HELP 107 Kbps with sudden link

Tinsley

Somebody please help me I have sudden link and my test scores are 107 kbps my upload 134kbps . I have a dell xps400 7 months old. I had the cable guy come out and he said it was a software problem so I uninstalled mcafee and internet explorer 7 and i think I messed it up even more. Please tell me what I can do. I cant even down load the smallest file.This is driving me crazy. Should I take it in to get fixxed it is still under warrenty.HELP

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just trying to look it up. Is it the cable or my computer? Just a few minutes ago I got a 41/2 stars.This is driving me crazy.I don't want to spend alot of money if it is the cable.Could it be my computer ?

I was just trying to look it up. Is it the cable or my computer? Just a few minutes ago I got a 41/2 stars.This is driving me crazy.I don't want to spend alot of money if it is the cable.Could it be my computer ?

I would seriously reccomend , following the link, as Tommie stated, we will all help you as needed, you must have a clean system to first diagnose the issue.

Do you do regular scans for virus, and spyware?

Belive me I have every registry fix, pcfix, regcure.You name it I'm going broke buying all the software. I have spysweeper I have defragmented my computer.I have done all these things. Even the cable guys didnt know what it was. I can get on the internet with know problem but I cant watch videos or download any thing. I need speed.I have wasted to much time on this

Belive me I have every registry fix, pcfix, regcure.You name it I'm going broke buying all the software. I have spysweeper I have defragmented my computer.I have done all these things. Even the cable guys didnt know what it was. I can get on the internet with know problem but I cant watch videos or download any thing. I need speed.I have wasted to much time on this

ok, do you know your advertized speed?, and what is your ISP?

I do have two browsers aol & firefox and IE 7

Have you checked your ethernet cord from the modem to the computer? Some time they go bad and so do NIC cards.

No I havnt my husband has told me to replace it. When the cable guy came he had a laptop but plug up his cable cords not mine and his lap top work just fine.What are NIC cards?

I went to the web site Tommie told me to go to and it wouldn't download the program ewido. You guys were great I think I'm gonna hit the sack. I will check back with you tommorrow.Thanks

Have a good rest ,and dont worry , the issue will soon show itself :)

I do have two browsers aol & firefox and IE 7

No I havnt my husband has told me to replace it. When the cable guy came he had a laptop but plug up his cable cords not mine and his lap top work just fine.What are NIC cards?

Please note in the quote, "I do have two browsers, 1 AOL, 2 Firefox, and 3 IE7". If you have AOL loaded get rid of it, causes many problems because it wants control and is tough to uninstall. You will need too look many places for all the folders. Its possible it is preventing your downloading. I would run a registry repair program after, there are free ones. All my Apps I'm using for maintenance are free ones.  :smiley:

1. Don't replace anything.

2. Don't buy any more software.

3. Find out your advertised speeds from your ISP

4. Ask them to check your modem's signal levels. Ask them if it's doing well. (It probably is).

5. If your laptop is under warranty, make use of it. You paid for a high-end laptop. That gives you the best tech support as well. Dell techs are well qualified. If you can have a tech come to your house and look it over, do so.

6. Your computer has some type of "goback" or restore feature. Utilize that option, but before you make any more software changes, be sure to backup your data.

7. Start from scratch. This is the last option if anyone suggests anything else that fits between this step and #6. If you choose this step, I recommend to have step 5 to do so.

=)

1. Don't replace anything.

2. Don't buy any more software.

3. Find out your advertised speeds from your ISP

4. Ask them to check your modem's signal levels. Ask them if it's doing well. (It probably is).

5. If your laptop is under warranty, make use of it. You paid for a high-end laptop. That gives you the best tech support as well. Dell techs are well qualified. If you can have a tech come to your house and look it over, do so.

6. Your computer has some type of "goback" or restore feature. Utilize that option, but before you make any more software changes, be sure to backup your data.

7. Start from scratch. This is the last option if anyone suggests anything else that fits between this step and #6. If you choose this step, I recommend to have step 5 to do so.

=)

All really good advice.

Ouch how bad is that. I don't have a lap top I have a dell XPS 400 Desktop. When I called the cable guy to come out he tested the lines with his lap top. Saying it was my computer and it was a software problem. I have already did a system restore still get the same thing. As far a dell my computer is still under warranty.It is just getting on the phone with them.I have also uninstalled AOL and I still get the same thing.Like I said I have done all of the above. At this point I'm ready to take it to get fixed. I also ran pcpit stop diagnostic test and it told me I was above average and in good shape. I think I will try to replace some of the cables.And see what happens. I will let you know.Thanks guys

Then it is my download what do you make of that. What can it be?

From all you've said you have done I don't think cables would make a difference since the same path is up and down, but you could try. The only only other thing I can think of is a registry cleaner.

Just a thought here did you happen to visually see the cable guy's test results? Also did you find Suddenlink's advertised speeds and what package do you have(how much/month)?

Where do I find that I think I pay 40.00 a month.It is all in with my cable bill and it gets drafted. As far as a registry cleaner I have regcure pcpitstop. I think they are just optimizer. Do you know of any free ones? Thanks