Wireless or Wired???

bryanlautt

Who on here uses wireless and who on here uses wired and what are  your speeds and who are you with???

I myself spend most of my time on my wireless laptop and she has a wireless laptop as well and we do have a main pc thats wired but i mainly use that for our server for pushing and storing large data. I have Midcontinent for my ISP www.midcocomm.com and i have there midco max package which is unrestricted down and 512 up.

i use wiered all the time

dont get good pings on wireless

im in the uk with VirginMedia 4Mb down and 400kb Up

Ping rates with wireless are about as same wired here

Pinging testmy.net [67.18.179.85] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=49ms TTL=49

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 67.18.179.85:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 49ms, Average = 48ms

I'm wired and have Insightbb 10/1.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 10039 Kbps about 10 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1225 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/03/19 - 10:50am

Bottom Line:: 175X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.84 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 9.922 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 98.67 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8KS5TYHZO

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 941 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 115 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/03/19 - 10:46am

Bottom Line:: 16X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 8.9 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 26.031 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 49.13 % faster than the average for host (insightbb.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ZCWIRDEQS

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30) [!]

thats no too far off. probably around the middle of 08.

802.11n is rated to 540Mbit/s.. I think 1GBit/s is a little ways off..  And 802.11n is still not ratified.. (I think it is in a 30 day performance review for Draft 2 right now..)

There was a system that was able to hit 1GBit back in 2005ish.. Using MIMO, what 802.11n is based on, but it was also running at 100MHz.. Where as consumer product run from about 20-40MHz..

No doubt that ISPs will have wireless backbone capable of this type of speed.. but for the consumer level you have to minimize everything and make it reliable.. 

I am new to this....so i will best explain how i got into this,  Recently received an email from my isp (TWC NYCAP RR) claiming they were upgrading the speed to 10 Mbps download , prolly to compete with Verizon Fios,  so @ the time i thought coolbeans...

So i decided what kind of numbers i was pushing, I have a laptop so i figured I  wouldn't be close to the 10Mbps as RR claimed, with overhead and latency. i expected at least 4-5Mbps

TO MYSURPRISE , it was less, WAY less...and sure as S#!t it was barely 1Mbps . I was blown away, i keep a tight ship , no viruses here , no spyware, constant with peer guardian, and symantec corp, very basic unobtrusive. I figured either time warner was screwing me, capping the line or just plain lying. Time warner has a list of modems that support their 10Mbps download upgrade, as i checked with tech support Motorola 4200/4100 was supported for their so called speed increase.

so i fired up google for speed test and came across here...

found the cable nut, TCP optimizer, hacked the crap out of the registry followed all the easy and clear instructions, and it was night and day difference, the true potential, and claims of 10Mbps was achieved being hardwired to a d-link524 router, and moto 4100 cable modem, HBB1 hawking broadband booster( for QOS used mainly for voip and halo2) and cablenuts fast setting, and TCP optimizer.

but i have a laptop ...

i hate wires.

so here are my results,

Aces mate, game set match ...

yep wireless

dell 110l latitude stock,( ITT crappiest) other than cable nutstweaks and tcp optimizer

share-V6LMQYF82&dual=yes&q2=QGWLR6I3Y

I am new to this....so i will best explain how i got into this,  Recently received an email from my isp (TWC NYCAP RR) claiming they were upgrading the speed to 10 Mbps download , prolly to compete with Verizon Fios,  so @ the time i thought coolbeans...

So i decided what kind of numbers i was pushing, I have a laptop so i figured I  wouldn't be close to the 10Mbps as RR claimed, with overhead and latency. i expected at least 4-5Mbps

TO MYSURPRISE , it was less, WAY less...and sure as S#!t it was barely 1Mbps . I was blown away, i keep a tight ship , no viruses here , no spyware, constant with peer guardian, and symantec corp, very basic unobtrusive. I figured either time warner was screwing me, capping the line or just plain lying. Time warner has a list of modems that support their 10Mbps download upgrade, as i checked with tech support Motorola 4200/4100 was supported for their so called speed increase.

so i fired up google for speed test and came across here...

found the cable nut, TCP optimizer, hacked the crap out of the registry followed all the easy and clear instructions, and it was night and day difference, the true potential, and claims of 10Mbps was achieved being hardwired to a d-link524 router, and moto 4100 cable modem, HBB1 hawking broadband booster( for QOS used mainly for voip and halo2) and cablenuts fast setting, and TCP optimizer.

but i have a laptop ...

i hate wires.

so here are my results,

Aces mate, game set match ...

yep wireless

dell 110l latitude stock,( ITT crappiest) other than cable nutstweaks and tcp optimizer

share-V6LMQYF82&dual=yes&q2=QGWLR6I3Y

Yea, it never ceases to amaze me how many people will cry foul my ISP is lying or trying to screw me when they just plain don't know WTF they are doing. It gets a little old at times for those of us in the business. JMHO...

Yea, it never ceases to amaze me how many people will cry foul my ISP is lying or trying to screw me when they just plain don't know WTF they are doing. It gets a little old at times for those of us in the business. JMHO...

Thats true to a point but i can vouch that ISPs do have trouble at times like for instance im running about 4 to 5 right now and actually the trouble ticket has escaled all the way up to the network engineers and NOC.  They believe its either the Node or somewhere between my place and the Node it kinda sucks right now but i guess at least im still getting around 4 or 5mb down but its a big difference from the 14mb connection that im suppose to obtain give or take a little at times but generally around 14mb

But at least there giving me a 15 dollar credit for this month since im running bascially at there lower level package