eBay at a real good price, full installs. Not sure about the downloadable part.

:grin2: grandpa , my English is hard on my UK brothers also , :smile2:

lol, TMN spell checker is USA English , I have to live with that  :evil2:,

so when has humour been spelt humor , or colour been spelt color  :lol:

us Brits export a perfectly good language and it gets wrecked just moving it across the pond , :2funny: only joking Bro ,

what I saw of 2K looked good to me, yeah, pleanty for sale cheap in the USA , not so in the UK unfortunatly, 

Regards Roco  UK

Tommie deserves it IMHO  :lol: to busy Spamming to search  :lol:

are suspenders( USA ) the thing that held up socks ?  :lol: my dad wore those

or these , aaaah , sorry I tried goggling  women in suspenders ,  :lol: yeah I should have known better ,  :roll:, ,

so I will try and describe them, a female garment that holds up stockings ,

each individual stocking ( not all in one tights/ stockings ) and clips to a lacy belt , ( oh lol  I am getting excited as the memory rolls back  :lol:)

maybe I will P.m. Tdawnaz or Water for a full description ,  :2funny:

just for the sake of USA/UK Harmony  ,

:lol: lets move on , my usb H/d is working well, and sure makes me feel more secure, thanks for that Paladin  :thumbsup::buck2:

The suspenders that my Dad wore were for holding up his pants, they

hooked in one spot in middle of back on pants and split below shoulders,

one over each shoulder then to top of pants on each front side.  He also

wore a belt.  He also wore what he called garters to hold his socks up.

It was a contraption that went around your leg above the calf and had

a strap that hooked to the top of your sock. 

My Mother wore garters to hold her hosery up on each leg.  It was a

lacy stretchy band that she put at the top of hosery and rolled down

a few turns.

All of these garters looked like they would cut off your circulation.

You're welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:grin2: grandpa , my English is hard on my UK brothers also , :smile2:

lol, TMN spell checker is USA English , I have to live with that  :evil2:,

so when has humour been spelt humor , or colour been spelt color  :lol:

us Brits export a perfectly good language and it gets wrecked just moving it across the pond , :2funny: only joking Bro ,

what I saw of 2K looked good to me, yeah, pleanty for sale cheap in the USA , not so in the UK unfortunatly, 

Regards Roco  UK

Now I see  :oops: why the little pictures along with the words, the expressions help to clarify and give the correct accent  :wink: , gotcha.

As for the 2K I had mine shipped to me, that got there in little canoe to cross creeks. For a big pond we use big canoe. And there is always the pigeon but won't work at meal time  :roll: none left.  :tongue8: