[POLL] Best Free AntiVirus out there ?

just-

Best FREE Anti Virus software?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Best FREE Anti Virus software?

• AVG
    • Avast
    • Avira AntiVir Personal limited free Edition
    • AOL Active Virus Shield (Kaspersky Antivirus)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like avg. As well avg anti spyware of late has found stuff so many other programs have missed. Both are free. I like comodo for a firewall. Comodo is free.  Startup Inspector is handy not only to control startup programs but to help track down nastys when your computer starts. Helps you find out if the program is needed and what it is. If it dosent know it offers a link to google it. It is free as well.

I can say forsure that useful computer programs really dont follow the rule "you get what you pay for". I find free programs work just as well and sometimes even better than the "paid" ones.

I really like avg. As well avg anti spyware of late has found stuff so many other programs have missed. Both are free. I like comodo for a firewall. Comodo is free.  Startup Inspector is handy not only to control startup programs but to help track down nastys when your computer starts. Helps you find out if the program is needed and what it is. If it dosent know it offers a link to google it. It is free as well.

I can say forsure that useful computer programs really dont follow the rule "you get what you pay for". I find free programs work just as well and sometimes even better than the "paid" ones.

Exactly and norton is exspensive and well plain out sucks  :evil6:

I wasent a big fan of AVG, didn't like the huge pop-up every time it updated. Avast was sweet imo except for the huge beep that came up when he found a virus. About McAfee, it came trial on my laptop, I liked it but not quite enuff to pay for it. Right now I use nod32, which I love. Although it is not free, there is a readily available patch out there that actually makes it free. Then again, I like it so much I'm considering buying it anyways, just like I can download any cd on the net or just buy it.

I wasent a big fan of AVG, didn't like the huge pop-up every time it updated. Avast was sweet imo except for the huge beep that came up when he found a virus. About McAfee, it came trial on my laptop, I liked it but not quite enuff to pay for it. Right now I use nod32, which I love. Although it is not free, there is a readily available patch out there that actually makes it free. Then again, I like it so much I'm considering buying it anyways, just like I can download any cd on the net or just buy it.

...isnt that slightly illegal...unless i read it wrong....  :wink2:

complete list of what I have:

Comodo Firewall Pro

Avast Anti-virus

Spybot S&D

Ad-aware SE personal

AVG Anti-Spyware

Spyware Blaster

Spyware Terminator

Everything is free and runs great.

Specs for my Laptop:

HP dv8000 1.8 Ghz AMD Turion 64, 1GB Ram, ATI Radeon 128mb dedicated video memory, Windows XP Media Center 2005.

...isnt that slightly illegal...unless i read it wrong....  :wink2:

:evil6: there is a craxz for just about everthing out there if you seek,

is this right or wrong, I guess it's down to your conscience ,

but also there is a Grey area , where maybe it is OK in my view

My Grandson (11y )bought Lord of the Rings legit ,lost the reg # and on his new puter couldn't run it, the supplier  came up with buy a new copy , :evil2:,  he buys his own games out of his pocket money for doing jobs around the house, so I cracked it for him , in my view that was justified,

Back on topic , Anti virus software,

Grisofts AVG has never failed me ,

I guess a lot depends where you surf  :oops::lol: 

:evil6: there is a craxz for just about everthing out there if you seek,

is this right or wrong, I guess it's down to your conscience ,

but also there is a Grey area , where maybe it is OK in my view

My Grandson (11y )bought Lord of the Rings legit ,lost the reg # and on his new puter couldn't run it, the supplier  came up with buy a new copy , :evil2:,  he buys his own games out of his pocket money for doing jobs around the house, so I cracked it for him , in my view that was justified,

Back on topic , Anti virus software,

Grisofts AVG has never failed me ,

I guess a lot depends where you surf  :oops::lol: 

I guess that supplier didn't have a good enough anti-virus working for him  :violent1:

Hey I don't blame you Roco. If it is just getting reimbursement for something that should have been yours, why not.  [nerdly] Just saved the poor boy and yourself some headaches. :angel:

i agree. but i mean being too cheap to buy a 15 dollar cd and just downloading it illegaly is a completely different thing

haha i'm starting to sound like reso  :evil6::knuppel2:

I voted for Active Virus Shield by AOL as it doesn't seem to miss a beat.

It ranks right on par with the best AV on the market (Kaspersky), and has proved its credibility when up against some of the most malicious viruses. Real world testing shows that.

See here: http://www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=82&mnu=82

If I wasn't using Kaspersky Internet Security, I'd have Active Virus Shield on my system for protection.

You can get a free firewall elsewhere.

I used to pay for McAfee = problems; generally Trojans.

Tried Avast = Really no problems, but the active monitor limited download speed to like 7-8Mb/s.

I have bow been using AVG Free coupled with Spybot S&D for over a year and have had ZERO problems. Works great.

My Vote: AVG