Question with dual modems

lippydippy

I have a cable INTERNET connection and just moved into this house with some friends. the router that they have is a cheap belkin but i cant get it to work with a static ip so i can host on warcraft 3. i have a linksys router which i then bought a ethernet splitter and when connected the connections are visable but nothing happens. was looking for some answers

lippy

So it is working or not?  The reason the belkin isnt working, my guess would be, that it isnt set up correctly..  I dont know if they come with a gaming mode built in or not.  However, if you were to move your IP into the DMZ you would have no problems hosting games or what not on your computer.

The other option would be to attach another router to the belkin..  If you were to do that you would need to take the Linksys and plug it into the Belkin.. You would want to run the ethernet cable from one of the switch ports on the Belkin to the WAN port on the Linksys.. There by making two different networks.. one for the linksys 192.168.1.1 and the Belkin will be 192.168.2.1..  You are going to want to assign a Static IP from the Belkin to the MAC address of the Linksys..  This way your IP address for the WAN will never change making it possible to place one IP address into the DMZ and never have to worry about it again.

BTW welcome to the forum!