Google gears up for a free-phone challenge to BT

organ_shifter

Looks like Google plans to increase their $2.1 billion empire. Not known for failure, these brothers will more than likely revolutionize VOIP. :D

I remember when several internet phone services were free like, (Dialpad.com & IconnectHere). Even though most of us didn't need internet phone service, we would use it just because it was free, and it was an interesting concept desperate to go main stream. Although free service is not as common as it was a few years back, you can still get free trial accounts with certain companies.

excerpt taken from article...

GOOGLE revolutionised the internet. Now it is hoping to do the same with our phones.

The company behind the US-based internet search engine looks set to launch a free telephone service that links users via a broadband internet connection using a headset and home computer.

Although Google is reluctant to talk about its plans, the logical use of such a network would be to help to support a new telephone service. The company would buy capacity cheaply, by taking up slack capacity left behind when the internet bubble collapsed in 2001.

Around the world, thousands of miles of fibre-optic cable remain unused because the amount of speculative development vastly exceeded demand. Such capacity would be available at rock-bottom prices today.

Read the full article on Google's phone service here: Google's Next Venture

All:

I use Voip  Now...  It works quite well.  I think the only problem with Googles approach is that they want to use the computer as a part of the interface.  Bad idea,  WE geeks on a site like this might use it that way but most won't. 

My wife didn't want Viop until I told her she was already using it.  :haha:  I set it up so that the 2 lines are connected to the base station and we have wireless phones around the house.  Works great....