Dual onboard Marvell Yulon Gigabit ethernet controllers/ losing connection while

g1nked

Hello all and thanks for taking time to look at my post. I have a couple of questions so I will start with I guess the more pressing issue at hand.

I am an insightbb isp customer and I have used mirc and ircn for my entertainment for sometime now to preview before buying etc etc but my problems have seem to arise since insightbb went 10.0 . My issue is that if I have more then one download going at once regardless of speeds but usually I get good connections that at no specific time into the second one and sometimes it just seems to happen when dl one at a fast speed I will get a transfer incomplete notice as in the connection is lost and my internet is out ...now let me elaborate my internet is lost on the computer I was dl from but all other computers on my home LAN are still on-line and until I reboot my "lost internet connection" computer I can not get back on-line but it puzzles me that I remain on-line from my other computer which is on the same linksys router as the one that goes down. I can then come back to resume the download and once again it will do the same thing ,the majority of time not always, loose connection until i reboot and resume the download? I never seemed to have this issue when it was the 4.0 insight and It doesn't seem to make a difference what mirc channel i try from and I have no other friends with the same means having the same issues?

I know this sounds Chinese to me but maybe someone else has a solution or method to correct this madness that has more knowledge on the topic.

My second question is that my Asus motherboard has dual ethernet and is there any benefits to running both, I currently have them both connected to my router so I get two internal ips 192.168.1.101 @ 102 but why if there is any benefit to this which there must be some reason for them or I guess they wouldn't be installed/manufactured like that?

I do appreciate the wisdom I have received from these forums and know if there is an answer to be found this usually is the best place to start looking. I hope to hear from you guys and or gals in the near future.

Thanks

welcome to the forum!

what model router is it? i have found some problems with a few linksys routers processing data of that high rate of speed.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT 3rd party firmware... and a linksys wrt54gx2 which cuts out after it goes passed 1.5 mb/s but its fine below that... I am on the InsightBB 15/1.5 internet package.. have had no service losses =)

My second question is that my Asus motherboard has dual ethernet and is there any benefits to running both, I currently have them both connected to my router so I get two internal ips 192.168.1.101 @ 102 but why if there is any benefit to this which there must be some reason for them or I guess they wouldn't be installed/manufactured like that?

no there is no benefit. i think you should only use one connection actually rather then 2.

it might creat a loop in your network, though this is not very probable, but i just dont see a reason why u should complicate routing in a small network in your house.

you dont get double the bandwidth by hooking up ur self 2 times

I have two Linksys Routers I have the WRT54GS  Wireless G Broadband Router and I also have the BEFSR41 which I used to run but currentlyits just for looks  I run the wireless one allthough I only run 2 wired computers on my lan for the most part. On occassion I  will have a guest come in and use the wireless but for the majority of the time 95% I just run the two hardwired computers and leave the wireless off until needed.

Firmare V4.71.1  is what i run after talking with the techs at linksys I gave up my wireless nic card and went back to ethernet due to slow and inconsistent speeds and disconnects while the wireless cpu was less than 15ft away in the same room I seem to like the wired version better for more reliability and speed. Do you think I should run both routers or its not really neccessary I wouldnt think? I like running the wireless over the wired since of course I use the wireless as a wired and when my son comes over he can get on thru the wireless connection after i turn it on. I am highly interested in that 3rd party Firmware I will try to google it. So I guess I could bypass my router and try straight from the modem and see if this eliminates the disconnects it just seems funny that it wouldnt kill both computers internet connectivity instead of just the one im using?

I am interested in what you said about 3rd party Firmware? could you elaborate more into lamens terms < if i spelled that right and would you recommend that for me and is that in conjunction or replacing the 192.168.1.1  setup or is it just another better version?

And I appreciate the dual connect answer I will disable one of the two onboards nic connections and just run one. I knew it didnt increase bandwith I just wondered what the benefit would be since they are both present? maybe at a lan party to hook to two different lans ??? Oh well I definetly was more interested in the first question so I thank you for your input guys on both I had a funny Feeling TimPaw would be replying because the few posts I have had here he always has a good input for any of my questions. Must be hard on the wallet to be that smart you must have to take tylenol on a daily basis!

:cheesy: Thanks alot guys again this place is the fountain of youth for network knowledge and I only hope to be able to resubmit something helpful for someone else in the future

Holy Cow I just did a brief inquiry about the 3rd party firmware and I best leave well enough alone. I am probably not even considered a noob in the network neighborhood so It look like that is cut out for rocket scientist and I couldnt even light the match let alone launch the rocket. I am intrigued by networking and always have been but I just may not be playing with enough gun powder to blow open this manhattan project hell im probably doing good if I have enough to blow my own nose.  I will point out again though that i only get service losses on one of the two lan computers and after I do a reboot of that machine it returns without faulter. is there maybe some kind of a log via windows that would show what may be causing the loss ? is it odd that when i do lose service its only on one computer? Hell Its a mystery to me, I have been thinking about looking into newsgroups but i hate to pay an additional 15bucks a month if I was going to continue to loose connections as i do with the free mirc. I wish insight didnt cap grabit or I would have never discontinued using it. Now Its capped at 1.5MB and that is painfully slow when 10MB is available. Oh well Im game to listen to any and all suggestions or solutions

Thanks alot again

Welcome to the forum..  Looking at what you are saying seems to lead to the large file issue that Tim brought up...  There is a Linksys fix out there right now with new firmware released on 2/09/07 for most of the versions.. I would try that first..  If that does not work and depending on what model of the WRT54G you own.. you would have the option to flash the router with 3rd party firmware..  The most popular on this forum is DD-WRT.. Here is a guide: http://www.testmy.net/t-12222

As far as your running dual NICs.. Depending on the manufacturer, I know that the Intel Pro NICs can bond, you can bond the NICs and get 2x the speed for downloads on large files.  What basically happens is each connection is used separately..  But you wouldnt see any speed up on daily surfing..

Holy Cow I just did a brief inquiry about the 3rd party firmware and I best leave well enough alone.

Depending on what firmware you looked at, yes it is sometime difficult..  DD-WRT you can do everything pretty much from the default web page console.  It is just a matter of uploading the new firmware.

I am running the Asus A8R32-MVP mother board so I dont know if that answers your question as far as manufacturer but I believe it should. i will try the firmware release you mentioned and get back to you guys on the issue I mentioned. I will stay away from the DD-WRT until I can read up more on it and I see you provided the guide so I will be happy to read into it. Thanks guys you all are awesome

Welcome to the forum..  Looking at what you are saying seems to lead to the large file issue that Tim brought up...  There is a Linksys fix out there right now with new firmware released on 2/09/07 for most of the versions.. I would try that first..  If that does not work and depending on what model of the WRT54G you own.. you would have the option to flash the router with 3rd party firmware..  The most popular on this forum is DD-WRT.. Here is a guide: http://www.testmy.net/t-12222

As far as your running dual NICs.. Depending on the manufacturer, I know that the Intel Pro NICs can bond, you can bond the NICs and get 2x the speed for downloads on large files. What basically happens is each connection is used separately..  But you wouldnt see any speed up on daily surfing..

Depending on what firmware you looked at, yes it is sometime difficult..  DD-WRT you can do everything pretty much from the default web page console.  It is just a matter of uploading the new firmware.

could u give  me a link or version number i couldnt find it on their site sir