Why is my wireless so much slower than my ethernet when im next to my router?

Guest Kilroy44

Guest Kilroy44

Ok guys, I know usually wifi will never be as fast as a wired connection but im kind of confused. I have comcast 8mbps package. Which I usually get 8mbps on my wired computers. But when I use a laptop on wifi 802.11g with my wireless router Linksys WRT54GS I always max out at 2.3 mbps. Regardless of what channel I use or if I'm 6 inches away from the access point. So can anyone help me figure out why my speed isn't closer to my wired connection? Also my nearest neighbor is like .25 miles away so that shouldn't be a problem. Help would be much appreciated, because I'm really frustrated with this.

thanks

Guest Kilroy44

do you think the stock firmware limits the wireless speed to 2 mbps? Im just curious if there is way to speed it up closer to the ethernet speed w/o changing firmware?

do you think the stock firmware limits the wireless speed to 2 Mbps? Im just curious if there is way to speed it up closer to the ethernet speed w/o changing firmware?

wow thats got to suck, what kind of a router do you have and also how many computers do you have hooked up to your network or if you have more then one wireless laptop that will slow you down some, do you have a b card or a g card??

• 2 weeks later...

sounds like you have some restrictions going on, make sure you router is up high and also away from power cables and magnets,  Check for updates for the router and update the firmware.  Im more of a Dlink fan.

I have the Dlink Gamers Lounge 4300-DGL Wireless Router,  Its a sweet router plenty of customizations.