5.1 Surround Headset Choice (Need Opinions)

organ_shifter

5.1 Surround Headset Choice  

6 members have voted

1. 1. 5.1 Surround Headset Choice

• MANHATTAN Personal Cinema 5.1 by IC
    • X-52 Surround Sound Headphones by Turtle Beach
    • LTB Magnum True 5.1 USB/3.5mm Surround Headphones w/Mic
    • Zalman ZM-RS6F+M

I'm in the market for a great pair of 5.1 surround sound headsets. I've narrowed the field down to a couple of choices.

First is the MANHATTAN Personal Cinema 5.1 by IC.

I136-1120-b.JPG

This headset is of particular interest because of its USB connectivity, Digital DTS 5.1 Surround Sound, and Dolby Digital AC-3 decoding. With 8 individual speakers (4 per ear), it supposedly delivers the best experience in 5.1 gaming & movies. It's also the second version of this setup as the prior offering didn't have an amplified sound device. However, this set is older than the next candidate. See links below for additional information/reviews.

Product page

Review

Where I'm planning to buy

Second choice is the X-52 Surround Sound Headphones by Turtle Beach (built specifically for PC). It is not to be confused with the Ear Force X1/X2's for the consoles & PC.

T777-1064-b.JPG

This headset is a new release. The specs claim True 5.1 surround sound from 8 speakers as well. It lacks an included amplifier, which costs extra. It also doesn't have USB connectivity, which means that I will need to either unplug my current setup or purchase four 3.5mm Stereo Y Splitter Cables. I'm prepared to do so for great sound quality. The upside to not using USB is the fact that you don't have to switch between sound devices or unplug anything whenever you want to listen to your original speakers. See links below for additional information. I couldn't find any reviews.

Product page

Where I'm planning to buy

Other considerations:

The LTB Magnum True 5.1 USB/3.5mm Surround Headphones w/Mic also seems to be a great choice.

S200-1022-b.JPG

Product page

Review

Decent price at Tiger Direct: here

There is also the Zalman ZM-RS6F+M (Reviews all over the net).

Z20-1038-b.JPG

Product page

Decent price at Tiger Direct: here

The above headsets are within a comfortable price range. I don't think I'm prepared to spend any higher (than $69.99), unless they're really worth it. :)