Need help configuring Windows XP / Vista dual boot

disturbed

Well, I sort of ran into a road block - or, maybe not.....

Assume this situation....I have windows XP install on hard drive 1, and I have VISTA installed on hard drive 2....

My BIOS requires me to choose from which hard drive I want to boot initially...the problem is, each hard drive now has its own boot file....

Both OS's boot fine when booting from hard drive separately, but that can get annoying...

I understand that Windows VISTA has a different boot loader, but assuming that there two operating systems are on different hard drives, I really want to set my hard drive 1 (the one that has windows xp) as my default boot hard drive....

so.....I need to add vista to the good old windows xp boot.ini

I know how to add entries and such, but I am having bad luck nailing the right combination of entries....does anyone have a similar situation and can help me with creating a correct entry for windows vista ?

• 2 weeks later...

most of the time when I have seen it work it is done from the Vista boot loader..  I had Beta 1 dual booting for a while..  Check out this site...

http://www.windowstalk.org/dual_boot_vista.htm

Back to the original post, disturbed has 2 drives, each with a different windows but can't dual boot, only by changing the bios setting to the drive he wants because only 1 drive can be primary. I remember a type of manual switch a number of years ago that let you use up to three drives on the same PC each with it's own OS. The switch let you choose which drive you wanted to boot from each with an IDE connection. The only other way I know of is to partition the drive for each OS and then the bios will ask which OS before booting the OS.