Cable speeds, stock vs tweaked

RiverWar

Hey, new here but not new to 'puters and such. have been messing around with various tweaks to improve cable speeds. first my cable specs.

Comcast cable 3000/256

Surfboard SB4200

Intel Pro 100/VE network connection

I tested my system with stock cable settings, then tested with CableNut, TCP Optimizer, and DRTCP. I have ran all of the tests; ping(they are good)latency(good)ran Tweak Test, used their recommendations. Have used the CableNut CCS files and used the 3000/256 and each one lower and higher than this settings file. Have visited three of the top forums and read all of the latest postings, tried other's settings, recommendations, including manual registry changes.

Seems that the one common denominator I read is that almost any one of these program tweaks, or manually changing the registry brings about a significant improvement in download speed, and only minimal upload speed.

This is not the case with my cable. at stock settings my test on this site is 237 for download, 29 for upload and time at 35.31, which is identical to the best score I can get out of one of these tweak programs, or manually tweaking.

I'm not complaining about my speeds, though I have seen others with Comcast getting higher speeds. And I realize that there are other factors that play in to this. But I was just curious as to why so many others see increases in speeds with tweaking, and I see none?

Any ideas?

thanxz

River~

Hey, new here but not new to 'puters and such. have been messing around with various tweaks to improve cable speeds. first my cable specs.

Comcast cable 3000/256

Surfboard SB4200

I tested my system with stock cable settings, then tested with CableNut, TCP Optimizer, and DRTCP. I have ran all of the tests; ping(they are good)latency(good)ran Tweak Test, used their recommendations. Have used the CableNut CCS files and used the 3000/256 and each one lower and higher than this settings file. Have visited three of the top forums and read all of the latest postings, tried other's settings, recommendations, including manual registry changes.

Seems that the one common denominator I read is that almost any one of these program tweaks, or manually changing the registry brings about a significant improvement in download speed, and only minimal upload speed.

This is not the case with my cable. at stock settings my test on this site is 237 for download, 29 for upload and time at 35.31, which is identical to the best score I can get out of one of these tweak programs, or manually tweaking.

I'm not complaining about my speeds, though I have seen others with Comcast getting higher speeds. And I realize that there are other factors that play in to this. But I was just curious as to why so many others see increases in speeds with tweaking, and I see none?

Any ideas?

thanxz

River~

Comcast cable 3000/256

Surfboard SB4200

Any ideas?

thanxz

River~

Comcast cable 3000/256

Surfboard SB4200

Any ideas?

thanxz

River~

Comcast is so hard to tweak!! They are currently have a really tight cap all of their customers. I have comcast and have found that by adjusting the Rwin value I can hit higher speed but not all of the time. The connection becomes unreliable.. :cry: If i just leave it alone i can get some where in the ball park of 4260mbs which isnt bad! Upload is a different story all together. You can not get any higher then the 250kbs that comast offers. No tweek nothing. My guess is that the next upgrade once the new system becomes stable the upload will go to 300 something.

Welcome to the Forums!

Swimmer

Comcast is so hard to tweak!! They are currently have a really tight cap all of their customers. I have comcast and have found that by adjusting the Rwin value I can hit higher speed but not all of the time. The connection becomes unreliable.. :cry: If i just leave it alone i can get some where in the ball park of 4260mbs which isnt bad! Upload is a different story all together. You can not get any higher then the 250kbs that comast offers. No tweek nothing. My guess is that the next upgrade once the new system becomes stable the upload will go to 300 something.

Welcome to the Forums!

Swimmer

Welcome to the Forums!

Swimmer

Welcome to the Forums!

Swimmer

Swimmer,

appreciate the response, and hearing from you about your comcast/cable/tweak/score results, I understand better now. some of the tweaks I could get a little higher scores on download but like you said, not stable. also noticed that some sacrifice in upload happened, and that if left stock the tests were more reliable, scores within a few points of each other consistently.

thanxz again

River~

Swimmer,

appreciate the response, and hearing from you about your comcast/cable/tweak/score results, I understand better now. some of the tweaks I could get a little higher scores on download but like you said, not stable. also noticed that some sacrifice in upload happened, and that if left stock the tests were more reliable, scores within a few points of each other consistently.

thanxz again

River~

Swimmer,

thanxz again

River~

Swimmer,

thanxz again

River~

I just finished deleting all cable tweak programs, defraged the drive, and did some other clean up, and after I was done I decided to try one more manual tweak of the registry.

I added DWord TCPWindowSize 62240 and TCP1323Opts at 0 and gained a few more points on the download connection and speed of downloads without reducing the upload.

latest score is:

download

connection 3079kbps

download speed 379KB/s

ran the download test 12 times in a row, first without dumping temps, cookies, etc., then another 12 times after dumping and rebooting. every single test score was the same within 2 points.

upload same as prior scores

connection 238kbps

upload speed 29KB/s

am sticking with this...............till the next tweak goes higher :)

River~

• 1 month later...

I've found that the only "adjustment" that's made any difference to my speeds, almost regardless of what I do, is by adjusting the RWIN.

Nothing else I've done makes much of a difference

With Cox cable in S.Cal.,I get the following;

::: Download Stats :::

Connection is: 4456 Kbps about 4.5 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is: 544 KB/sec

Auth Code: 2066841 (validate at http://www.testmy.net)

Bottom Line: 80 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 1.88 second(s)

Validation Link :: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/auth_check.cgi?ta=&top=&align=&num=2066841&kbps=4456&gen=gen&a=17.7142857142857&b=1.14285714285714&c=1145.14285714286

I guess I can't complain