Cant install Video card

Blunted 2

i installed a ATI x1650 pro on my pc and the drivers wont install and i cant figure out why.  i get an error to try and install standard vga drivers before trying to install the ati drivers whatever that means.  i updated the bios and the chipset and it still doesnt work and i get the same error.  as far as i know everything on my system can run the card and this happened on 2 computers.

anyone have any idea's ?

i did that as well as a full OS reinstall with updated bios and i tried the chipset but it could have been the wrong one.  maybe a config in the bios ? 

anything else you need to know Organ?

2.8 Ghz pentium 4 with HT 800 FSB ( Dell 400sc Server )

Type : Intel Pentium 4

Internal Specification : Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Codename : Northwood

1280 mb ram pc 3200

200 gig sata hard drive 7200 rpm

80 gig ide hard drive 5200 rpm

cd/dvd burner

onboard audio

onboard intel gigabit ethernet

linksys gigabit nic

linksys 100 mb nic

floppy drive

i dont know about the power supply but it already has a 256 ( 8X AGP )card in it and has ran fine.

Chipset : Intel i875PE

Bios

Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation

Version : A10

Date : 27 February 2006

Address : 0xF000 on 512 KB

Copyright : Copyright © 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies Ltd.

DMI Version : 2.3

Bus Information :

Number of AGP connectors : 1

AGP Bus :

Device : 82875P,E7210 Memory Controller Hub

Version : 3.0

AGP enabled : Yes

Mode AGP3 : Yes  -  Enabled

4GB : No

FW Transfer : Yes  -  Enabled

SideBand : Yes  -  Enabled

Command Queue : 1  (max. 32)

Transfert Rate supported : 8x

Transfert Rate : 8x

AGP Bus :

Device : GeForce FX 5700LE [NV36.3]

Version : 3.0

AGP enabled : Yes

Mode AGP3 : Yes  -  Enabled

4GB : No

FW Transfer : Yes  -  Enabled

SideBand : Yes  -  Enabled

Command Queue : 32  (max. 32)

Transfert Rate supported : 8x

Transfert Rate : 8x

Bus Information :

Device : GeForce FX 5700LE [NV36.3]

no i'm using that new one that was posted here which is PC WIZARD 2007

General Information :

Product : PowerEdge 400SC

Version : Unspecified

Serial Number : 6PY9L51

Unique ID : 44454C4C-50001059-8039B6C0-4F4C3531

Start mode : Power Switch

OEM Information :

OEM #1 : www.dell.com

General Information :

Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corp.

Product : 0T2408

Serial Number : ..CN4811147F00X2.

Support MP : Yes, 1 CPU(s)

Version MPS : 1.4

Chassis Information :

Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation

Type : Mini Tower

Serial Number : 6PY9L51

Asset : Unspecified

Sensor Information :

Monitoring Chip : Analog Devices ADT7463

On-Board Device Information :

Device : Intel Pro 1000 MT Network Connection  (Ethernet)

Device : AC'97 Audio Controller  (Sound)

Slots Information :

Slot PCI : Available (32-bit) 5.0v, 3.3v

Slot AGP 8X : In Use (32-bit) 3.3v

External Connectors :

Parallel PS/2 : DB25 female

Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male

Serial 16550A Compatible : DB-9 male

Keyboard : PS/2

Mouse : PS/2

USB : Access Bus (USB)

Network : RJ-45

Audio : Mini-jack (headphones)

Internal Connectors :

PARALLEL :

SERIAL1 :

SERIAL2 :

KYBD :

MOUSE :

USB1 :

USB2 :

USB3 :

USB4 :

USB5 :

USB6 :

USB7 :

USB8 :

ENET :

MIC :

LINE-OUT :

LINE-IN :

HP-OUT :

EDITED MORE

Q: Is there a better diagram of the motherboard in the 400SC available?

A: Maybe. As far as I can tell, this motherboard is striking similar to that used in all of it's other 875P systems (Dimension XPS, 8300, Precision 360). The Precision 360 has a nice explanation of the motherboard layout here.

http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws360/en/ug/dabout.htm#1109228

my case open like that and has the same connectors in the back and same drives in front minus the extra 2 usb ports and audio in front.

I don't think the bios settings will help as your Nvidia AGP card is working fine at 8x already. Nothing would have to be changed to switch to a new card. Well, possibly the AGP Aperture Size if you're going from 128MB of GDDR SDRAM to 512MB, but that wouldn't affect installing a new card as it's a performance setting.

The X1650Pro was the first card you tried on the fresh install of Windows correct?

Also, do you have all of your Windows updates? Although I've only received the vga error when my chipset drivers were not installed, .Net Framwork is required for installing AMD/ATI's Catalyst Control Center.

I don't think the bios settings will help as your Nvidia AGP card is working fine at 8x already. Nothing would have to be changed to switch to a new card. Well, possibly the AGP Aperture Size if you're going from 128MB of GDDR SDRAM to 512MB, but that wouldn't affect installing a new card as it's a performance setting.

The X1650Pro was the first card you tried on the fresh install of Windows correct?

Also, do you have all of your Windows updates? Although I've only received the vga error when my chipset drivers were not installed, .Net Framwork is required for installing AMD/ATI's Catalyst Control Center.

yes it was the first card to be installed in the new OS and i dont do windows updates.  i have net framework 3.0.  the problem i get is when trying to install the drivers it wont install them and i get an error saying i should try to use a standard vga driver before installing the ATI ones.  also in the bios the agp aperture is set to 256 mb and cant go higher if that means anything

First of all, AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video card's on-board memory is running low. That means it will usually not impact your gaming performance because developers are trying hard to not exceed the on-board memory limits.
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/43

also scroll down to graphics subsystem on the middle of this page:

http://techarp.com/freebog.aspx

Guest kamil234

try unistalling old driver, switching to onboard graphics than installing the driver for the x1650..i never had this problem with my 8800 i just put it in and installed the driver.

try unistalling old driver, switching to onboard graphics than installing the driver for the x1650..i never had this problem with my 8800 i just put it in and installed the driver.

ati's drivers always seem harder than nvidia to install and my friends had the same problems.  i'm just gonna return it and get a different card.  maybe the 7600 GS 512 mb

even ati support couldnt help me and i wonder why ati seems to have driver problems more than nvidia.  every time i cant install a ati card i tried an nvidia card instead and then it works all of a sudden for the nvidia card but not the ati.  this is the 3rd ati card i have had problems with and my friends also had similar problems as me but nvidia doesnt seem to be as bad. 

i guess nvidia says it all !!!  the way games are meant to be played  :grin2:  I'M NEVER GETTING AN ATI EVER AGAIN  :angry:

even ati support couldnt help me and i wonder why ati seems to have driver problems more than nvidia.  every time i cant install a ati card i tried an nvidia card instead and then it works all of a sudden for the nvidia card but not the ati.  this is the 3rd ati card i have had problems with and my friends also had similar problems as me but nvidia doesnt seem to be as bad. 

i guess nvidia says it all !!!  the way games are meant to be played  :grin2:  I'M NEVER GETTING AN ATI EVER AGAIN  :angry:

u got that right  :cool: