Think windows vista is a POS? Your not alone.

Shug7272

http://news.com.com/Dell+brings+back+XP+on+home+systems/2100-1046_3-6177619.html?tag=nefd.lede

I know this isnt huge news but it is dead around here. Cmon guys, get some posts going.  :kiss:

So what do you think of the story? I think MS might have slipped up a bit with Vista, especially considering the surge to Linux we have seen lately.

undecided:, all the folk with puters ain't planing to switch ,  my Xp pro don't crash , and does what I need from a puter , maybe in a few years on I may switch,

:lol: a company I work for from time to time , just switched from Win 95, 1 year back  :evil6:

I just wish I had the courage to switch to linux, 

While I kinda went of on a tanget abot vista in another thread I think it boils down to time will tell. Will vista be like windows 200 pro? Only out a short time before another major release?

I just think gates is way to worried about eye candy. He wants everyone to have more. Someone needs to remind him sometimes less is more. Put a os out there that dosen't require a major computer that your average user really has no need for. Put something out there that will improve computer stability not make it worse. Take the useful programs for vista, drop all the eye candy, and continue down that path. There are tons of free programs that will give you all the eye candy you could want or need.

I should say yes I have had and tried vista. Hated it so bad. I took it off my computer. Just think its such a rip off. 200 bucks just is not getting you much in useful programs.

Bought windows vista home basic, Easy to use, better program loading. To me vista = Big upgrade, then again I'm also running a Core2Duo. Think of an upgrade maybe to people who don't like the OS they have been so use too. XP had the same problems too people. Give it time, before you shut it out. [geek-small]

Just my two cents :wink2:

I want to upgrade to vista ultimate, but honestly I don't see it in my near future so Its on hold. Guess the answer is, a faster computer = the better performance out of Vista. I don't no what everyone's running but I get the same performance if not facer than XP Home, and my Internet speeds are still the same, and maxed out acrossed the board.

Interesting comments...  I personally will not run Vista any time soon.  There is too much extra crap involved in trying to do things..  The other reason why XP was so successful was that it was an actual improvement!  98 and the BSoD, Blue Screen of Death, was one hell of a nightmare!  XP took care of that, for the most part, and provided decent performance on existing hardware that was sold at the user level.

Vista on the other hand has required manufactures to increase the performance of their already budget based computer to be able maintain the requirements that Microsoft has in place regarding what OSes can be installed.  Personally I will be able to get a legal copy of Ultimate in May for about $40..  I will most likely buy it, just to have, but not install it..  XP is running fine..

One other thing to look at is XP 64 bit edition.. Remember all of the driver issues with the first A64s to come out?  It was actually faster to run 32 bit on the A64!!  It may take some to get Vista all worked out..

I want linux so bad but am so scared of it.  :uglystupid2:

It is not as scary as you might think... I will have a dual boot guide by May 11th.  You will be shocked at how much Linux can act like vista and at the same time out perform it.

you are not alone Bro .me too :idiot2:

i'm with you on that one shug

Good Im not the only puddy about it.

Interesting comments...  I personally will not run Vista any time soon.  There is too much extra crap involved in trying to do things..  The other reason why XP was so successful was that it was an actual improvement!  98 and the BSoD, Blue Screen of Death, was one hell of a nightmare!  XP took care of that, for the most part, and provided decent performance on existing hardware that was sold at the user level.

Vista on the other hand has required manufactures to increase the performance of their already budget based computer to be able maintain the requirements that Microsoft has in place regarding what OSes can be installed.  Personally I will be able to get a legal copy of Ultimate in May for about $40..  I will most likely buy it, just to have, but not install it..  XP is running fine..

One other thing to look at is XP 64 bit edition.. Remember all of the driver issues with the first A64s to come out?  It was actually faster to run 32 bit on the A64!!  It may take some to get Vista all worked out..

It is not as scary as you might think... I will have a dual boot guide by May 11th.  You will be shocked at how much Linux can act like vista and at the same time out perform it.

Thats great news Swimmer. I will do it.

i have vista ultimate and its fine. i dont see anything wrong with it, except annoying "are you sure you want to run this" popups lol

And thats my point. Its supposed to be more secure. Most will just hit yes anyway. There goes the security. If you want a secure system. Then knowledge is the key. That can be found free.

If you want a totally secure window inviroment? Then unplug from the internet. Place your computer in a box in a closet. No worries about security.

Hackers have pretty much declared war on microsoft again. There are already countless releases of vista one could download and use for free. The latest is the custom built vista that is perminatly activated. I don't condone it. But for the cost gates wants for vista, I don't blame them either.

To me Vista is 10 thousand times better than XP, really. I am very amazed by it. In fact, it has become my default OS, since I used Linux. And by the way, to those fearing Linux... lose the fear! =). First of all, to make it easier, buy a cheap HDD... something 10GBs big, external, internal, whatever... the cheapest thing you can find. Download Mandriva Linux, the easiest OS in my opinion (OpenSUSE coming close second... Ubuntu is a little harder, but the best I consider). Download them, they are free AND LEGAL. Install them on your new HDD... TADA!!

Or you can go the hard way, and repartition your current HDD... but you may lose information. Hopefully I will drag more people to the "Open Source Side" (though I find Vista quite impressive).

I didn't really like Vista at first. But today I bought a Toshiba Satellite Notebook with 2 GB Ram, 120 GB HDD, 1.6 Ghz Cetrino Duo Processor, with Bluetooth, and the Fingerprint scan login. It is amazing! I been working with Vista Premium Home and am getting use to it and I like it a lot.

Well I already said enough about Vista, i have the Business addition and actaully i get faster speeds with my wireless connection then i do my wired connection.  Dont even have to tweak anything to get Vista to smoke on the net, not like XP got to tweak and fine tune to get XP to smoke.  I average 16MB connection with my wireless and 14MB with XP. 

Do you see my point yet!!!  Its all about security IE7 in Vista has ramped up security.  most of you that dont use vista probably arent in business for fixing customers computers. 

XP's inerface looks like to much of a fisher price graphics.  Vista interface is more sleek and business like. 

Talk about eye candy, people who dont like eye candy better quit playing all those eye candy games then and also better complain about Macs interface. 

I just dont understand why people knock down microsoft so much, id like to see anyone here write the code and have billons of people use it and lets see how many holes and bugs people can find.  Does any one know how many lines of code is in vista??  Well theres over 50 million lines of code compared to XP with around 40 million, and linux has around 30 million lines of Code. 

I mean Look how many problems Firefox has had with Vista.  lol IE works great with Vista.  Firefox even took microsofts offer to help get the browser to work with IE.  Yet people still want to bash Microsoft but they all say Firebox is awsome they dont even care if Firefox has problems.  I browser and they still cant get it right not to mention Firebox being such a memory hog compared to IE.

If linux and Macs were so dam good they would have alot bigger share: 

http://www.wininsider.com/news/?2248

Windows now controls 97.46 percent of the global desktop operating system market, compared to just 1.43 percent for Apple Macintosh and 0.26 percent for Linux

And its on the rise. so whats happening looks like alot more peoople like windows then you think.  I rest my case!!

The problem with most is the cost of the os. Then you have issues with drivers. Gammers last I knew could not use it. You can download lynix, make it look,feel and act like vista without having to have a monster computer. The cost of doing this is 0 dollars.

Gates is putting it to computer users in a big way. 300 or 400 bucks for vista? Thats abit outlandish imho.

Everything vista has to offer can be done with 3rd party software. While lynix is not yet ready for your average user yet it gets closer and closer every day. Gates just took alot of popular 3rd party software, bundled into a os and shipped it out and is laughing all the way to the bank.

The problem with most is the cost of the os. Then you have issues with drivers. Gammers last I knew could not use it. You can download lynix, make it look,feel and act like vista without having to have a monster computer. The cost of doing this is 0 dollars.

Gates is putting it to computer users in a big way. 300 or 400 bucks for vista? Thats abit outlandish imho.

Everything vista has to offer can be done with 3rd party software. While lynix is not yet ready for your average user yet it gets closer and closer every day. Gates just took alot of popular 3rd party software, bundled into a os and shipped it out and is laughing all the way to the bank.

I only paid 149 for OEM it works just the same so why do people buy the retail. 

I think everyone needs to stop hating on Windows Vista,we shouldn't be hating on it like this. M$ always releases the first OS then releases their true nest gen OS in 2 or 3 years. We see this windows 3.0 in 1990 and 3.1 in 1992, windows 95 and 98, windows 2000 and XP, now its gonna happen with windows vista being the preliminary to the true next gen OS windows vista. So basically what i am saying is that we shouldn't expect much from Vista anyway and, MICROSOFT ISN'T STUPID THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!

Actually bryanlautt, your views are a little TOO biased, and I am not seeking to start a flame war here. First of all, the reason systems like Linux don't have a bigger part of share are various. First of all there are not many major programs designed from it, unlike Windows who has the backing of a multi billionaire company. Second, most computer distributors don't include Linux in their packages. When you look at servers though, you will find that Linux owns that market, destroying Windows Server. Linux is far more stable and is more efficient, so it's used in servers mostly. Third, Linux is not as easy to use as Windows, and though the community has been working on making it easier, there's a lot to do. There are many more, but I've listed some of the biggest reasons. Also, Mac is a low seller cuz... well... I don't know. The fact is that Windows is packaged with almost every consumer/retailer computer sold these days... and whoever says that's not a monopoly deserves a good punch =P.

Also, many people don't know what the hell is OEM, so they will never know they can get the same Vista OS without a $150 box and manual =P. Hopefully this will clear some points in this decade-old debate =).

Hi everyone

It has been a while since I posted on this site but the Windows Vista question is a good place to start again.

I suspect that M.S. has fixed many of the problems associated with Explorer that were identified with XP when they introduced the Vista platform, but I understand that this new system will not run many of the old programs that run well in XP. I know I have several expensive programs that I have purchased over the past several years that are designed for the NT platform that Windows XP runs in. Therefore I am reluctant to switch to the new platform for fear that these programs will not run. Perhaps there is some individual out there who can fill us in on the compatability issues associated with the conversion to Vista from NT.

With the introduction of new programs that run only in the Vista environment, I may partition my drive to run both XP and Vista down the road.

However for those of you who just don't want to change, I don't think that you will have to worry about M.S. support of your XP. The company I work for has been running NT for 12 years now and their programming is geared toward this architecture. They are just now upgrading to Windows XP from Windows 2000. With the thousands of computers in this company, there will be lots of support for XP for many years to come. I suspect that must commercial and industrial giants are running in the NT setup and will still run XP. Our company is not the only one.

Thanks to the guys at testmy for this forum

Bill