How much of a performace difference is there between 2GB and 3GB of ram?

Guest Kilroy44

Guest Kilroy44

Hey guys, I am going to order up a laptop this summer, (I'm looking at a MacBook Pro) to dual boot Windows Vista and OSX off of. Anyways there is an option for 3GB of ram but its like another 500 bucks. So I'm curious in Vista/OSX will there be a real noticeable performance difference between 2gb and 3gb?

Help would be appreciated

Guest Kilroy44

I was looking and I can get an additional 2gb stick for like $287. I was just wondering for normal internet surfing,etc Maybe a rar occasion of video encoding

Guest PeePs

**** i only have 1 GB of memory and I do a lot of intense computing things (video encoding, gaming, etc.) and it seems to be enough, but then again i have XP and not Vista. Yeah, but really I don't think you need the extra GB of memory. I'd save the money and maybe go to IHOP a few of times instead  :smiley: .

yeah Vista handles memory alot better, the more the better.  XP cant really take advantage of huge amounts of memory, 4gigs on XP is all it can handle. actually a friend of mine has 4 gigs on XP and actually 3 show up but the BIOS reports 4 lol

windows won't see all 4 unless it's 64-bit...

Was that with Vista for you or XP because my brother has 4 Gigs on his Vista machine and it all shows up running a 32 bit system.

when i can afford 4 gigs, i'll let you know.. lol

that's just my understanding...