Windows Vista question

resopalrabotnick

when the betas were floating around plenty of people had tons of stuff to say about vista.

has anyone noticed that concurrently whith its release pretty much all discussion about it turned so quiet you can hear a pin drop? is this just the quiet before the storm? does noone care anymore? have we all forgotten our aluminum foil deflector beanies and been brainwashed? is the presidential race taking all our attention?

:?:

Its always like that.......right now all of the major forums out there probably have 1 main thread about vista...first impressions and such, and a crap load of support threads for drivers and such...

One thing, that really bothers me is that everyone was talking about the aero desktop that vista is supposed to have.....vista is out !? ....i want to see some screenshots !

Its always like that.......right now all of the major forums out there probably have 1 main thread about vista...first impressions and such, and a crap load of support threads for drivers and such...

One thing, that really bothers me is that everyone was talking about the aero desktop that vista is supposed to have.....vista is out !? ....i want to see some screenshots !

Yes that would truly be awesome to see.  :shocked:

is the presidential race taking all our attention?

And that would be avoiding the race til later, much later. I don't want to get bored with it just yet.  :evil: I like to pace myself.  :cool:

I have Vista Ultimate and I'm pretty happy with it so far. One thing that is noticeable is that a lot of manufacturers still have yet to put out some drivers for Vista, ie. Creative! But, for the most part everything on my PC is up and running.

Things that I like:

Windows Photo Gallery - here you can create a slideshow of your pictures, make a quick fix, email, burn to disc or make a movie. You can then use that movie as you desktop background, which will loop constantly (if you like that sort of thing  :undecided:  ) via the Windows DreamScene.

Windows Movie Maker - Altough this was in XP, it is vastly improved in Vista with more features. I especially like the fact that you can burn your movies and slideshows to a DVD and create your own Menu's with the built in templates. Also, useful is that you can burn it in NTSC or PAL, and in 16:9 format.

Things I don't like:

Well the only thing that bothers me right now is the UAC - User Account Control. Basically, this means that if you try to run some apps or change a setting, a pop-up will show asking your permission to continue. This stops unauthorized changes being made and you are then giving it Admin rights to continue. Somtimes, these can be annoying if you are doing alot of tweaking, but it in theory should stop malware, trojans and viruses from wreaking havoc. It can be disabled, but you should probably leave it be.

I will take some screen shots and post as soon as I can.  [nerdly]. Any requests ?

I was actually hoping to see the one where you have multiple windows open like cards in your hand frayed out in a fan. I thought that looked so cool.

You mean like this? http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/ ?? In time I am sure a free ware aplication will be floating around. Not much you can do with vista that a few 3rd party software aplications and xp can do. I really think vista is gonna bomb. Most will hang on and use xp as long as possible. Just my 2 cents.

You mean like this? http://www.otakusoftware.com/topdesk/ ?? In time I am sure a free ware aplication will be floating around. Not much you can do with vista that a few 3rd party software aplications and xp can do. I really think vista is gonna bomb. Most will hang on and use xp as long as possible. Just my 2 cents.

I know I'm not in any hurry to change!

vista will gain market share by virtue of dell et al shipping it in new boxes.

That is what is going to drive this product..  The reason that I think it is quiet right now is that unless you just bought a brand new computer or have $300 to drop on vista what is the point in upgrading...  I think there will be more talk as manufactures fix the driver issues and the market becomes more saturated with vista computer.. But that is going to take some time.  I am going to at least buy it in May..  Whether or not I run it is an entirely different story.  I also think people are sitting back on XP for right now to see if Vista is truly an more secure. 

Lol well I am going to jump on the Vista train mainly because I just like trying out new stuff. I ran the Betas and the RCs and really like it other than it needed a little polishing here and there(nothing major). Anyway my copy is shipping today so I guess I will see how it goes. I never ran RC2 so I will see how much the polished from RC1.

One of my IT buddies is running Vista on his HP dv6000z.. It has the turion x2 with a gig of ram.  He is running Vista Home Premium on it and on boot it takes about 470mb of ram.. But I must admit that aero looks amazing..

I guess that is where 2 gigs of ram expandable to 4 comes in handy.  :wink:

Nice screenshot php, thanks. And nice background.  :grin2:

i haven't seen it myself but i have heard that in spite of the half gig of ram it munches at startup the boot and shutdown times are very quick. true? false?

Yes, it does boot faster than XP, because Vista doesn't use Boot.ini, Ntldr and Ntdetect.com.

Here is a screen shot of Aero using the Windows Key + Tab key.

One of my IT buddies is running Vista on his HP dv6000z.. It has the turion x2 with a gig of ram.  He is running Vista Home Premium on it and on boot it takes about 470mb of ram..  But I must admit that aero looks amazing..

i'm running vista ultimate here at work with 2gb of ram and on boot with nothing installed it uses over 550mb. But it manages ram like linux and OSX now so i dont know if its really using that much because it has a cache now.