Dual Wan - Twice the 'Bro

Mangtom

About a month ago, I got frustrated with the limited bandwidth Smart Bro offers.  I should mention that I had no issues whatsoever with the connection - it works as advertised - i.e. >384kbps connection.  But I wanted more! 

Research pointed me towards a DUAL WAN Router solution.  I wrote to Smart and asked if there would be compatibility issues with having a second connection installed and linking them with a Dual Wan Router.  After having to explain to the first level of customer service what a DUAL WAN Router was, they forwarded my query to technical support. The answer came back that Dual Wan was not compatible with Smart Bro, and if I wanted great bandwidth I should subscribe to their business services. i.e. SMART BRO Enterprise 1Mbps/256 for a mere P18,000 per month (that's US$360 per month).  They were unable to explain why it wouldn't work, which made suspicious, and after google searching led me to discover that Canopy had no problems with Dual Wan configurations,  I smelt a rat.

I decided to try it anyway.  I bought a Edimax BR-6624 Dual Band Router, had the second Smart Bro connection installed (I hid the router just in case it confused the technicians during the install!) and then connected the router hoping for the best, but expecting the worse. A Smart Bro Portal page appeared, I reactivated and could connect, but then another portal page appeared. 

The router had tried to use the second connection I guessed and it hadn't been activated. I was right, so I unplugged WAN1 and reactivated SMART Bro on WAN2 (login details for new account), I then plugged WAN1 back, unplugged WAN2 and reactivated Smart Bro (login details for older account) - plugged back WAN2 - bingo, I could connect to the net with out problem.  I checked load balancing was enabled and then set about speed tests.

Internet bandwidth tests (such as testmy.net) don't appear to show the pooled bandwidth of a dual wan connection.  This is because (to my understanding) only one broadband connection is used to transfer the test file.  Dual Wan will only show its colors when a file can be downloaded in multiple parts - i.e download manager, uTorrent etc.    So I tried to download a couple of lunux iso files using Getright and ran uTorrent and this was the result:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s290/mangtomasito/Smartbro-DualWAN.jpg

OK - this doesn't show the best average I have achieved so far - I'll try to get another capture when the rates are faster - and they have been > 1Mbps d/l and 1.4 Mbps u/l.

If you get a DUAL WAN router - be sure to configure port 443 to go to only one WAN connection, otherwise you'll not be able to use sites that have https://  - i.e. hotmail

Otherwise - I think it's worth the cost of the router to increase speed.

I forgot to mention to anyone who is considering this configuration, that you should ask the technicians who install your second connection to use another base station if possible. That way if one base station is undergoing maintenance, the other connection may still run as a fall-back.

• 2 weeks later...

I shall post  a couple of speed tests next. However,  I believe testmy.net's speed test doesn't exploit the two connections as only one file is downloaded.  If anyone knows of another test I can run to demonstrate the rate properly, please advise.

It is only when a download that can be broken into multiple parts such as that handled by a download manager, torrent client or web page with several components does the dual wan router make use of the two data streams.  But for sure - it works well and I I actually feel like I have broadband.

Read http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t25910-combining-multiple-wifi-sourcessignals-for-more-bandwidth.html and here http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=13103 for more background. 

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 398 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 49 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2007/03/27 - 2:40am

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 20.9 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 30.802 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 27.97 % faster than the average for host (234.83)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-SX9B0I5D8

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 [!]

Ok.  So here are a few results that appear to reinforce what I meant....  The standard speed tests only use one stream whereas the FTP file download test which was handled in this case by Getright Pro used four streams across the two connections.

-1.png

Speakeasy Test.JPG

Dual Wan Download - Smart Bro x2.JPG

I'm not really a gamer - but I will experiment with game server configuration and report back.  Any suggestions of how I can do this and give meaningful data to readers that are gamers?

While I don't notice the speed increase if try to watch a Spiked Humour video as only one steam, I can download the video using get right and use the full bandwidths.  The analogy with dual core processor systems in one of the background links I gave earlier is very good - I can be viewing a single video stream, but don't notice a lag if my Anti-Virus decides to update or I'm check mail etc. 

Mangtom seems like a good set up anyway for what you want to achieve

as long as you know the limitations before you go into it

how did you find the installation of the Edimax BR-6624 Dual Band Router,

how much do you pay per line ?

i am asking this questions not for me

but for other members really who might want to try this out

i am in the uk no smart bro here we have real internet connection HEHEHEHE

Blunted 2 - You might have a point about the ips - but here's the oddest thing - both of my internet connections present to the world on the same IP - such is the nature of Smart Bro's public IP ad NAT I guess.  However, that strangeness in configuration maybe the real downfall for the game server.  Already, Smart Bro subscribers are limited by the set-up for a single connection - things such as Remote Desktop Connection (incoming), Ipv4 web hosting, open ports for eMule and Bit Torrent direct peerconnections and others which are listed on elsewhere in the Smart Bro forum is impossible.  However, five years ago  - a reliable dial-up connection here for less than

sounds good

i remember when i thought about joining two connections also, adsl with like software but worked really bad

i am also surprised it works so well

that is good news :)

keep messing around and post what u find here :)

• 4 weeks later...

My dual wan, dual base station approach was working fine until Maundy Thursday when the antennae pole holding the two subscriber modules collapsed. The installer had used to the existing poll to hold both SMs and I suspect it wasn't strong enough; the engineer that has re-erected it says that a screw had failed but the poles are strong enough to hold more than two SMs.  I won't complain as I availed of the free installation promo for the second connection - but if you are planning to install a similar dual wan system and are paying the P1,000 install fee I'd suggest you insist upon separate poles and have each SM connecting to separate base stations (if practical).

I also advise you that if you have experienced the  hardships of dealing with Smart Bro's telephone support with one connection - ask your doctor for Valium before attempting to report a problem with your TWO connections.  I wish I had recorded the conversations - they would make for a great sit-com.  I felt sorry for the staff as they obviously had no prepared response that would fit my situation!

Download Connection is:: 425 Kbps about 0.43 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 52 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 373 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 46 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/04/29 - 6:44pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JAPZ6LMTO

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0I275BOUW

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.11) Gecko/20070312 Firefox/1.5.0.10 [!]

are these good numbers for a smart bro subscriber. this is really getting awkward.... :tickedoff:

• 4 weeks later...

well to connect to a game server you have to connect to 1 ip and i dont think trying to connect to 2 will work right since its 2 different ips.

Using a router would solve the problem. then configure your router to use different IP's sample is 192.168.1.xx - 192.168.1.xx to any IP you desire. The "x" is the only thing you can change. But pls take note of sharing connection to the original IP add may cause differently in connection speed. This is applicable for Linksys router.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:  For the past two weeks I have been regularly achieving a download rate of 1.5 to 2Mbps with my set-up.  Torrents have always performed well, but I'm also getting these download rates with popular downloads such as Nvidia drivers. However if I run a standard speed test on either of my connections I'm only averaging around the mid 400Kbps range.  Its as though the sum of the parts is greater than it should be.  Will keep watching and will report back if this changes.

• 4 months later...