what is the best pop-up blocker

JH2688

I appreciate the help guys.

I went to that popup tester site and there is no pop ups when i do that. Theres not much i can tell you guys becuase it just happens randomly. Its not that big of a problem because it doesnt happen all the time.

how do i do a screen shot? maybe that might help.

I personally like Microsoft's 'Windows Defender' teamed with IE7.  It blocks about 99.8% of the popups on all my computers... every now and then one gets through but that will happen with any of those programs.  Windows Defender isn't a dedicated popup blocker but it does do that also, along with it's main goal of keeping your computer free of spyware, adware and other threats (if you don't already know it's the final version of the old Microsoft Antispyware... it's just a better and quieter version, meaning it doesn't bug you as much with questions).

You can get Windows Defender at Microsoft's website a direct link is at >> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx (there is a download link on that page... you may want to read more about it on that page also).  Note (pirates beware...arrrgh!): You must have a geniune copy of Windows.

And as I said, it works best when you team it up with IE7 (Internet Explorer 7).  You can of course also get this at Microsoft's website and read more about it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/ie/getitnow.mspx -- again, as with most downloads from Micosoft these days you must have a genuine copy of windows or at least a pirated copy that authenticates (I have seen one before, hehe).

Just download both of those and use a good antivirus program and you'll be good to go, your computer will run like mine and have nearly NO popups and problems (although I'm using Vista now but before Vista I had it setup with XP and for years I never had any problems... and since Vista it's been more of the same, only difference is that I haven't found a good antivirus program but I'll have one very soon.  :)

nJOY!

-D

Oh! What programs do you have running? If you are using something like limewire or any p2p software, they usually create popups. Therefore, testing with an antispyware won't do anything. I know I used to use a P2P program called Blubster, and every once in a while I would get popups. It didn't take me long to figure out that it was the cause of the problem, as every time i would go to download a song, i would get a popup. Anyways... list some of the programs you have running.

only difference is that I haven't found a good antivirus program but I'll have one very soon.  :)

Cable, use avast antivirus. It is runs great on vista, and everytime i go look for a program crack(lol), i end up getting a popup warning saying it had detected a virus. It works great! I had AVG on XP before i upgraded, but it seems to have compatability issues, so i switched. If ur interested..

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

JH2688:  Looks like you have caught a bug, malware from your

p2p programs.  Also you are likely to someday get your heinie

in trouble downloading songs unless you happen to be paying

for them.

Just some friendly advice.  NOMB actually.  :shocked: :shocked:

i downloaded "malware bot" and that found a lot of stuff that i think might be the cuase of my problems but you have to buy the full version to delete the files. Do you guys know of any other malware remover that will delete the files for free.

one of the files was limewire so ill delete limewire to see if that will help. another one was zillabar and wildtangent. If you guys know anything about these let me know.

I think i found the problem. there was a program that i found under the add/remove program. I deleted it and i havent had a pop up yet. It been a couple days so i think it worked. But I think i still have some kind of spyware. But atleast the popups are gone.