Kernel32.dll problems and won't connect

golferguy

Good morning all! Hope you had a good week!

You know Windows, if it is not one thing, it is another............

My laptop was running perfectly yesterday, and then my firewall autom.updated in the background just like it always has and does............suddenly

I got error that firewall had to shut down. 

It wouldn't connect.................all within a minute, it was taken away from me LOL....

I had just been there (the net) a minute ago!

Uninstalled/reinstalled firewall, no diff.    Tried a diff firewall.  No diff.

I went to Event Viewer to see what was the culprit. It said kernel32.dll

I tried to re-register (regsvr32) and got that the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.

All the restore points I made this last week were gone. 

Tried Safe Mode, nothing.

My Network Connections say I have my usual speed and connection and all look fine, but won't connect to anything.

I checked my hosts file, all looks fine for connecting to my usual Yahoo search engine.

Tried sfc/scannow and it went thru without a burp perfectly, still nothing diff.

Tried several combinations of above............still (sigh) nothing.

Keep getting same error no matter which firewall and won't connect.

So much to a fine start of a new wk! I had all these aspirations of having a new and fresh week to cleanup old work krap from last week.....

:)

YIKES

You should be able to run the disk, and it will give you the option to  "search for existing OS"

By doing this, you should not  have any data loss. Windows simply re-installs the windows files. I have done this before  w/ no problems.

Other than that unless you are registry savvy..................

You should always have a backup disk of your files  :wink:

This may help you http://www.5starsupport.com/info/kernel32.htm

let us know, how things turn out for you , but it seems there is a problem w/ a progrm you installed recently, that is trying to access the protected area of memory that the kern.dll in located !?

I would say whatever the latest update that was installed by your system installed  /chuck it otherwise  :smiley:

thanks all for the suggestions.

I had shaky knees and shaky bladder just thinking about doing a repair install LOL

I just HATE doing something I have never done before, because there are ALWAYS things they don't tell you :)  Life is always like that.

So!

I had just been mentally ravaged trying to figure this out.  I decided to clean out the registry after making sure the previous uninstall had taken for the problem firewall prog.  Found two lil files just sitting there smiling at me.  So I ripped them out of the puter LOL

Then I rebooted.  Everything is just fine now.