what is the best pop-up blocker

JH2688

im using IE7. but i think i dl something with adware or gone to a website that gave me it. and now i get pop-ups. now im just looking for something to help stop them. but most things i find you have to pay for the full version.

now if i switch to firefox would that stop the pop-ups. Ive tried firefox before and i just didnt like it, because you have to dl add-ons.

i spoke to soon now im getting pop-ups again. its mostly CID or adult friend finder. if i cant get rid of these soon im thinking about just reformatting my hard drive. Everything i got on my comp i can get back easy enough.

The problem is most likely not with your browswer, but with spyware. Pop up blockers do not block pop ups that are not associated with a browser (or at least most of em). Your best bet would be to download an antispyware program to search and get rid it of this software. I uses Windows Defender and it works wonders for me. After the original install, you don't really have to do anything else, it does it's thing automatically. Heres the link.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

I agree that if its adult material, it is highly likely to be malware. Windows Defender + Spybot + Ad-Aware will have 99% chances to stop the problem. Don't reformat, that would be a loss of time. If you can't find those programs of have problems with them, post, we will help you.

Edit: A question for everyone: Do you think it would be worth it scrapping Spybot and AdAware and keep Windows Defender only? Safety-wise and ressource-wise?

i got windows live onecare. i cant get windows defender because i have onecare. i didnt find anything with it.

I also got the spybot that found a few things but it didnt fix the problem. you guys got anything else i could try.

I use Comodo personal firewall / AVG anti-virus / AVG anti spyware / Spybot / Spyware Blaster. All of these programs are free. The best way to beat this problem is to watch where you surf. :angel: Or put linux on one of your computers.

Do you only get pop-ups when you browse the internet?

I had quite a problem with them a while ago, but spybot took care of them. It might help you too, cause IE7 shouldn't have popups I believe.

http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

spybot + adaware work the best =]] for removing spyware

i would look into

http://www.testmy.net/t-17351

discussion about ad aware programs

i found ad-aware and spy bot the best ones

I need to slow down and look at what I am reading :uglystupid2: I find it real easy  to use .Just download and it is ready to go.I did not change anything from the default setting. As for how good it is nothing got pass it yet, but I do watch where I surf.

Hi Buntz , how do you find Comodo firewall I am using the old Sygate one ,

and need to be able to recommend a good free easy to use firewall to friends  

Sorry |Buntz and thanks Just , I guess the Englsh/Ameruican fell apart there ,

yes I was asking is it easy to use for a novice /newbie , as my group that I suport are a bit basic , I have only just got them off of Norton and on to Grisofts AVG , so the firewall must be easy to use ,

lol thanks Buntz , lol  this 4730 miles sucks at times , (delay )

Thanks for the info,I will give it a try , on my spare puter , as the old Sygate has been discon. and now owned by Norton ,Sygatet works well enough for me though , and  I am care full where I surf also ,

but for my frebie  group the world wide web is their oyster . as we say in the UK,

I think it is easy to use. Like a lot of other firewall your have to give permission for firefox or IE or any other program to enter the internet,but if you check the [remember my answer for  this application box ] you only have to do it once.The only problem I every had with this firewall is with gaming. Some game will not let you out of the game to give it permission to enter the internet. I usually just shut it off before I start playing those game.