Running TESTMY.NET as a Windows "service" for automatic monitoring ...

JimA.Fennessey

Hi everyone ...

I'm part of a group of nonprofit agencies working in countries where Internet connections are very poor ... and very expensive.  Also, the ISP vendors in those countries often promise more than they consistently deliver.  So, there's a real need for a simple automatic tool that measures both download speed and upload speed, and puts those results in an online database where they can be retrieved and analyzed.  I've been using testmy.net for this, and it's working well.  We've already been able to document the performance patterns we  see, something which previously was almost impossible. 

But, I've been asked if there's a way to make the scheduled tests run as a service in the background, so there's no need to open IE or keep it open.  If that could be done, we could simplify the data collection, and could use the results more widely.  I've thought of perhaps an app that runs as a service, and simply opens the URL for the testmy.net auto testing, and runs with no user interface ... Sounds fairly simple, but my skills as a programmer are not quite up to this.

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Jim

http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/scheduled_test.php

that is the best way to go right now..  as far as running it as a service.. I am going to have to look into that to see if that would even be possible..  Any chance that you have a linux box sitting around somewhere?  You could use cron to run a command that would run the speed test without an interface, I am pretty sure.