SCSI to SATA

Mr. Hahn

Do you guys know if there's such thing as an adapter that converts a SCSI drive into SATA? All of the 15k drives seem to be SCSI, and my mobo doesn't seem to support it. I noticed quite a few adapters that do the exact opposite in my google-ing, but none that do this.

no, he wants the opposite. he wants to use a fast scsi drive on his mobo. unless you have scsi onboard, which most boards (apparently including yours) don't you will have to invest in the proper scsi controller for the drive(s) you are planning to use. the bad news is that they can be pricey, the good news is that the higher the price the more options they have for raid and on-the-controller cache.

Why would you want to use SCSI instead of SATA?  Are you hooked on the 15k drive speed? 

The speeds of SATA II are comparable to the Ultra-320..  I would stick with SATA if you can because the cost per gig is cheaper and the hardware to implement a hardware raid solution, if that is what you are trying to do, is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper!

Why would you want to use SCSI instead of SATA?  Are you hooked on the 15k drive speed?

Pretty much. I like the read and write seek times of the 15k drives compared to any others.

...you will have to invest in the proper scsi controller for the drive(s) you are planning to use...

Could you post a URL of where I might find that? Here's the hard drive I'm wanting to buy.

Also, would I be losing any performance from it being converted from SCSI to SATA through the controller?

Adaptec is pretty much the standard for controller cards..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816103013

You need a 68pin wide connection of the NP series.. Here are they product type for Fujitsu:

SCA-2 80Pin (NC Series), 68Pin Wide (NP Series), SCA-2 40Pin (FC Series)

One other tid bit.. you might want to hit up ebay.. I saw this drive for under $150.

Also, would I be losing any performance from it being converted from SCSI to SATA through the controller?

no. in fact, there would be no scsi to sata conversion taking place. you would be installing a scsi controller in your system in addition to the sata one already onboard.

now, as an additional option, think about getting a nice sata controller that carries some cache of its own (in addition to the cache that the drives provide) and compare prices between that with four or five nice sata drives and the scsi controller and the hds you were looking at. if you run 4 or 5 sata drives as a raid five you should get a nice increase in performaceas well as data security you will not get with the scsi drives.