How To Tweak Smart BRO WiFi

elijahpaul

hi guys.. i haven't been around for a couple of months. the reason is, i'm focusing on my studies as a 4th year college student.

anyway, thanks to those who appreciate my tutorials and gave me a PM.

to those who were trying to make me sell the override plug and ship it to you, i'm very sorry but I don't have the time for it and the plug is very hard to find.  :wink:

i will be checkin' back on this forum once in a while but i wouldn't be able to reply to your PMs. [nerd]

just so you know, i'm switching to PLDT myDSL (I've moved out of my parents' house). my reason is, it's cheaper and much faster, plus i get a landline. another reason is, the smartbro account hack is spreading like wildfire. that's why networks are getting clogged pretty much faster in SMART.

with that, i want to give everybody a good luck and happy tweakin while you're still stuck at the Bro!  :buck2:

peace y'all! :grin:

@coolbuster

keep up the good work bro! hands down to you!  :cool:

oh yes! i will man i will.

good that you had switched to PLDT MyDSL. 3 weeks from now and i'm gonna do the big switch too.

smartbro service is getting worse. the network is clogged everyday from 9:00 am up to 12:00 midnight. subscribers only get good signal at dawn and early morning. that sucks big time!

i'm just waiting for the modem. eventually, just like you, i will bid goodbye to smartbro.

i got a lock jaw while looking at "falls09" canopy page.. a 7mb aggregate. wow..  i wish i have an aggregate same as those.

to falls09:

you need to make sure you get high RSSI in order to take advantage of your aggregate. coz even if you will have 20 or 30 mb as an aggregate, if your Received Signal Strength is low then there is no use..

but 7MB is rare!  better put it on auction..

When your in the canopy page already, go to the Configuration page and copy the attributes on the picture below.

canopy.jpg

save and reboot.  :wink:

by the way, this only works for the Motorola Canopy(see pic below). I have never tested this on SendFar antenna.

canopy-1.jpg

HELLO SIR I TRIED IT ALREADY CHANGING THE VALUE!! BUT WHEN ITS TIME TO SAVE AND REBBOT IT RETURNS TO THE DEFAULT SETTINGS TO 500.... WHY?

HELLO SIR I TRIED IT ALREADY CHANGING THE VALUE!! BUT WHEN ITS TIME TO SAVE AND REBBOT IT RETURNS TO THE DEFAULT SETTINGS TO 500.... WHY?

that is because you have a 1000 kbps (1mbps) aggregate. the total sustained data rates on both upload (UL) & download (DL) should be less than or equal to 1000 kbps. for ex: UL 500 + DL 500 = 1000, UL 400 + DL 500 = 900 or UL 200 DL 800 = 1000.

i hope its clear now.  :wink:

Any of you being visited by Smart lately to change your Canopy SM's?

my friend was visited last year. he lives on a big compound with 2 smart bro connections. i told him to tweak his canopy but then after a week, he told me he was visited by Smart and was asked not to tinker with the canopy settings again.

quite shocking. he even blamed me for it. haha!  :evil:

my friend was visited last year. he lives on a big compound with 2 smart bro connections. i told him to tweak his canopy but then after a week, he told me he was visited by Smart and was asked not to tinker with the canopy settings again.

quite shocking. he even blamed me for it. haha!  :evil:

Smart's contractors came over to 're-home' my Canopy. As Smart was decommissioning the base station that I was assigned to at the end of the month. Of course I was at hand to 'supervise' them. The contractor seems nice, and they too have issues with Smart's helpdesk/techsupport. As the new base station (color code) wasn't playing nice with my legacy Canopy antenna... So the Smart tech support insisted on changing my Canopy antenna (newer version with the 1MB SDR) . Which I eventually gave into as I needed net access and I needed to go somewhere... Seems also bandwidth caps are now implemented on the base station end. And for those who have 1MB+++ rates are a result of improperly configured base stations (and older Canopy antennas with no caps). ;)

Oh well... 384Kbps is better than no Internet at all... ;)

i agree. but i suggest you switch to a dsl after your contract.  :wink:

IMO, Smart can't really handle all the buzz they've been getting from their service. the base station being misconfigured, canopy being hacked (or tweaked, for that matter), and people who ended their smartbro's subscription and sold it to others so they can hack into a base station, get IPs and get a free internet subscription with smart.

all's going too well.  :laugh:

I've been with Smart Bro since 2006. =) According to my transaction history... Since April 2006. ;)

Never had the time to go through all that paperwork to subscribe to another provider... Besides, I'm not always home... and I usually just do emails or the occasional Skype and VoIP calls. And I'm taking advantage of the unlimited access to Airborne Access hotspots for an additional fee. Yeah, Smart has been having major screw-up's the 2 years I have been with them... but nothing yet to piss me off so much that it'll make me switch. The DNS glitch is just a minor issue (for me)... a stop-gap solution would be not to use their DNS at all. ;)

The contractor mentioned that (selling of Canopy SM's) as well... he said that it's just a matter of 'cloning' the MAC address of an active Smart BRO account's PC (quite easy with routers with a push of a button). No hardware hacking involved as I initially thought... just a loophole on Smart's end. Well... that's what he said anyway...

Also to add... they seem to be migrating to a new system. Maybe starting from scratch for new users? I noticed that on the new base station (color code) the Smart BRO portal login page is different. You'll log-on with your Service Reference Number, and Account Number. With the old 'portal', it's just a simple username and password prompt.

exactly.. that's the new system they have.. basically before you will need a username and password, but in this case the service reference number and the account number as your  password. in this method, it won't identify the MAC address of the LAN card you are using, but instead it's going to identify the MAC ADDRESS of your Subscriber Module/Antenna..  in this way, you don't need to call them for reset in an event that you get locked out by using a different PC with a different LAN Card. a good move.. BUT....  i got two canopies. one i use here in the city and the other one i use it in our province around 80KM away from this place.. when i tried to set it up last Friday i was asked for my Service Reference and my Account Number... it did went in but i says "FAILED ACCOUNT REACTIVATION" since my SM was not registered on to that particular AP.. so what i did is call them and have them reset my connection.. they called me after 4 hours and i was able to surf.. without any problem....

i was worried that if i'll go back to the city i will have to do it again, BUT IM SURPRISED since when i turned on my PC i was able to surf the net without having to input the username/password or the Service reference and account number and i was able to browse.. still a glitch..

I've been with Smart Bro since 2006. =) According to my transaction history... Since April 2006. ;)

Never had the time to go through all that paperwork to subscribe to another provider... Besides, I'm not always home... and I usually just do emails or the occasional Skype and VoIP calls. And I'm taking advantage of the unlimited access to Airborne Access hotspots for an additional fee. Yeah, Smart has been having major screw-up's the 2 years I have been with them... but nothing yet to piss me off so much that it'll make me switch. The DNS glitch is just a minor issue (for me)... a stop-gap solution would be not to use their DNS at all. ;)

The contractor mentioned that (selling of Canopy SM's) as well... he said that it's just a matter of 'cloning' the MAC address of an active Smart BRO account's PC (quite easy with routers with a push of a button). No hardware hacking involved as I initially thought... just a loophole on Smart's end. Well... that's what he said anyway...

Also to add... they seem to be migrating to a new system. Maybe starting from scratch for new users? I noticed that on the new base station (color code) the Smart BRO portal login page is different. You'll log-on with your Service Reference Number, and Account Number. With the old 'portal', it's just a simple username and password prompt.

at least you've been getting the service you need from smartbro.  :smiley:

exactly.. that's the new system they have.. basically before you will need a username and password, but in this case the service reference number and the account number as your  password. in this method, it won't identify the MAC address of the LAN card you are using, but instead it's going to identify the MAC ADDRESS of your Subscriber Module/Antenna..  in this way, you don't need to call them for reset in an event that you get locked out by using a different PC with a different LAN Card. a good move.. BUT....  i got two canopies. one i use here in the city and the other one i use it in our province around 80KM away from this place.. when i tried to set it up last Friday i was asked for my Service Reference and my Account Number... it did went in but i says "FAILED ACCOUNT REACTIVATION" since my SM was not registered on to that particular AP.. so what i did is call them and have them reset my connection.. they called me after 4 hours and i was able to surf.. without any problem....

i was worried that if i'll go back to the city i will have to do it again, BUT IM SURPRISED since when i turned on my PC i was able to surf the net without having to input the username/password or the Service reference and account number and i was able to browse.. still a glitch..

hey, that's like getting two lines for one subscription!  :evil: i wonder if you can put two canopies in your house (using one account) and bridge the connection so it will be faster.. hmmmm..   :cool:

in this method, it won't identify the MAC address of the LAN card you are using, but instead it's going to identify the MAC ADDRESS of your Subscriber Module/Antenna..  in this way, you don't need to call them for reset in an event that you get locked out by using a different PC with a different LAN Card. a good move..

And probably also to weed out those guys that buy SM's and provide 'cheap' Internet?

hey, that's like getting two lines for one subscription! :evil: i wonder if you can put two canopies in your house (using one account) and bridge the connection so it will be faster.. hmmmm.. :cool:

yeah, something like that.. i don't know if i can use it simultaneously though. i still have to try it, coz in my family i'm the only person who uses internet a lot. my parents/siblings doesn't even mind having or not having an internet connection, though they surf sometimes.. so i cant ask them to try it out for me.. about combining two canopies; it's actually possible.. you can use one for just download and the other one for upload.. you just have to zero the fields in the canopy page and at the same time modify the MAC address of your canopy.

it's useful if you are on TORRENTS where you actually have multiple sources, unlike normal downloads where you are only locked in to one SERVER/HOST... i don't know much about the details but i did stumbled on one topic where they were discussing about this one.

And probably also to weed out those guys that buy SM's and provide 'cheap' Internet?

yes, its measure to minimize those problems.. coz it's not common for a person to have several canopy's unless they've been making up names.. ahaha :police:

Better than no Internet at all... :D

a hopeless answer. ahaha. frustrations. (sighs) call them and whine to them, and based on experience, they act fast if you speak english to them.. you will be on priority if you do.. trust me.. :)

A hopeless answer. ahaha. frustrations. (sighs) call them and whine to them, and based on experience, they act fast if you speak english to them.. you will be on priority if you do.. trust me.. :)

I've had sessions with their tech support the first year I was with Smart Bro... and I was always given rebates.... and weekly visits by the contractors. :) But for the minor issues... it's useless to call them. You get silly requests like, putting the PC directly to the SM. And asking me what OS I use... (I don't use Windows)... what DNS am I using... blah blah blah blah... :D

But for the minor issues... it's useless to call them. You get silly requests like, putting the PC directly to the SM. And asking me what OS I use... (I don't use Windows)... what DNS am I using... blah blah blah blah... :D

yep, those canned call center questions.. makes you look dumb.  :idiot2: