Trying to configure a wired router and a wireless router?

PastorP

I have a Trendnet wired router and a Us. Robotics max g wireless router.  I am trying to set a  my sever (for web hosting) on the wired router and the rest of our Network on the wireless router and hsare the internet on both.  Any help would be appreciated.

We are setting it up this way to prevent hackers from getting into our ntework while aloowing other to get to our web site and also host a audio stream.

Also I have one Pc connected right to the 1st router which is wired stright to the dfsl modem and I have internet connection.  I ran a another cable from the wired router 1 to the 2nd router whihc is wireless and anything connocted to that router has no internet connection.  Two desk tops are connected straight to the 2nd router.

Im not great at this but i will try to help

1. the second router did you plug it into the WAN/Internet port or a port 1-4 ?

if the internet port you might want to try this first

take and configure the router to have an ip address of like 192.168.1.254 so as not to interfere with anyother computers on the network turn off the DHCP server and set it for a static ip address with the gateway being the ip address of your first router then plug it into a port on the first router to an open port not the WAN/Internet port on the second router this wil enable your pcs to get the ip from the first routers DHCP server ill try to draw it

Set the first router ip address to 192.168.1.x.  Make sure that DHCP is off and the web forward is forwarding to the server.  You are going to have to assign a static IP address to the server and to the router.  On the second router USE dhcp and have the address be 192.168.2.x.  This will place them on seperate network.. 

Set the first router ip address to 192.168.1.x.  Make sure that DHCP is off and the web forward is forwarding to the server.  You are going to have to assign a static IP address to the server and to the router.  On the second router USE dhcp and have the address be 192.168.2.x.  This will place them on seperate network.. 

I have a static ip from my ISP.  I have a Static ip for the 1st and the second.  Web forwarding is not set up yet because I can not get the pc's to see one another let alone the internet.  Now I may not know alot but I think that it my have to do with the IP addresses.  I have connected the Cat 5 everyway but lose.  On the first router  I am doing great I can get out on the net.  There is just something with the second.

I also noticed that the dns serve that my ISP provided is notbeing used as the dns on the first router but I am still getting out on the net?  Could it be that is causing a problem?

Im not great at this but i will try to help

1. the second router did you plug it into the WAN/Internet port or a port 1-4 ?

if the internet port you might want to try this first

take and configure the router to have an ip address of like 192.168.1.254 so as not to interfere with anyother computers on the network turn off the DHCP server and set it for a static ip address with the gateway being the ip address of your first router then plug it into a port on the first router to an open port not the WAN/Internet port on the second router this wil enable your pcs to get the ip from the first routers DHCP server ill try to draw it

I tried it and nothing.  Second router is looking at me like what  :grin:?

I have done this once before and have this setup at my home in IL with a Dlink to IP330.. Take a look at the image..

As far as DNS goes.. you can either enter the DNS server that your IP gives you on the router configuration page for Router #2 or enter 192.168.1.1. 

With this setup you are going to run the connection from the Router 1 to the Router 2 WAN connection. This creates two distinct networks.. Otherwise you will be on the same network with just an AP..  However, with the setup you should be able to visit the site via IP address.. but the traffic inbound should not be able to come onto the second segment.

If that doesnt make sense let me know and I will try to explain it better..

Ok I will give it a try and what happens.  the Wires look like I have them that way already i just think it is something to do with the IP address that is keeping it from working like I want it too.  In  what you are saying is exactly what I am trying to do.  That is keeping hackers from the other three pc that are on our Network.

Thank you. I will let you know how it goes.

Pastor J. Allen Pennington

I have done this once before and have this setup at my home in IL with a Dlink to IP330.. Take a look at the image..

As far as DNS goes.. you can either enter the DNS server that your IP gives you on the router configuration page for Router #2 or enter 192.168.1.1. 

With this setup you are going to run the connection from the Router 1 to the Router 2 WAN connection. This creates two distinct networks.. Otherwise you will be on the same network with just an AP..  However, with the setup you should be able to visit the site via IP address.. but the traffic inbound should not be able to come onto the second segment.

If that doesnt make sense let me know and I will try to explain it better..

what would be the default gateway address?  The 1st router or the 2nd routers ip and the make a static ip for the router?

http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

this link might help u out

That does not segment the networks like you are looking for.. that setup is an AP, Access point, on top of the existing server network..

what would be the default gateway address?  The 1st router or the 2nd routers ip and the make a static ip for the router?

That does not segment the networks like you are looking for.. that setup is an AP, Access point, on top of the existing server network..

Ok Here is the skinny.  After about almost a week I am proud to announce that I am Posting from our new server.  What I think happen was that My wife went and got something on here and it was causing conflicts and that is why I could not get into the router and set up the IP's. 

Well I happen reinstall the software and now it is working like a charm.  I would like to thank each and everyone for helping us with this project.  We are waiting for verizon to take our lines back and we are going to give earthlink a try.

After we get Earthlink setup we should be online with our new website and shoutcast broadcast.

Our Website addy is www.power4deliverance.org

You can presnetly view our Gobal Broadcast on StreamingFaith.com under the powernetwork on that site.  Our Broadcast is Power4Deliverance with yours truly Pastor J. Allen Pennington.

Once again we would like to thank each and everyone who took time to help us with this problem.

His Humble Servant

J. Allen Pennington

Pastor