How To Tweak Smart BRO WiFi

elijahpaul

:police: ok now folks, I've seen a thousand post re smartbro...tweaking, post your speed, canopy, wifi, etc...

so what's  the real deal ?  Can we really increase speed of smartbro broadband? dami kasi adviser who are typical, but noone has consolidated all info... I've seen post like 600kbps+ download but no tips on how they achivied that!!!  Enlightem me pls...

Guest sexpert

so post ur test results from testmy.net...that will show u ur actual speed...that test site shows my speed almost double what it actually is...it's not accurate

Thespidersense welcome to the forum  :welcome: enjoy ur stay...stay long come back often

On my observation, I think he will get much slower speed on testmy, since he is not within US territory, so the distance matters when you want accurate speed test result, especially during peak hours where you get a very slow speed on testmy.net even you have a very good download speed at that time (actual downloading of file using Download Accelerator Plus)... Speedtest dot net  represents more accurate speed result since it has a regionalize server unlike testmy which is solely based in US...

On my observation, I think he will get much slower speed on testmy, since he is not within US territory, so the distance matters when you want accurate speed test result, especially during peak hours where you get a very slow speed on testmy.net even you have a very good download speed at that time (actual downloading of file using Download Accelerator Plus)... Speedtest dot net  represents more accurate speed result since it has a regionalize server unlike testmy which is solely based in US...

dude, do you know how many servers in the Philippines are? being closer to the test server will not give you accurate results, since most of the time, you are not downloading from the Philippines , it's from abroad. if you test from a far away server, it will reflect how you  will be using your internet connection to get data more accurately.

Guest sexpert

dude, do you know how many servers in the Philippines are?

Do you know how many???

The bottom line is that testmy speed test result are slow @ peak hours, means to say you have a slow connection to testmy.net website. It does not represent the true speed of your internet. The actual speed of your of your internet can be determine thru the use of bandwidth monitoring software(realtime upload/download rate) not your connection to a specific website...

You might get a very slow speed result on testmy (for testmy website only) but with a very high download speed as indicated on a download manager like DAP.

sexpert... :bs: i'm sorry but...the speedtest website server that i test from is right here in the city that i live in...it shows my speed as almost double what it actually is...their test is not accurate...sorry...sad but true

their test just showed me at 14218 Kbps down and 558 up

here r my actual results

share2-5YKBS0Q4E&dual=yes&q2=GZL12RA7U

which is exactly what i pay for...so server location only has something to do with it if the test ur taking is an accurate test...which theirs has never been...ur theory has holes in it...fact is tmn is the most accurate

but some people just wanna see the higher number...they don't really wanna know what their true speed is... :shrug:

looks like i need to adjust my sig...

Guest sexpert

@tdawnaz

Granting that speedtest dot net is inaccurate, but for us speed testers here in the philippines we got a slow speed result ( the numbers are literally low just around 100 + kbps) where in fact my speed when I download at peak hours it is faster than what is advertised speed of 384 kbps.

wow, thanks again for making me look like a noob. i may be a one, i just didn't know it

The bottom line is that testmy speed test result are slow @ peak hours, means to say you have a slow connection to testmy.net website. It does not represent the true speed of your internet. The actual speed of your of your internet can be determine thru the use of bandwidth monitoring software(realtime upload/download rate) not your connection to a specific website...

i didn't say website, i said server. big difference. this includes file sharing servers like megaupload, rapidshare, filecow, even the server of download.com, yahoo, friendster, msn and others. point is, why trust a speed test with a server based here on our country, if these servers(and the others i haven't included) that we commonly use are based abroad. keep believing this, and you will most likely be manipulated by smartbro, telling you that you have a good connection,but when you download data from abroad, you get slow results

You might get a very slow speed result on testmy (for testmy website only) but with a very high download speed as indicated on a download manager like DAP.

and yet another thing you should believe. basing your speed on download managers is wrong. for a quick review:

A download manager is a computer program dedicated to the task of downloading (and sometime uploading) possibly unrelated stand-alone files from (and sometime to) the Internet for storage. This is unlike a World Wide Web browser, which is mainly intended to browse web pages, composed of a multitude of smaller files, where error-free moving of files for permanent storage is of secondary importance. (A failed or incomplete web page file rarely ruins the page.) The typical download manager at a minimum provides means to recover from errors without losing the work already completed, and can optionally split the file to be downloaded (or uploaded) into 2 or more segments, which are then moved in parallel, potentially making the process faster within the limits of the available bandwidth. (A few servers are known to block moving files in parallel segments, on the principle that server capacity should be shared equally by all users.) Multi-source is the name given to files that are downloaded in parallel.

Download managers are useful for active Internet users. For dial-up users, they can automatically dial the internet service provider at night, when rates or tariffs are usually lower, download the specified files, and hang-up. They can record which links the user clicks on during the day, and queue these files for later download. For broadband users, download managers can help download very large files by resuming broken downloads, by limiting the bandwidth used, so that other internet activities are not affected (slowed) and the server is not overloaded, or by automatically navigating a site and downloading pre-specified content (photo galleries, MP3 collections, etc.) this can also include automatically downloading whole sites and regularly updating them.

see the bold sentence?

The typical download manager can optionally split the file to be downloaded (or uploaded) into 2 or more segments, which are then moved in parallel, potentially making the process faster within the limits of the available bandwidth.

if you base your connection speed with this, then your basis is very situational. first, it says optional. second, it uses a trick/feature to make your downloads faster(if you can fool yourself by thinking that your speed is fast, just because you base it on DAP that uses tricks up its sleeve and hogs all the sever capacity, be my guest.don't tell me i didn't warn you) third. this only affects direct link downloads. how about downloading from torrent, or just plain browsing websites? download managers don't handle this type of connections.

besides, using download managers cheat others. remember, server capacity should be shared equally by all users.

Guest sexpert

Even I download without using download managers still I got a speed greater  than what is advertised. Even just a plain internet browsing or video streaming, the connection is seamless.  Well It is really up to you if you simply rely on the results of speed test to a far away speed test server and make believe that you have a very slow internet connection even it is not.

Ok, forget about speedtest dot net, but how will you explain a result from 2wire dot com which gives a speed test result on peak hours greater than 384 kbps? by the way 2wire is US based server.

Guest sexpert

Ok, forget about speedtest dot net, but how will you explain a result from 2wire dot com which gives a speed test result on peak hours greater than 384 Kbps? by the way 2wire is US based server. do you mean that testmy is the only reliable server and all other speed results from other servers are hoax? :grin:

ok, here are both test results from both 2wire and testmy

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 255 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 31 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/17 - 11:09am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 33.03 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 47.969 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 99.61 % of your hosts average (smartbro.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9VQZXYMRC

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

kulit.jpg

i'll still believ the one from testmy because at the time of testing, i am downloading torrent data. how can my speed be still close to the advertised 384, if while testing i'm also consuming a sizable amount of bandwidth(23kB/s)?

anyway, smartbro uses 2wire to speed test. maybe that's why they chose it, because it gives inaccurately higher results. :tongue2:

Guest sexpert

ok, here are both test results from both 2wire and testmy

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.. Download Stats ..:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 255 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 31 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/17 - 11:09am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 33.03 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 47.969 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: 90% + Okay : running at 99.61 % of your hosts average (smartbro.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9VQZXYMRC

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11

kulit.jpg

i'll still believ the one from testmy because at the time of testing, i am downloading torrent data. how can my speed be still close to the advertised 384, if while testing i'm also consuming a sizable amount of bandwidth(23kB/s)?

anyway, smartbro uses 2wire to speed test. maybe that's why they chose it, because it gives inaccurately higher results. :tongue2:

Lolz, let say you have  consumed a  23 kilobytes / sec  or (184 Kbps) of bandwidth for torrent and a speedresult from 2wire of 348 Kbps... Add the 2 bandwidth : 348 + 184 = 532 Kbps. see that? that possible speed in smartbro even you test in on testmy! :tongue2:

You have speedtest results before on testmy and it was somewhat closer or higher tthan 532 kbps. SO meaning testmy is innaccurate too?:tongue2:

ok, that settles it. anyway, you remind me of someone who doesn't prefer taking tests here in testmy.net, but he keeps returning here anyway. he was banned before, and i think he was banned a second time. i think he goes by jun101ph or something.

i was just thinking the same thing...took the words right out of my mouth...and continually advertises for speedtest...just like the other two...

i also was gonna ask/state to sexpert...i've noticed that u always test elsewhere and never seem happy with the tmn test results that u get...so i have to wonder why to u return here?? i wouldn't go back where i'm not happy...why do u?...if ur so happy with the other test sites...why not go hang out in there forum...or at least behave urself here so we don't recognize u.

:haha:

Who's Jun101ph? I'm not advertising the website. Here's my test results on this website. :sad:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 185 Kbps about 0.19 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 23 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 433 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 53 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/12/17 - 10:27pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-RBU5WKIAY

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WSNVIKG32

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

I thought following this guide would give me twice the commercial download speed. :sad: HELP? Why is this not working? I'm slower than the commercial download speed. I've tweaked my canopy downloaded cablenut and did tweaks. It's still slow? BUT performance wise, browsing is really FAST. I wonder why I'm going only 185kb.

Guest ExtremeFusion

Well, I was not here when jun101ph was banned..and wasn't able to see his post that got him banned..

But I am noticing a pattern...

Last time there was someone aside from jun101ph that constantly and sarcastically contradicts CB2k7 and other few members of tmn.. Sorry If I have to Name Drop CB2k7, he was one of the major concerns in a particular thread that i recall...in which a mod had to stop their bickering... 

And now, things are quite the same as before...

@FB you know what this is about...

Anyways, The Mod here has a way to find out who is a bannee that resign-up over and over...