Disk Defrag

hid

hey all

i'm very unsure on this disk defrag thingy and want to know should i carry out a defragment - and what will this do (In simply noobie explanation please).

Also how often should i carry this out.

Thanks

p.s. is there anyother system analysis and cleaning i should carry out that helps to keep computer in order, smooth and clean.

:angel::smile2:

This is user preference and everyone has their own solution. I use sat internet and it seems best I keep up daily on the Spyware-Maleware and when I defrag (at least once a week) I run the scans, get rid of internet clutter and use a Reg checker, then I defrag. It seems to put a little snappiness into my PC when I'm done. Hope this helps.

Basically what disk defragment does is a cleaning of a book shelf.. You bookshelf, or hard drive, stores tons of books or files.  After long periods of user interaction such as installing, uninstalling and manipulation the files are no longer in the best order.  So what a defragment does it try and re-establish the best order of your bookshelf to improve system performance.  By doing this there is less stress on the hard drive  because the file are in a logical order.

not only is there a little less stress but you may see an actual increase in speed.

when you delete a file from the drive, that space is marked as free. the next file that is written will start at the first available free spot. if it is too big for this spot it will overflow to the next one and so on. this can cause large files to be split into a number of fragments spread all over the drive. defragmenting, as the name says, reorganizes the files on the drive so that all these fragments are reassembled into one coherent piece.

from

ADCBDCBACADBCBAD

to

AAAACCCCBBBBDDDD