Drivers/hardware

Junerian

I'm doing free computer work for my friend and I reinstalled XP on his system but he lost the driver disk his computer came with it found all his hardware though except his motherboard sound card. Is there any sight I can goto or program I can use that can tell me the name of unknown hardware so I could go to their website and download the drivers for it?  :smiley:

Hi Junerian , I have found the quickest way is to take the cover off the computer ,

and have a look ,if it is a built in sound  just look for the m/b makers name and model

or if it is a separate sound card , it should have a reference number on it , then of to the manufactures site,  ,

If it is a brand name computer (Dell, Hp,etc ).go to their site and you should find the driver there ,

No it's not brand name and I took off the cover (it's onboard sound) but couldn't find anything anywhere he bought the computer from a local computer store that closed down a few months ago and unfortunatly lost the driver disk it came with.

These should be some type of marking on the board.. look around the PCI slots..  If that doesnt work..  Download SiSoftware Sandra and run the motherboard module under Hardware.. Post those results.. It should give you a manufacture and model number.. that should give you a decent idea where to get the driver from.