new heatsinks

starship_troopers

my heatsink and fan for my amd athlon 64 3800+ is getting pretty bad...it shows temps of 261 for my cpu when im just surfing the web and using speedfan. any ideas on heatsinks and fans or new thermal paste that will help? and if thermal paste what kind of remover should i use for the thermal pad that is on my cpu and heatsink right now?

here is my cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103029

thanks

starship

There are a lot of good heatsink & fan out there. I use a Zalman  CNPS7700-CU  to keep my 3700+ cool, I am not sure if it will fit your AM2 CPU. Also I use a Arctic Cooling Cpu fan & heatsink on a old P4 computer I have works good & it's quiet. If you are into overclocking  the Tuniq tower / the Scythe Ninga or Infinity / Zalman CNPS9700  are real good. The only trouble with them is their size,They are real big and do not fit into some cases. My X2 4400+ in my sig is watercool using a Danger Den RDX water block. I use Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

i'm new to replacing heatsinks, does the one you posted (coknuck) compatible with my 90mm cpu. the specs on your link says the heatsink is 92mm. is that too big to fit in right? NEWBIE question lol

no it will fit, it works on  All AMD Sempron, Athlon 64, Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX (Socket 754, 939, AM2) All AMD Opteron

I says it is compatible:

Compatible with Socket 754, 939, 940 and the latest AM2 platforms, the Freezer 64 Pro will work flawlessly with most late-model AMD CPUs, including all AMD Sempron, Opteron, and Athlon 64, 64 X2, and 64 FX desktops.

A PWM chip keeps the 92mm fan running efficiently, with a volume of only 0.8 sone at 2200 RPM, which is tremendously quieter and more effective than the stock cooling fan.

i'm new to replacing heatsinks, does the one you posted (coknuck) compatible with my 90mm cpu. the specs on your link says the heatsink is 92mm. is that too big to fit in right? NEWBIE question lol

I think you're confusing 90nm (production process) with 90mm (physical size)...

my heatsink and fan for my amd athlon 64 3800+ is getting pretty bad...it shows temps of 261 for my cpu when im just surfing the web and using speedfan. any ideas on heatsinks and fans or new thermal paste that will help? and if thermal paste what kind of remover should i use for the thermal pad that is on my cpu and heatsink right now?

here is my cpu http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103029

thanks

starship

Right up my alley, well if your not an overclocker then just about any brand would be good for your processor just as long as its for your AMD.  Actually your better off ordering your heatsink and fan from AMD just so your warranty will not void by putting on other heat sink and fans that are not approved by AMD.  Would hate to burn your chip up and then out of luck becuase you used a component that wasnt AMD approved. 

Most important thing is stay away from the paste.  putting to much on is not good and putting to little on is not good. If your not an avid system builder then just stick with the thermal pads.

Speedfan is notorious for bad temp reporting. Try a temp program from your motherboard manufacturer it should give better results. And if you want even more reliable temp monitoring try a temp probe that goes into a drive bay and has a sensor attached. Just place the sensor on the cover of the cpu clamp thing-a-majig and make sure it does not contact the CPU at all.

Speedfan is notorious for bad temp reporting. Try a temp program from your motherboard manufacturer it should give better results. And if you want even more reliable temp monitoring try a temp probe that goes into a drive bay and has a sensor attached. Just place the sensor on the cover of the cpu clamp thing-a-majig and make sure it does not contact the CPU at all.

Yeah the best would be to use your readings the your bios gives you.

Like I said speedfan is notorious for incorrect readings and the actual software that came with your board is gonna be designed to read for that board so it will be much better and clearly is far more accurate. And bios temp settings is the best way but usually the program that comes with the motherboard is gonna read from the bios anyway and possible with a small variant between the readings. The best type is the ones that read from the core itself unfortuanetly my board doesn't read from the core it reads from a temp sensor placed near the socket so my temps will show lower than the actual temp but only by a few degrees celsius.

temps.jpg

I am not sure for the reason for the high reading.. but you are well below the thermal limits for the CPU.. There has NEVER been a processor from AMD that has needed any other heat sink other than the manufactures for normal operation.. You max core temp can go to 69*C.. at which point the core will melt.. That is 156.2*F..  So heat is really not an issue for you at this point..  You might want to get a few case fans.. to get warm air out and cool air in..

I am not sure for the reason for the high reading.. but you are well below the thermal limits for the CPU.. There has NEVER been a processor from AMD that has needed any other heat sink other than the manufactures for normal operation.. You max core temp can go to 69*C.. at which point the core will melt.. That is 156.2*F..  So heat is really not an issue for you at this point..  You might want to get a few case fans.. to get warm air out and cool air in..

Don't say never. remember the AMD Thunderbird, those were HOT!!!!! you had to have a after market cooler even with the after market cooler it was still hot.

You might want to get a few case fans.. to get warm air out and cool air in..

i have to disagree with you even though you are way smarter than me in computers. when i built this pc i bought this case http://www.sunbeamtech.com/index-2.html and it has never had any problems, except cleaning it out a few times a month because of the side air vent and dust. but it has 3 120mm fans, and a huge side air vent, plus i have another 120mm fan if i need to find space to add it.  :smile2: .

btw, do you think its my RAM? because i bought some A-DATA ram 4x 512mb sticks each with heat spreader? This is my RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211064 i dont think it is but you never know....

i have to disagree with you even though you are way smarter than me in computers. when i built this pc i bought this case http://www.sunbeamtech.com/index-2.html and it has never had any problems, except cleaning it out a few times a month because of the side air vent and dust. but it has 3 120mm fans, and a huge side air vent, plus i have another 120mm fan if i need to find space to add it.  :smile2: .

btw, do you think its my RAM? because i bought some A-DATA ram 4x 512mb sticks each with heat spreader? This is my RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211064 i dont think it is but you never know....

Ive never used A-DATA ram it looks good, ive been getting Patriot Ram Lately its cheap and fast, probably bought about 120 sticks of it in the last 6 months and haven't had a single problem with one.

Ive never used A-DATA ram it looks good, ive been getting Patriot Ram Lately its cheap and fast, probably bought about 120 sticks of it in the last 6 months and haven't had a single problem with one.

cool i've been looking into buying some ram. i'll check out patriot ram now to. i need to get anotehr 512 or a 1gig stick for my laptop.