SuSE video problem

starship_troopers

its on my new pc: amd athlon 64 2.4ghz, 2gigs of ddr2800 ram, EVGA geforce 7950GT, 120gb western digital harddrive, biostar tforce 550 mobo, xp pro, and cd drive is a liteon dvd burner.

when i try to install it it asks which kernel do i want and it doesnt matter which one i pick it just freezes right after that.  :?

but i dont want to take this thread and turn it into a help one for me unless you can answer easily lol since its your thread to begin with  :smile2:

I am running.. 2.6.18.8.. that is after downloading the latest kernel after the machine has been up..  Have you tried the 64bit version?  the x86 version DOES NOT support the athlon 64 CPU..

lol, keep the thing going, this could be a cache of information :)

Thanks Swimmer      *listens attentively *

Yeah I made this..  It is important enough...

I am running.. 2.6.18.8.. that is after downloading the latest kernel after the machine has been up..  Have you tried the 64bit version?  the x86 version DOES NOT support the athlon 64 CPU..

Yeah I made this..  It is important enough...

:oops: oops, i downloaded the x86 because i read it supported amd's so my fault. i'll post the link next so i know i'm downloading the right one

edit- so i should download the x86-64 right?  here is what it says on opensuse.org   

x86-64

This architecture supports the following processors:

* AMD Opteron, Athlon 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2, Sempron 64, Turion 64

* Intel Xeon, Xeon MP, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Pentium D, Core 2 Duo

* Processors based on AMD's AMD64 & Intel's EM64T (Intel's implementation of AMD64)

I am a huge fan of KDE... The default installation includes XGL and Compiz.  I am currently running KDE with XGL.  It run awesome!  However, get XGL up first and then run the updates.  Otherwise I have had problems when I try and shutdown the machine from KDE X-Windows exits but then just puts me to a command line login. 

How to get XGL up and running on 10.2

http://en.opensuse.org/Using_Xgl_on_SUSE_Linux#Enabling_Xgl.2FCompiz_with_default_plugins_only

If you have no idea what we are talking about..

cool thnx, but one noob question ...whats the difference between kde and gnome

edit-tomorrow or the next day i'm going to order a new 80gig sata 3gb/s harddrive to dual boot suse on with my current 120gb sata 3gb/s xp pro harddrive, so untill then i will take any advice on suse or linux or dual booting in general  :lol:

thanks, i'm downloading now, and i'll install with the kde kernel and get everything up and running (hopefully smoothly) and i'll post up some shots if i get it working, but right nwo i gotta wait till my order gets processed and shipped from newegg since my walmart sucks and has no SATA harddrives and i'm using my only ata100 ide slot for 2 dvd drives...