Is cable a static ip or dynamic ip?

ArcticWolf

I just read about doing port forwarding for my router,turns out i need a static ip to do so. So my question is cable a static or dynamic ip  :? , Cause I would like to broadcast my internet radio station and had no problems before getting my router, and my router at this time is set up for a dynamic ip.

Cable and dsl have static( meaning it stays the same all the time) IP's and dial-up has dynamic IP's meaning you are issued your own IP addresses for cable and dsl. In dial-up, when you connect, you are given a different IP address every time.

Actually, cable address can change from time to time. They usually don't since you're connected all the time. If you want to make sure your IP address doesn't chage, you have two choices . Al least that I know of.

1. Get a buisness 'net connection with a static ip address. It costs more though.

or

2.If your router supports it  you can get dynamic DNS.

Short for dynamic Domain Name System, a method of keeping a domain name linked to a changing IP address as not all computers use static IP addresses. Typically, when a user connects to the Internet, the user's ISP assigns an unused IP address from a pool of IP addresses, and this address is used only for the duration of that specific connection. This method of dynamically assigning addresses extends the usable pool of available IP addresses. A dynamic DNS service provider uses a special program that runs on the user's computer, contacting the DNS service each time the IP address provided by the ISP changes and subsequently updating the DNS database to reflect the change in IP address. In this way, even though a domain name's IP address will change often, other users do not have to know the changed IP address in order to connect with the other computer.

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/dynamic_DNS.html

it depends solely on the isp. there are some for example that will forcefully change your ip every 24 hours or whatever they choose, simply to make sure that you do not have a static ip without paying for one. these are usually the ones that offer consumer accounts with dynamic ip and corporate ones with fixed ip.

What I read about Videotron (who you have) is that even if you are paying for a dynamic IP it usually remains untouched.  Much like mine with Cox Communications here in Phoenix.  My IP could change if they wanted to... but has remained the same since at least 2002.

Good luck with the shoutcast... fun stuff.

Even if you had an IP that changed a lot, you could always go through a static IP service like www.dynIP.com

Well actually i broadcast on shoutcast and jetcast, shoutcast is ports 8000 and 8001 and jetcast is ports 9000 and 9001, but there is so much stuff to choose from in my router i'm not exactly sure what to do. Does any of you have a Dlink di-704p Rev C router? Called my cable company and it is a dynamic ip, although the tech said it hardly ever changes.

:) Yeah my IP changed a couple of times with COX~HSI in Tucson but not for a long time I think its been about a year since the last time it changed. Im not sure but I think the last time it changed was due to me messing with it by renewing the IP addy and using the utility below but , Im not even sure if thats what caused it or not..... :)

8) Microwave

Yes Netmaster my router does have DDNS , although when i looked it up it asked me for domain name, user name and password :? . Not exactly sure how that works, but I still don't understand how that will help me out, according to my router, it can only do port fowarding with a static ip.

hey, microwave, ya know that button that says release? that releases the current IP # that is assigned to your computer, and gives it back to your ISP in order for them to "lease" it to someone else's computer. Get it? so, (if you are not running a webserver or such that knows your ip, like say you are runnig www.microwave.com off your pc, and you have it set to come from xx.xxx.xxx.xx, don't do this!!!), open up that utility (i think it's winipcfg?) and push that button that says "release all". wait till it shows 00.000.000.00 or such and click "renew all". that will "give back" the old IP # that was currently assigned to your pc, and get a new one! Your internet should still work, tell me if you have any problems, ok? just as long as you are not running a webserver that won't automatically update the DNS when your ip c. ;)

hope that helps someone!

indestructable