I have a simple WRT54G version 5 question

Criss86

I purchased this product bout a week ago and I already setup a secured network, I want to upgrade its firmware. Its current firmware is v1.00.9. I have downloaded linksys latest firmware v1.02.0 and the I wento to my router settings and went to firmware upgrade. I read about how to do it, then I clicked more info. It says that when I upgrade my firmware , I might lose my current settings, It says to right them down. The whole point is, will I lose all my setting including my secured network? will I have to start all over again , like if I just bout the router?

I also want to know what is the best firmware for my router? I use utorrent and limewire alot. I already know about, that your router can hang when using and p2p software cause it stores connection information which p2p programs do alot. My modem connects to my router and my pc connects to my router directly, then I have a laptop that connects to mu secured network. they both use utorrent and limewire simultaneauslly. So I want to know whats the best firmware that I should use since I use utorrent and limewire alot. Thanks alot in advance

I also want to know what is the best firmware for my router? I use utorrent and limewire alot. I already know about, that your router can hang when using and p2p software cause it stores connection information which p2p programs do alot. My modem connects to my router and my pc connects to my router directly, then I have a laptop that connects to mu secured network. they both use utorrent and limewire simultaneauslly. So I want to know whats the best firmware that I should use since I use utorrent and limewire alot. Thanks alot in advance

I would recommend DD-WRT as Tim said..  However, the installation on to a version 5 router is pretty advanced.  I was able to find this guide.. http://www.scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/  But I have never tired to flash a v5 router..

I would recommend DD-WRT as Tim said..  However, the installation on to a version 5 router is pretty advanced.  I was able to find this guide.. http://www.scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/  But I have never tired to flash a v5 router..

the link i posted has always worked fine for me =) but if you want to keep the setting but upgrade at the same time, just go to 192.168.1.1 and write down your settings.. then upgrade to dd-wrt for better responce times etc... its very simple.. just follow the directions =)