Laptop HD does a clicky noise and it wont load anything - broken ?

just-

Hi guys

i have a friend of mine who has a HD from her laptop

basically she was working on it got a BSOD and the pc would not boot any more

i tried to do a windows recovery and got as far as the windows loading screen and then it would just restart

it was not over heading or anything like that

so i inserted a new HD in her laptop installed every thing and works like a baby now

so i have the old HD with me and i got a cable to connect from 2.5" to USB

it just wont recognize the hd at all, if i plug in a good hard disk takes 2 seconds and it works

so i left the hd connect to my pc and eventually after listening to click click click on the hard disk

it showed up in Computer Management > Disk Management

but the all pc goes to a halt when its trying to read that other faulty HD

is there anyway at home you guys think i can do to this HD

considering that i can't even get any pc to recognize it or i need to send it to data recovery professionals ?

i think its either a sector that has gone corrupt and the HD wont read pass it

or the arm reader it self had gone faulty

you could also nail it to a piece of wood in a field and use it as target practice =)

That would work but remember gun safety. There was a clip but that was about destroying your old drives important information. Maybe the fireplace, possibly wood work for extra heat. :wink:

I read somewhere that putting the HD in the freezer might get you one  try at getting the data off the drive. Never try it myself, but it might be worth a try.

I remember that also. Here are a couple links about freezing your HD:

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006110111270170

There is a lot more information on Google about it.

well, if there is data on it that you really need you can either send it to the pros for a lot of money or buy the same drive (exactly the same drive) and take both apart and swap the media. that is what the pros usually do. mind you you will need a clean (ultra clean) environment to do this in and some technical skill. but with some luck you might be able to pull the data off. you can probably google quite a bit about how to proceed to pul this feat off.

I remember that also. Here are a couple links about freezing your HD:

http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-hard-drive-to-recover-data.html

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2006110111270170

There is a lot more information on Google about it.

Are you sure there wasn't one put out by "Freezer Queen"  :lol:

well, if there is data on it that you really need you can either send it to the pros for a lot of money or buy the same drive (exactly the same drive) and take both apart and swap the media. that is what the pros usually do. mind you you will need a clean (ultra clean) environment to do this in and some technical skill. but with some luck you might be able to pull the data off. you can probably google quite a bit about how to proceed to pul this feat off.

this would be an amazing project

so i put my old 40G on her laptop

and her broken 40G is not lying around the house

btw guys thank you for confirming what i already knew

ITS DEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAD

I read somewhere that putting the HD in the freezer might get you one  try at getting the data off the drive. Never try it myself, but it might be worth a try.

Tried it.. rarely works..

That would be a fun project..  We have a nano building on campus with a clean room.. Now how to get access to that room  :cool2:

Tried it.. rarely works..

That would be a fun project..  We have a nano building on campus with a clean room.. Now how to get access to that room  :cool2:

my university is not as cool or as good as your swimmer

we dont have a clean room to my knowledge

only do that if you really know what you are doing. Getting the drive it self open isnt a problem on most, getting the platters out with out scratching them is a bitch. epically on laptop drives with more then 1 platter.