How To Tweak Smart BRO WiFi

elijahpaul

off topic

is that really you in your avie? i think you didn't answer me before. that girl looks familiar to me, looks like a model i've seen before.

I'm a lot more prettier than the avie you can visit my hubby's friendster if you like! He's just very strict on me posting my pics! Seloso eh!  :2funny:

:smiley: thanks for clarifying my insight on updating my network drivers! azgauth you should update yours too!  :cheesy:

Update? how? I tried almost every tweak available but i think none works for me, aside from those speed bugs, i never really got over 400kbps. just my usual 150-250kbps.

Im still looking for the perfect tweak for my PC. any suggestions?

the statement says:

The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed... i think that means i already have the latest software installed

but how come i still dont get those 400+ kbps speeds?

sorry if i have posted this before on the wrong thread, i guess my querry's place rightfully belongs here...

so, i was asking if gourame's setting for cablenut is in any way compatible with windows vista...that is something i forgot to consider upon tweaking some settings before. maybe, it is one reason i should have considered...anyway...sorry if this was asked and answered before...i just can't find the proper place to ask...gourame seemed to be inactive these past few days...

thanks...by the way, i am using windows vista ultimate 32-bit edition. thanks.

@azgauth, sorry for minding your post but you can get to your manufacturer's site by just searching google for the hardware name...well, for your case, google VIA Rhine Ethernet driver and if you're wondering what manufactured that hardware...hmmm obviously it is VIA...hope this helps... :smiley:

but some posts i've read while browsing is concerned about the RWIN thing which up to now is alien to me...as today, i have not installed cablenut yet...i've just finished reformatting my pc and laptop.

i've tried some tweaks before and i just ended up messing too much and for that, i guess, i will at the moment just leave my speed to that level. anyway, in all fairness to smart, what im getting is i assume just enough for what i've been paying for...asking for more is just too unethical though some increases would surely be appreciated...of course! :grin:

definition of rwin,from this site http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks/5._RWIN

RWIN (TCP Receive Window) is the amount of data that your computer can accept without acknowledging the sender. If the sender has not received acknowledgment for the first packet it sent, it will stop and wait. If this wait exceeds a certain limit, it may even retransmit. This is how TCP achieves reliable data transfer.

Anyway, this start/stop action slows down the throughput considerably in some cases. Hence, RWIN should be large enough to sustain continuous data transfer. By default, this window is too small (8760 for Windows 95/98/98SE/NT and 17520 for Windows ME/2000/XP) for many types of DSL and Cable (Broadband).

Raising RWIN creates a larger window, which allows more information to come through non-stop, up to a point. After this point, no difference will be noticed for the particular connection. For each user, this point can/will vary and is determined by (bandwidth * delay) product.

Please note that there is no single value for all hosts on the Internet. You have to allocate some reasonable extra RWIN (say 20-25%) for variance from average latency

note that smartbro's plan 999 has advertised speeds of 384Kbps. most members(me included) get way below that, sometimes to the extent that it is comparable to dial up connection. because of that, we turn to tweaking to compensate for smartbro's shortcomings.