Is this a decent line test

mbrainerd

hey mbrainerd :)

the test is not bad, but you should ask your ISP if they can reduce your first hop ping (gateway) by using fastpath, these interleaved error corrections many times make more damage then good.

If you have a good signal the ISP can disable the error correction and that will reduce your first hop ping to around 5-10 ms

The error correction helps your modem to be synced and reduce loss to gateway, i can see you have a 1-2 % of loss even tho your using interleaved service so you might have some problems with very low signal

I have seen alot of ppl with ADSL with my ISP that have the very same problems, they called support and if modem signal was good they switched over them to use fastpath. Ping and speed got alot better....

VanBuren :)

the test is not bad, but you should ask your ISP if they can reduce your first hop ping (gateway) by using fastpath, these interleaved error corrections many times make more damage then good.

If you have a good signal the ISP can disable the error correction and that will reduce your first hop ping to around 5-10 ms

The error correction helps your modem to be synced and reduce loss to gateway, i can see you have a 1-2 % of loss even tho your using interleaved service so you might have some problems with very low signal

I have seen alot of ppl with ADSL with my ISP that have the very same problems, they called support and if modem signal was good they switched over them to use fastpath. Ping and speed got alot better....

Hey Van,

Is this s/thing my ISP can do just for me? Or does it effect every customer. I always have a lot of problems with talking to my ISP. It seems everyone on this board is smarter than my ISP. Just like to have my ducks in a row b4 I call them.

all i know is that my ISP can disable error correction and use fastpath on the users that want so, it dosent affect other customers.

they fix this in a few minutes

Just got off the phone  with my lead tech person. He has no idea what I am talking about. He said he will do it if he knows how. Is there a place on the net that gives a tutorial? Remember Van I live in a small town these tech's are still learning.

Found info on internet that I emailed tech support so hopefully they will use it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it should be a pretty easy thing to change

http://www.nettonet.com/support/docs/240-0000038_r03

quote "Addition of a line buffer configuration option for which the choices are Interleave (default) or Fast Buffer. Fast Buffer delivers data faster and with less latency than Interleave, though it is not as tolerant to line errors. Interleave includes settable Correction and Delay parameters (in milliseconds) for both the upstream and downstream directions on the ADSL line and will display the depth achieved at current settings."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps298/products_feature_guide09186a00800a9319.html

Email these links to your ISP, they should be able to find out how to do  ;)

Just sent them to my ISP. I will let you know what they tell me. I will probably have to call them everyday for a week to ge tthem to do it. They  checked my line when they first installed, said line coming into my home was good for 7 meg down and 1 meg up so I have good signal strength.

Thanx again.  :D