HughesNet Satellite Question!

rjventre

On February 27, I have an installer coming to my house to put in a .98m dish and to re-point me to a new satellite. He recommended going to either AMC9 or SatMex6. So, my question is, Is anyone on either of these satellites? I am wondering how the speeds are during peak hours on these birds. Also if anyone knows of any other good birds, please let me know. Your responses will be much appreciated. Thanks!

The evil greedy kid in me, tells me to lie to you and say that speeds are terrible on AMC9 1290, but the nice guy in me says that speeds havn't been going below 700Kbps during peak hours.....

:laughing7:  :iamwithstupid: I was thinking AMC was good one, but afraid to let the secret out. Never heard any good about SatMex.

Thanks for the help guys. I promise not to use to much bandwidth since you were kind enough to tell me about AMC.

You forgot to add one of these along with your promise  :evil:  :haha:  :twisted:

If your getting a .98 dish I think you shouldn't have hardly any problems at all with your connection. If the installer is decent (the key is the larger the dish the tighter the signal and harder to zero in) he should more than likely get you in the mid to high 80's for your signal and the touchy part is getting the ACP as high as the signal or more if possible. Good luck.  :smiley:

Thanks for the reply granpa, but I still have a couple of questions. First of all, what is ACP? Secondly, where is that located in the registration installer setup process?

The ACP is found in the advanced section http://192.168.0.1/fs/advanced/advanced.html . It can be found in the transmitter or installation sections. You would use this only to see how your system is functioning, unless you understand what to do with it for tweaking the system, so using the "ACP Mode" could cause your system to become disabled. The system seems to self test itself at intervals and thats what I keep track of. If you can find this (ACP) post it along with your signal and possibly a speed test near that time. Ever time you shut your modem down you will lose the ACP number until it self tests again.

Here is everything you asked for granpa.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 493 Kbps about 0.49 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 60 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 279 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 34 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/24 - 12:31pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QDR27UNLO

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QGLFZ3MVO

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506) [!]

ACP Server Version : Non-regional ACP

Installer ID sent to Server :

Remote's Longitude and Latitude : 92.0W / 30.8N

---------------ACP Statistics--------------

Last Validate Isolation..... 0          Last Revalidate Isolation... 0

Pointing Queue Full......... No          Pointing Queue Depth........ 0

Valdiate Queue Full......... No          Validate Queue Depth........ 0

Revalidate Queue Full....... No          Revalidate Queue Depth...... 0

User XPOL Pointing Requests. 0          User XPOL Validate Requests. 0

Self XPOL Validates......... 0          Self XPOL Revalidates....... 0

NOC XPOL Validates.......... 0          NOC XPOL Revalidates........ 0

XPOL Validate Pass.......... 0          XPOL Validate Fail.......... 0

XPOL Revalidate Pass........ 0          XPOL Revalidate Fail........ 0

XPOL Backoff................ 0          Time (s) Since Pass XPOL.... 203657

Minimum Revalidate Interval. 259200      Maximum Revalidate Interval. 157680000

Short Random Backoff........ 1500        Long Random Backoff......... 864000

Queue Indications........... 0          Queue Indication Discards... 0

Testing Allocations......... 0          Testing Allocation Discards. 0

Measurement Results......... 0          Measurement Result Discards. 0

Directed ACAPs.............. 0          Total ACP Requests.......... 0

Subsystem State............. 0          Test State.................. 0

XPOL Revalidate Timeout..... 0       

Signal strength is 59.

Here is everything you asked for granpa.

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 493 Kbps about 0.49 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

ACP Server Version : Non-regional ACP

Installer ID sent to Server :

Remote's Longitude and Latitude : 92.0W / 30.8N

---------------ACP Statistics--------------

Last Validate Isolation..... 0          Last Revalidate Isolation... 0

XPOL Backoff................ 0          Time (s) Since Pass XPOL.... 203657

Minimum Revalidate Interval. 259200      Maximum Revalidate Interval. 157680000

Signal strength is 59.

493 Kbps

Testing with satellite you need to the the 2992kB size test. There is a latency in the beginning so the smaller tests will usually be a lower speed. The Hughes test is always slower than TMN.

Last Revalidate Isolation...  0

This is 0 because you have rebooted the modem. I never shut mine down unless I'm to be from home a couple of days or more and updates may be missed. It may take a day or two, possibly more to get a number here. Remember rebooting resets this to 0.

Signal strength is 59

This is a little low unless your experiencing bad weather. Mine at this moment is 76. Only in very heavy rain or heavy snow will it drop in the 50's. Just from this I would say your dish needs tweaking if the sky is clear. Its a good idea to keep tabs on your signal every day and more so if weather is bad when your trying to diagnose a problem.

Here is an updated speed test granpa:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 583 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 71 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/24 - 6:52pm

Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 14.42 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 42.033 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 55.52 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DKYU48PZW

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506) [!]

As far as my signal strength, I am not worried because Tuesday I will get a new dish and have a repoit to another satellite done. I think I have actually set a record with hughes. They are paying for the Small Office plan indefinitely and they are paying for a .98m dish and to have someone come out and install it. I think they just got tired of me calling them so they finally just gave in. Anyway, thanks for the help granpa.