Think windows vista is a POS? Your not alone.

Shug7272

Actually bryanlautt, your views are a little TOO biased, and I am not seeking to start a flame war here. First of all, the reason systems like Linux don't have a bigger part of share are various. First of all there are not many major programs designed from it, unlike Windows who has the backing of a multi billionaire company. Second, most computer distributors don't include Linux in their packages. When you look at servers though, you will find that Linux owns that market, destroying Windows Server. Linux is far more stable and is more efficient, so it's used in servers mostly. Third, Linux is not as easy to use as Windows, and though the community has been working on making it easier, there's a lot to do. There are many more, but I've listed some of the biggest reasons. Also, Mac is a low seller cuz... well... I don't know. The fact is that Windows is packaged with almost every consumer/retailer computer sold these days... and whoever says that's not a monopoly deserves a good punch =P.

Also, many people don't know what the hell is OEM, so they will never know they can get the same Vista OS without a $150 box and manual =P. Hopefully this will clear some points in this decade-old debate =).

Please don't tell people they are biased. We take the politeness rule very seriously here and we are all biased due to our past experiences and different viewpoints.  :grin2: :grin2: Glad you joined the conversation.  :grin2: :grin2:

I am glad to see the new blood getting in the mix. Very happy you enjoy the site UnclBill.  :grin2:

Actually bryanlautt, your views are a little TOO biased, and I am not seeking to start a flame war here. First of all, the reason systems like Linux don't have a bigger part of share are various. First of all there are not many major programs designed from it, unlike Windows who has the backing of a multi billionaire company. Second, most computer distributors don't include Linux in their packages. When you look at servers though, you will find that Linux owns that market, destroying Windows Server. Linux is far more stable and is more efficient, so it's used in servers mostly. Third, Linux is not as easy to use as Windows, and though the community has been working on making it easier, there's a lot to do. There are many more, but I've listed some of the biggest reasons. Also, Mac is a low seller cuz... well... I don't know. The fact is that Windows is packaged with almost every consumer/retailer computer sold these days... and whoever says that's not a monopoly deserves a good punch =P.

Also, many people don't know what the hell is OEM, so they will never know they can get the same Vista OS without a $150 box and manual =P. Hopefully this will clear some points in this decade-old debate =).

yeah just wanted to clear things up though with you and to every other linux lover out there.  Its not that i dont linux and Mac its because theres not alot of programs out there for linux versus Windows.  I like the fact that Microsoft bundles software with there OS..   Keeps me from having to buy extra software to browse or whatever.  I am excited that Dell is goign to offer linux on there systems and dell will actually support it which is cool.  I've been a MS Fan since DOS 3.0 which those of you green behind the ears DOS stands for Disk Operating System.  Yes i have worked with linux at an ISP company.  I have used Samba Sever and Ihave used Macs even those old G4's  

Also as far as Windows and Linux servers market share well you seem to be wrong about your calculations

Note::  IDC this week issued a report predicting that Windows Server will snare 60 percent of the server market by 2008, compared to just 29 percent for Linux.

I think for those of you that despise microsoft and use windows to me is really funny because if i dont like something its very simple to me, I DONT USE IT!!  So format your drive and load your linux i mean come on what are u afraid of.  Its simple from what what i heard so easy to load up and configure right??  never have to worry about security wholes or viruses again right???  I am sure they have a site called Linux update to check your computer for the latest update??

What about gaming i am sure theres alot of gaming titles out there for linux??  I mean i know bestbuy and other stores have rows of linux software.  

again i rest my case.

With people switching to lynix. There are just way to many choices and it can be confusing. I gave lynix a shot and got so frustrated with it I gave up. Tried ubuntu and what a pain in da bottom.

They really need to change the lynix inviroment a bit more so it is a bit easier to install and dual boot with xp. I even tried to get help in the forums with not much luck. Lets face it most programs most are used to runs in windows. Until someone can offer a step by step guide for a complete noob not only how to install but how to dual boot then I am just gonna stay away from it. Yes I looked for guides but thoes seemed abit to much. Guess I am just to used to xp.

Errr... Bryan the post was going fine until the last paragraph =P. Its not that I am a Windows or Microsoft hater, hell I own a Xbox360 and I love Vista with all my heart (awwww), it is just that I wanted to make some points across. I am not saying Linux is the perfect OS either, it has many flaws which are obvious. Also, about the IDC report, it must be noted that it is for 2008 and if the next version of Windows Server is released, and Linux and UNIX, which are very similar in architecture and work technically the same way (of course there are differences) are separated in the IDC reports, which could bring the tally closer to Windows. Right now, if you unite the Unix and Linux share, it is superior to Windows. The report (as many analysts) is predicting what could happen by next year, so there is no sure bet.

The excuse of MS bundling software with their OS is invalid as well, as all major Linux distribution add a boatload of software to their OS, even more than Microsoft does. You get OpenOffice, an alternative to Microsoft Office... which reads its documents and is totally free, Firefox... a browser that is also available to Windows (and which kicks Internet Explorer many times in the.. err, butt code?), Gimp (an alternative to Photoshop), etc and the list goes on and on, so that point of MS bundling software fails.

About gaming... of course it's stuck. Most developers use DirectX, which is licensed exclusive to Windows... which owns the biggest share, so of course more games will land there. There are some commercial Linux games running in SDL or OpenGL... Unreal Tournament comes to mind quick. There's also Cedega and Wine, which emulate some Windows games with great accuracy... of course not to the same degree of perfection. Also, you mentioned Best Buy, which is considered a mainstream store... so of course they won't have Linux games... it is a very small niche. The most games I've seen for a non-Windows platform is some Mac games in CompUSA.

Loving Vista!! (though the March Compatibility Update isn't installing in my PC >_<)

It just amazes me how people will knock windows and talk about the flaws or this or that basically if people dont like the OS or microsoft then dont use there products is all im saying I dont go around starting up posts, "Do you think Linux is a POS?? your not alone"  or Mac for that matter.

I mean its been 5 years since the XP came out so yes for me i love the new face lift and all the other security and options it has to offer.  and i want it with out running programs in the back ground to make it look like Vista. 

Its not just the look its also the new security and being more in control of what your programs are doing in the background.

for some people they might say thats annoying if they dont like it then go back to xp or you can even turn it off in vista but then whats the point of even having a firewall might was have open ports as well to and not run AV software i mean who cares about security right????  I mean come now all those extra features take so much time to click the ok button.  wow that was a work out wasnt it to lift your finger lol

With people switching to lynix. There are just way to many choices and it can be confusing. I gave lynix a shot and got so frustrated with it I gave up. Tried ubuntu and what a pain in da bottom.

They really need to change the lynix inviroment a bit more so it is a bit easier to install and dual boot with xp. I even tried to get help in the forums with not much luck. Lets face it most programs most are used to runs in windows. Until someone can offer a step by step guide for a complete noob not only how to install but how to dual boot then I am just gonna stay away from it. Yes I looked for guides but thoes seemed abit to much. Guess I am just to used to xp.

Linux has really always been a pain to switch too. Its just easy for 99% of people.

Apple has made it really easy to switch and the linux people should really follow them.

Linux has really always been a pain to switch too. Its just easy for 99% of people.

Apple has made it really easy to switch and the linux people should really follow them.

I agree with you there that Apple has designed there OS with simplicity in mind unlike Linux.  I just dont think linux has the backing of money like apple and microsft does.  I think if linux steered away the the hard core linux guro approach and added more simplicity to there OS i think more and more people wouldnt mind switching. 

Microsoft must be doing things right:  "The London Stock Exchange chooses Windows 2003 Server for Reliablity over Linux."

Microsoft must be doing things right:  "The London Stock Exchange chooses Windows 2003 Server for Reliablity over Linux."

Thats total BS. they use windows because Microsoft suppled them with everything for free. No one who knows anything about a server would choose windows over Linux for reliability. Linux is far more reliable then windows and is more secure then windows will ever be. 

I agree with dlewis23, it's common knowledge that Linux destroys Windows in anything server related. It's a truth... serverwise Linux is the king, homewise Windows is king. I agree Linux should be easier to use, but I am sure the developers working on the different distros will make an easy to sue OS in the road.

And thats one thing... there are so many Linux distros it's confusing... some of the biggest devs should unite and form one OS to really challenge Microsoft, until then... MEEEEH, gotta wait =P.