Video Card hardware/driver crashes

In December, I got a new rig for my family which included a Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS video card built by Asus. I installed vista on the machine, and I found that the video driver frequently crashes, then either recuperates after a few seconds or does not. I've tried about every driver available out there, from nvidia, from Asus and from custom sites, and there is not one that has not crashed more than once. Sometimes the screen freezes, sometimes the pixels get all messed up, sometimes the system slows down to a point where I have to wait 10 seconds to see my mouse move. It doesn't happen too often, but its still a prick. I was wondering if it could be a hardware problem, or if it had to be the driver. As I have stated before, I went through about 4 or 5 different drivers, so I'm starting to wonder if it could be the card that's defective. I might still be able to send it back under warranty. Give me some insight on this.

I havent tried another card, its the only one I have that's pci-e. And when I install a new one, I don't uninstall the older one, thought it was done automaticaly, and the uninstall option says "advanced users only" (and I don't consider myself an advanced user  :smiley:)

i think u should uninstall the old driver, go to control panel then Programs something because I dont remember how it is on vista :P  and check for nvidia display drivers or something along those lines, I dont remember the name exactly. Delete them, then reboot ur pc and install the new ones and we hope u dont have any more troubles :P

This program is made for getting rid of the old drivers.  I have had problems with old nvidia drivers being left over.  Uninstall the drivers, run this(selecting to delete the old driver files), reboot into safe mode, run it again. If files are found,  delete them, and reboot once more into safe mode, and install your video drivers.  If you don't find driver files when you scan the first time in safe mode, you can just install the drivers.

Just check the option for "nvidia" drivers.

Edit: not sure about vista now that I think about it....

Edit on the Edit: I changed the file to the one for vista....

It's strange to hear an NVidia card that isn't compatible with several drivers. They usually have a "one driver fits all" type of thing. Usually ATi is the worst and has the video card issues. Too many versions, beta's, etc...etc...

You could just have one of those bad apples of the bunch. I'm surprised if you found a driver that works. Best of luck.

Do you have a soundcard installed by chance?

I had a problem with an x-fi card, where I had to move it down a pci slot, or everytime I installed my video card drivers the pc got all funky..Conflict I suppose..Never found out why, just know as soon as I moved the soundcard to a different pci slot, it worked fine.

If they will take it, RMA the mofo, and see if it continues to happen.

I might get my card for my next box early, and test it in that computer to make sure that its the card that's the problem. Then again, I would not get as good of a deal for the card tho if I buy it early (not like I'm gonna get a real high end one). I think that the sound card is integrated, but I'l check inside when I get a chance.