How to conrtol laptop fan speed

porsche6714

Hello

I recently found an old compaq Armada in my basement that actually worked perfectly fine.  I loaded XP on there and everything seemed to e working fine but it does seem to be geting pretty hot and the fan never goes on.  I know the fan works because it spins on startup.  I was wondering if there is a program that i could use to manually control the fan speed.  I allready tried speedfan but it wont let me change fan speed.  It dosent even show up in the list of fans.  Any other software out there for this purpose.  I searched google allready but couldnt come up with anything good.

Thanks a l ot

To my knowledge, if the fan is not variable speed or controlled by hardware, your not going to get what you want. The fan doesn't show up , most likely no controller for this. Those baby's ran hot anyhow, I always keep canned air around to keep all heat sinks free from dust and debris.

I have an old dell Lattitude XPi    running win 3.1(look that one up haha), and she runs hot as hell. I also have an old Acer Extensa 711TE that will roast out as well.

I'd recommend trying to see if the BIOS config will allow it to be on all the time... or set parameters for it to turn on when the temp rises. If it doesn't have the config option for fan control/speed, look online for a new bios version.

Worst case senario, you can always buy a laptop bezel for the bottom (having fans already installed in it) to attach to it.

Hello

I recently found an old compaq Armada in my basement that actually worked perfectly fine.  I loaded XP on there and everything seemed to e working fine but it does seem to be geting pretty hot and the fan never goes on.  I know the fan works because it spins on startup

I haven't had a laptop apart yet but I have seen fans in PC's spin on start up and then after booting I have noticed they have stopped. The solution for me was change the fan so in those cases the fan must have been bad, therefore "new fan".

Guest jeffwalker9999

My 2 Cents - Again

I think that one of the switches --- should work

see this url http://www.almico.com/sfarticle.php?id=3

How to use SpeedFan's command line parameters?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SpeedFan defines several command line switches:

/NOPCISCAN

/NOSMBSCAN

/NOSUPERIO

/SLOWDETECT

/TIGERMP

/NOTIMER

/NOSMARTSCAN

/NOSCSISCAN

/NOACPISCAN

/NOTOSHIBA

/NOASUSSCAN

/NONVIDIAI2C

/NOAMDK8SCAN

/SMBDEBUG

and others on the url / page shown above

I'd just go with a new fan

To my knowledge, if the fan is not variable speed or controlled by hardware, your not going to get what you want. The fan doesn't show up , most likely no controller for this. Those baby's ran hot anyhow, I always keep canned air around to keep all heat sinks free from dust and debris.

I have an old dell Lattitude XPi    running win 3.1(look that one up haha), and she runs hot as hell. I also have an old Acer Extensa 711TE that will roast out as well.

haha best windows ever though it was out to early for my generation to enjoy  :mad2: