LCD HDTV Price Drop??

Nos7667

that doesnt really work too well.

OLED is the way too go Twice the res. of the current stuff.  :grin:

Last I heard on OLED(might have changed) was that they were unable to make them last long enough. Of course they may have fixed that problem by now. If you have any updates I would love to hear em. [nerdly]

Last I heard on OLED(might have changed) was that they were unable to make them last long enough. Of course they may have fixed that problem by now. If you have any updates I would love to hear em. [nerdly]

OLED will last forever. Got a IPOD, it has a OLED screen.

the problem was they couldn't make them big enough.

But that is fixed, a Hitachi/samsung guy showed is a 50in OLED SED TV and it was fucken beautiful. WQXGA display  :grin: (in case you don't know thats 2560

Either way, its still just a GIANT, soft resolution projector.

and they trip me out the way they advertise DLP as though it was something new.  Its been around for over a decade....

Robert Herring on DL.TV or used to be on TechTV if anybody has ever kept up with technology would know about the screensavers untill G4 bought out Techtv but anyway Robert is an expert when it comes to High Def TV's and he says that DLP's are great.  As a consumer, you don't really care if your television has DLP, LCD, or LCOS inside the box. What you care about is how the picture looks. And they do look different. You will do yourself a favor if you resist the temptation to prejudge which technology is better, as conventional wisdom is often wrong. Not only that, but the truth changes rapidly in this industry. What is the "best" today is old and antiquated tomorrow.

Robert Herring on DL.TV or used to be on TechTV if anybody has ever kept up with technology would know about the screensavers untill G4 bought out Techtv but anyway Robert is an expert when it comes to High Def TV's and he says that DLP's are great.  As a consumer, you don't really care if your television has DLP, LCD, or LCOS inside the box. What you care about is how the picture looks. And they do look different. You will do yourself a favor if you resist the temptation to prejudge which technology is better, as conventional wisdom is often wrong. Not only that, but the truth changes rapidly in this industry. What is the "best" today is old and antiquated tomorrow.

Semi-True

As an EDUCATED consumer, I DO care whats inside.  Its not always about the quality of the picture, although it plays a big part.  There are other things to take into effect when buying a new TV. 

Space:  LCD takes up the least (usually)

Power Consumption: (LCD uses the least I think)

Sound: Typically, a rear projection TV has the best built in sound.

Number of ports

Burn-in

Response time

and lots of other things.

But I do see your point, to the dumb consumer, its what has the best picture.

Each technology has its strengths and weaknesses, so whether or not one is better than the other is subjective.

On another note: G4 absolutely BLOWS compared to what TechTV used to be....

Semi-True

As an EDUCATED consumer, I DO care whats inside.  Its not always about the quality of the picture, although it plays a big part.  There are other things to take into effect when buying a new TV. 

Space:  LCD takes up the least (usually)

Power Consumption: (LCD uses the least I think)

Sound: Typically, a rear projection TV has the best built in sound.

Number of ports

Burn-in

Response time

and lots of other things.

But I do see your point, to the dumb consumer, its what has the best picture.

Each technology has its strengths and weaknesses, so whether or not one is better than the other is subjective.

yeah i do agree with you there as far as space and what your looking for in hookups and all but about the G4 yeah it does BLOW.  I still watch Patrick Norton and Robert Herring on dl.tv there on twice a week so thats cool i just download the 200mb file there shows run about 40min they talk about things just like the screensavers did.

of course you can watch them live at 3pm eastern or 2pm central time.

OLED will last forever. Got a IPOD, it has a OLED screen.

the problem was they couldn't make them big enough.

But that is fixed, a Hitachi/samsung guy showed is a 50in OLED SED TV and it was fucken beautiful. WQXGA display  :grin: (in case you don't know thats 2560

Yeah, Were gonna get the Comcast HD Cable box w/ the DVR.

Hope you have better luck than I did. Took Comcast 6 try to get my digital cable to work.

First try- tech come out check line,said I need a new line from box on side of Apt. building low signal to TV.

Second try -Private contractor come out said I do not need a new line.Play with something in outside box Works for about 3 hours.

Third try nobody show ups.No record of my appointment.

Forth try-Another tech come out check everything,Said I need a new line Low signal.

Fifth try -It snow that day Private contractor could not put new line in ground :sad:

Sixth try-Findly got new line in Digital cable  works now.

Make sure they check all of your connection ends,It make a big different in the picture when you have digital cable. I don't even have a HD box. :sad:

The best picture I get is from a $5.99 pair of rabbit ears. Local station have over the air  HD.

Yeah buntz we have already had all that stuff checked out.

About a week ago actually, We had to have comcast come out here to check our current service because of issues, it was actually  our TV (My parents didnt beleive me in the first place!!) So thats why I am looking at new TV's. But anyways we got the newest cable box now. Its so small, Its about the size of an SB5100 SurfBoard modem :D.

lol  I have a HD box, nothing like pausing live tv, it works great never had a problem with it, had the hd box for over a year now.  it has a 120gig hd in it, nothing like recording movies or what ever you want or your favorite epsode so you dont miss it..  The best i like is recording your favorite football or nascar race and then back back after work and watch it and fast forward through all the comercials :-)

Yeah DVR rocks!!

You hit the nail on the head, TechTV used to be my favorite station, Although I am a Console/PC Gamer I barely ever watch TechTV now.

On another note: Attack of the Show is horrible compared to what Screensavers was.

Yeah buntz we have already had all that stuff checked out.

About a week ago actually, We had to have Comcast come out here to check our current service because of issues, it was actually   our TV (My parents didnt beleive me in the first place!!) So thats why I am looking at new TV's. But anyways we got the newest cable box now. Its so small, Its about the size of an SB5100 SurfBoard modem :D.

Parents???? you live at home????  boy i remember those good old days had all kinds of money then lol

how many people on here still live with there parents??

I remembering that size was an issue to. But back in the day that I heard about it the life span was an issue. Looks like they have fixed that. Any info on when they will hit the market?

Edit: I second ghost's comments. Wal-Mart is not a very good place to buy a TV.

they will be out the end of this year.

And they shouldnt cost that much when compaired to a LCD or Plasma because they are really cheap to make.

I found this, might buy it if it worth it, let me know since this would be my first HDTV

Consider the widescreen Samsung LCD HDTV if you seek the highest quality combined with the highest value. Its 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio and technology deliver a crisp picture in deep color. Its slim black frame around the 27" screen incorporates built-in bottom speakers that deliver SRS TruSurround XT. Watch from nearly anywhere in the room with the 170 degree horizontal and vertical viewing angles, and it"s right size for bedrooms or kids' playrooms.

Key Features & Benefits:

27-inch widescreen, high-definition liquid crystal display

Offers 1366 x 768 resolution and an ultra-high contrast ratio of 3000:1 for superb picture quality at 720p or 1080i 

Built-in digital ATSC and analog NTSC tuners

Enjoy conventional analog broadcasts as well as digital broadcasts, including HDTV programs, where available

HDMI and other video connections

Provide the flexibility to use composite, S-Video, and VGA inputs to connect DVD players, camcorders, game consoles and computers

Audio capabilities

Take advantage of two built-in stereo speakers, surround-sound effect and digital audio output (optical) 

I ended up buying a 40"  Samsung ( LN-S4051D)  from Circuit City. So far I have no problems ( only had it for two months :wink:)  and the picture look great. My next step is going to get the HD box,there is not much HD programs you can get on your local over the air HD.