LCD HDTV Price Drop??

Nos7667

Our old Standard TV is about to die so we have been looking at HDTV's, Until about a week ago we thought they were very expensive, Until last night. I seen a 42" LCD HDTV at bestbuy for get this. $999, I have never seen such a deal, They also have a 32" for $799.

So did the prices actually drop? or is it just sales?

Our old Standard TV is about to die so we have been looking at HDTV's, Until about a week ago we thought they were very expensive, Until last night. I seen a 42" LCD HDTV at bestbuy for get this. $999, I have never seen such a deal, They also have a 32" for $799.

So did the prices actually drop? or is it just sales?

its been like that for awhile. LCD's and plasmas prices drop very slow. And real high end ones only drop when an even better one comes out.

Rear projection has had major price dropes in the last few months. But stay away from them.

LCDs are good but they can smear when playing fast games on them.  just remember you the motto " you get for what you pay"  stay away from plasmas they are better for quality then LCDs but plasmas are really easy to have a burned in image.

If you going to get an LCD make sure you look at the resolution and of course the higher the better. 

LCDs are good but they can smear when playing fast games on them.  just remember you the motto " you get for what you pay"  stay away from plasmas they are better for quality then LCDs but plasmas are really easy to have a burned in image.

If you going to get an LCD make sure you look at the resolution and of course the higher the better. 

Not any more. Plasmas have gotten much better. There is no more burn in. We leave the same image up on ours that we install for months at a time with out turning them off and never get any burn in. 3 years ago yes not any more.

on LCD's ghosting is just about gone on all. Most displays are now 2-4ms g2g and 3-5ms g2b2g and you can't see it at all. Hitachi and Samsung actually have a 0ms display.

When you choose between plasma and LCD it should only be because of size. higher then 42in go plasma, 42in and below go LCD.

btw from what i have seen i recommend Samsung LCD's

they look the best to my eyes

When you choose between plasma and LCD it should only be because of size. higher then 42in go plasma, 42in and below go LCD.

didnt know this

thanks

btw from what i have seen i recommend Samsung LCD's

they look the best to my eyes

didnt know this

thanks

the reason is no one makes small plasmas, and they can't get the resolution when they are that small. LCD gets very expensive when you go big. A 50in LCD will be anyware from $500 - $2000 more then a 50in plasma and it will look just about the same.

the reason is no one makes small plasmas, and they can't get the resolution when they are that small. LCD gets very expensive when you go big. A 50in LCD will be anyware from $500 - $2000 more then a 50in plasma and it will look just about the same.

dam lewis

ur  such a guru

Does it have a tuner in it ,if not and you use it as a TV you will need to get a box from the cable company or buy one from a store  before you can use it .

Good point. if you have regular cable tv then you will need one with a NTSC/ATSC tuner. if you want to go HD your going to have to get a HD tuner no matter what.

I know that the westinghouse  that I was looking at a couple of months ago were monitors not TV. They did not have any NTSC/ATSC tuner in them. If I remember right the tuner box will cost you around $200.00 dollars if you buy one.

Here are the top LCD brans IMO: Samsung, Panasonic, Sharp(Make sure it is an Aquos)

The picture of them are absolutely outstanding. I usually lean toward Samsung although they are all about the same. I can vouch that you wont see any ghosting on the LCD's anymore. I game on mine all the time and I have never seen a single ghosting. Plasmas get a little better picture than LCD's(Darker Blacks mainly) they are still somewhat susceptible to burn-in. If you break them in properly though the burn-in should not be an issue. Although it is noteworthy that an LCD uses less electricity and has a longer life span than the Plasmas. The rear projections get a great picture as well. The only downside to them is you haft to change out the bulb every 3-5 years. Also they are much more bulky. As far as the lower end brand in LCD's go I would stick with Vizio, Westinghouse, and Olevia. I have heard good reviews on those three. More on Vizio and Westinghouse than Olevia.

Also as dlewis stated I believe there is a new technology coming out this year. Odds are it will be pretty pricy for a while though. It could cause a drop in price in the other technologys though.

Not any more. Plasmas have gotten much better. There is no more burn in. We leave the same image up on ours that we install for months at a time with out turning them off and never get any burn in. 3 years ago yes not any more.

on LCD's ghosting is just about gone on all. Most displays are now 2-4ms g2g and 3-5ms g2b2g and you can't see it at all. Hitachi and Samsung actually have a 0ms display.

I like rear projection HDTVs actually they look awsome i know my brother has one and so does my sister in theater room in there house.    my brother buys nothing but the best.  hell his wiring for his theater system cost over 10,000 dollars.  his surround sound is powered by oknyo and his speakers are of course nothing but the best Bose.  7.1 surround alot better then the movie theaters from what i have noticed.

I like rear projection HDTVs actually they look awsome i know my brother has one and so does my sister in theater room in there house.    my brother buys nothing but the best.  hell his wiring for his theater system cost over 10,000 dollars.  his surround sound is powered by oknyo and his speakers are of course nothing but the best Bose.  7.1 surround alot better then the movie theaters from what i have noticed.

The biggest problem with rear projections is the bulb lasts 2000 hrs Max and most of the time its around 1500 hrs, at around 500-800hrs it goes to 1/2 brightness, so now your crappy looking picture looks even more crappy, and then you gotta pay $250-$350 for a new bulb. And good luck if you can find one if your TV is more then 2 years old. It has been a nightmear trying to find these for people if the TV is more then 2 years old, espically on sony TV's

The next biggest problem with rear projection is your taking a rectangle screen and shooting it with a round bulb. Now any one that has ever shot a flash light on a wall knows that its the brightest in the center and gets darker as you go out from center. Well the same thing happens in a rear projection tv, you get edges that are quite a bit darker then the center, epically the corners. It makes for a very ugly image. We will never use a rear projection in any of our theaters because of this problem.

let me guess he bought monster cables, No offense or anything but if you pay $10,000 on wiring your fucken nuts. We wire up 1/2 million dollar theaters for less then 1/2 that, and these rooms are bigger then most people houses.

I wont even comment on putting bose in a home theater. But were i come from thats a big no, no.

eek...Bose? What I have heard about them is they are WAY overpriced. You can get better quality of about 1/2 to a 1/4 of the price. www.avsforum.com has lots of post on this that goes into detail why you would not want to use Bose.

Edit: Looks like dlewis beat me to it lol.

If you get a 720p plasma, make sure the resolution is 1366X768, NOT the 1024X768.  The 1024 is just stretched and is not as clear or sharp as 1366X768.  

Plasma is also better for contrast ratio.  LCD is catching up quickly though.  Rear projection is garbage, and is a dieing breed.  But, Rear projection IS better for standard definition signals.  However, the cons overwhelm the pros.

If you have a Sams Club membership, I would recommend buying from there, as you will pay a LOT less for the warranty, and its pretty much no questions asked.

Westinghouse IS a good brand, IF you get the right one.  The have very sharp bright screens, and are priced fantastically.  Sams club had a 26" with 2HDMI and 1DVI + 1VGA + 2Component plugs.  It also had a front slot loading up-converting DVD player built in, with HD tuner all for $526.00 bucks!

What about the new DLPs with the LED as a bulb instead of a bulb....

Either way, its still just a GIANT, soft resolution projector.

and they trip me out the way they advertise DLP as though it was something new.  Its been around for over a decade....

does anyone know if "Olevia" is a good brand?

Havn't heard much about them, Maybe someone else has.

As far as bose speakers goes, They are way overpriced. But I do like there Bookshelf speakers, But the subwoofers bose makes are total garbage, I could setup a car stereo sub that would sound much much better.

What about the new DLPs with the LED as a bulb instead of a bulb....

they are better because the will last alot longer. But they are about 1/2 as bright. and the corner problem that i said above is more viable on a LED rear projection. And alot of people are having problems with them because they are new.